• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

Grenades do a min damage of 60 now(compared to 100) and have the same high damage value of 120hp. That was to try to better represent the un-reliability of the grenade of the period, but if that 40 less min damage makes such a big difference i can change that back.
Once upon a time grenades damaged SEVERAL people, all those near to the explosion. Is that feature still there?

So do these weapons actually have a 'damaged' state even though they won't tell you in the items inventory screen(no textures for it etc)? I'm sure i've seen a boarding axe 'break' and dissappear during combat before, so this is why i ask?(this is assuming you use the weapon mod to have damage to blades etc)
If I recall, non-qualitized weapons can still break.

pieter is this a new continuation of build 14? or a new mod added in build 14? is this new? im getting mind head aches arrrr!
I'm not sure what you mean. Will Turner and Davy Jones are in Build 14 and Indiana Jones isn't going to be.
I don't even remember making that comment, but it was just me joking around over a year ago now. :wacko:

Once upon a time grenades damaged SEVERAL people, all those near to the explosion. Is that feature still there?
Should still be there, yes. Haven't tried for a while, but we never purposefully removed that. :no
Why would we? That's what makes a grenade a GRENADE! :whipa

CCC: A daughter brought over case of IPA which I drank last nite, so I'm in poor condition today. I'm not sure I understand your post on the last page. The ctds start after a long period of play, say around the battle for Bridgetown. Because Pieter's and Sulan's changes require a new game I am currently some time away from getting the ctds.

I have tried Pieter's 2nd solution by itself, but not the 1st one by itself. It made a difference as a game normally lasts till level 22 or so and that last game was still going at level 37 when I stopped to test new ideas. This game has both ideas in it.

The price of gold and silver varies from island to island. The run between St. Pierre and San Juan was always profitable because one had cheap gold and the other had cheap silver. No more. :eek:k

Grenades are an area weapon. Anyone in their blast range takes damage. It normally takes 3-5 grenades to kill someone now early in the game. Later it will take more.

What is blade 38? It has major problems.

It normally takes 3-5 grenades to kill someone now early in the game. Later it will take more.
Wait, what?! That's probably more grenades than any one man would carry at once, especially for the era!
That sounds pretty useless to me. It should be more like 1 to cause heavy injury, and another to finish them off (early in the game), and that's being kind.
Even like that, the victims are lucky to die with all their limbs attached... 'twould be a bloody mess otherwise. :eww

The grenade thing does sound weird doesn't it? I've yet to properly test a bunch of them out extensively, although i have used a couple and they seemed to work ok. I wonder if luck and other factors reduce damage? Or maybe if Hylie was playing with no limits of enemy levels he bumped into a group of level 30 bad guys or something? As was mentioned above Grenades do exactly the same top damge of 120 as they always did but now have a lower rate of 60 hp instead of 100hp(as grenades were a bit crap in this era) but they should still kill or main easily.

What level do you need to be to have more than 100hp? It will be interesting to se if others have the same issue as Hylie, or if he has it again?

3-5 grenades to kill someone early in the game?? Can you even carry that many (realistically for that time period)?

The grenades were recently changed to be much weaker. I think their accuracy was reduced from 100% to 79% and their minimum damage was also lowered. My last fight was on the dock at Sao Jorge. It was a 4 on 4 with my guys all wearing guilded cuirasses and excellent swords. I have a Bosuns Choice. I was at level 8 and over 110hp and had over 200 grenades. I started lobbing them at extreme range and killed some townspeople too, but the fighters took 4 grenades to kill and it came down to the swords and one officer and myself were pretty well chopped up. That was a typical fight for me as at level 8 I'm just getting to where I can sometimes survive a fight. I guess they do about as much damage as a pistol now, but a pistol only has one shot.

Ah it might be the accuracy changes then? That can be looked at, although the previous setting of 100% doesn't really seem 'right', but maybe the expectation of always hitting accurately when throwing one is now used to that 100% setting? These are not modern grenades so all the changes were to make them less 'uber' than they used to be(and the price at 10 gold!! I think someone loved just lobbing loads of grenades around and wanted them cheap!!), but i can look at the accuracy thing again and boost it up a bit.......about 85%-90% should be max possible i feel.

