• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 2.4 Test Versions

Ok, I stopped last night when entering San Juan. That is where I bought the corvette. Here it is. You are now as far into the game as I am.
I ran out of time for testing this. So far I found the following:
- Apparently tradeHigh is NOT the culprit
- I thought perhaps it was because ship upgrades were being included in the price, but when I tried to sell a ship without upgrades, she still sells for too much
Will have to continue looking into this next week.

Yes I do.
The encounters I run into while direct sailing between islands are one of the most fun features I enjoy in this game, be sure of it. :sail
Well, those encounters should have flagships. :yes

I use iron man mode just to don't get any spyglass information. Recognizing flags is not that easy, depending on sight and direction of wind. And I really like those surprises, when something I thought being peaceful reveals being a blood thursty enemy squadron - just because I misjudjed the flag. I really like it.
I'm glad to see you enjoying that feature so much! I wasn't sure if anyone might even want to use it when we put it in there.
As I think I may have said before, I always liked the idea of it for those very reasons you mentioned. Never have the time to actual play like that though.

Here are a few things I've seen no mention of in that list:

Fully agreed - the time is the very bad point of it.
If there were a way to combine world map travel with realistic looking encounters (meaning - other than this warp into action it usually is) I would go for it.
Just sailing straight for a game day or two is not that exciting.
But the way encounters slowly develope makes it worth the efford for me.

Then you would like the Open Sea Mod. Using the advanced options you can set everything to be the same as Iron Mam Mode and still have the option of going to the world map to sail from island to island. When you arrive at the island it drops you out there so far that the island is often invisible until you finally get close enough. So there is plenty of real time sailing. Also, when one encounters ships on the world map and you drop out to look, they are way out there so there is lots of time to decide what to do and sail to the most advantageous position. Until the wind changes..........

Hello Hylie,

I already know that. But I thought in open sea mod, I still use the standas spyglass which tells me precisely what I am viewing. I don't like this. If not for the spyglass, I would not use the iron man. I would like the occasional quick travel and world map travel. But I think the spyglass is tied to iron man.

Well, for that reason I alwys vote for toggles not doing too many things at once :dance

I see. The spyglass used to be adjustable in buildsettings.h but does not seem to be adjustable anymore.

I found someone wandering around town after installing the WIP2 with no face. Then the Governors pirate quest message appears whether or not you are on a quest.
message.jpgwhodat.jpg

I agree with the direct sail and switching it off for the quest and once its done have it reenable

so those are included armada? or do i need to download's those too?

Hello there,

after downloading and installing I played several hours with it, thook me half the night. I really love it.

The new design of brown menus look much better than before. Readability has been increased greatly.
Also, 2.4 seems to run much more stable than 2.3. I had one game crash that whole evening, this is much better than before.
The pirate hunt quests work really nice now. I haven't seen one broken while playing. The pirates now appear at random locations around islands, some very close, even in firing range of the fort, and some further away. So some pirates you get very fast, while others give you quite a chase. I hunted one for 2 game-days until I finally got him. :keith
To me it seems that the distance from enemy ships that prevents saving the game has been increased, which is ok with the better stability (I would not have liked this with the game crashing at any 2nd boarding combat as it did in 2.3).

I haven't yet seen new ship models, but 'm looking forward to them. Playing the latest era, I hope to see one of the new merchant corvettes soon.

Really great work! :onya

Hello there,

after downloading and installing I played several hours with it, thook me half the night. I really love it.

The new design of brown menus look much better than before. Readability has been increased greatly.
Also, 2.4 seems to run much more stable than 2.3. I had one game crash that whole evening, this is much better than before.
The pirate hunt quests work really nice now. I haven't seen one broken while playing. The pirates now appear at random locations around islands, some very close, even in firing range of the fort, and some further away. So some pirates you get very fast, while others give you quite a chase. I hunted one for 2 game-days until I finally got him. :keith
To me it seems that the distance from enemy ships that prevents saving the game has been increased, which is ok with the better stability (I would not have liked this with the game crashing at any 2nd boarding combat as it did in 2.3).

I haven't yet seen new ship models, but 'm looking forward to them. Playing the latest era, I hope to see one of the new merchant corvettes soon.

Really great work! :onya
pretty much sums up what i was going to say :rofl

I installed WIP2 last night and also played for some hours. You like the chocolate menu too!
Do you get the message saying that direct sail has been disabled all the time? I do even though I have not talked to a Governor yet.
The distance to enemy ships that one can save at should be 500 yards. At what range does the music change?

I am playing as a French Fry again in 1664 sailing a fantasy Gaff Schooner at 1500 tons. Methinks that the only ships that can compete with it are the new Indiaman. It also seems that the light fluyt has been down rated. The ones I have seen in shipyards are in the 1400-1800 ton range and they used to be in the 1800-2200 ton range.
Less CTDs? Outstanding!

I installed WIP2 last night and also played for some hours. You like the chocolate menu too!
Do you get the message saying that direct sail has been disabled all the time? I do even though I have not talked to a Governor yet.
The distance to enemy ships that one can save at should be 500 yards. At what range does the music change?

I am playing as a French Fry again in 1664 sailing a fantasy Gaff Schooner at 1500 tons. Methinks that the only ships that can compete with it are the new Indiaman. It also seems that the light fluyt has been down rated. The ones I have seen in shipyards are in the 1400-1800 ton range and they used to be in the 1800-2200 ton range.
Less CTDs? Outstanding!
yeah , im getting the messages that direct sail has been disabled. :l

There are lots of spyglass settings in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
// ======================================
// SPYGLASS VIEW by KBLACK
// ======================================

// --- Makes the info given by spyglasses unaccurate and depending of distance
// (all nautical terms are in spanish - except those I know in English)
// (all settings are INT)

// --- KBSPG - Fine tuning section (set by default to "Fun" )
// --- Accuracy parameters
#define KBSPGACCSPG1                4            // Accuracy parameter of Cheap Spyglass
#define KBSPGACCSPG2                3            // Accuracy parameter of Standard Spyglass
#define KBSPGACCSPG3                2            // Accuracy parameter of Good Spyglass
#define KBSPGACCSPG4                1            // Accuracy parameter of Mastercraft Spyglass

// --- Range parameters. Further modified by Accuracy of spyglass

#define KBSPGRANGEHULL                700            // Range in yards to start getting info about hull status
#define KBSPGRANGECLASS                1500        // Range in yards to start getting info about class of ships ( number of decks and details of hull )
#define KBSPGRANGECANNONS            750         // Range in yards to start getting info about number of cannons (counting "portas")
#define KBSPGRANGEGUNPOWDER            250            // Range in yards to start getting info about quantity of gunpowder (counting "portas")
#define KBSPGRANGENAME                450            // Range in yards to start getting info about name of ships (you've to be close to read it)
#