Edit: infact i just looked at the latest values i've been using and it is:

min.dam = 40(was 100)
max.dam =120
accuracy = 60(was 99)

those values are not in the patches so far, but i might upgrade them a bit(60 mindam + 80 accuracy).

And Hylie what are you doing with 200 grenades!! That is some private army level stuff you got there!!! Maybe they should be more 'rare' as in not that many held in stock for the average person to buy on mass? I get the feeling looking at the overall old stats, that maybe they, like the 'bombs' for ships weapons, were being over exploited by players maybe!

Here's some info on the early grenades and the people that used them:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/grenade.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/245783/grenade

http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/grenadier.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadier

They were powerful for sure, but i don't think they should be an 'I win' weapon in the game. Maybe we can look at increasing damage at the top end(with the low end as is(about 60)), but keeping the accuracy around were it is currently(no more than 85% any way)? The grenades of the period in the game were nearly as likely to kill the user as the intended target!

Might be that common.ini wasn't updated accordingly. It's the only reason I can think of, but it might also be because of my changes to your changes. :whipa

You're right, captain! For some reason the common.ini only knows Britain, not England. Just insert the following line before line 980 in common.ini:

string = gen_England,"England"

Edit: And to the section below:

string = adj_English,"English"

Fixed. Attached the file. Put it into POTC\RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH

just to say that edit did the trick. Looking at the file we had 'English' in the other sections, just not those two. And as a brit, i consider it historically accurate that we would be classed as 'English' in general by other nations, it's often much the same today!

I would just like to say something about the thing with combat and the changes I made:
I just changed the way critical hits work, making it so there's not a too sudden difference in damage between them and normal hits. It's less likely to kill or be killed with just one strike now. If combat is harder and it's easier to get killed, something else must have been changed as well. :?

There have been a lot of changes made Baste. The grenades, swords, and who knows what else have been changed. I have been killed by a single stroke while wearing a guilded cuirass. I guess he lopped me head off. But that is at a lower level, like level 8.

Why do I have so many grenades? Because I toss them around like candy early on, and later the supply dries up. I have run out in earlier games. Once I get levelled up enough I switch to guns because the grenades become ineffective. But they always work against priests with no reputation hit.

But they always work against priests with no reputation hit.
And you're throwing grenades at priests why, exactly? The poor guys can't be that annoying, surely? xD:
Doing that should definitely merit a rep decrease, especially since they're unarmed.

Oh, I see. All right. Seems wrong that you get killed with just one strike, though, especially while wearing armor. :eek:

Well Hylie, what makes you think they are armed?? LOL

Oh, I see. All right. Seems wrong that you get killed with just one strike, though, especially while wearing armor. :eek:

One thing i've noticed for a while now(since jumping in at patch 5) is that sometimes you come across a group of bad guys that just cut you to ribbons. I 'think' this is due to the setting 'have enemy encounters not scaled to your level'(or something like that). For example i've always been very carefull in Build 14 with that starting dungeon in Speightstown, mostly giving it a wide berth until i'm atleast level 4-5 with a good bunch of combat capable officers to accompany me. I've lost count of how often i've died in that place!!

Also occasionally you will come across a bunch of bandits in the jungle(so four of them) and they will kill you a number of times, at which point you have to reload and just leave them be - they are simply too tough for you, but atleast they stand still if you don't approach them.

So in general since i've been playing Build 14 beta i've found the combat much more deadly than it used to be and that was before any of the recent modding stuff(which may be making it harder or easier - we need more testing). I've kind of got used to that now and treat each combat as 'life or death'. The caribbean of this period and setting feels as dangerous as it probably was!!!

I've improved armour a bit in my test files so we can see how that works out. And i carry a rucksack full of bandages and potions with me(and give my accompanying officers atleast 5 bandages and a couple of potions also) as i need them, which is good as this means i have to spend quite a bit of money on healing.

In terms of sword damage we have a wider range now, with more lower damage items than we used to have, but also more that do heavier damage at the top end of the swords, these can be adjusted easily enough if they need to be. Guns are about the same level as they were and grenades had been toned down(but the enemy AI never seem to use them, so this will only effect the player doing damage to an enemy).

is that really practical? swordfighting makes up a pretty big part of the game. consistently dying from it sounds rather irritating.

Back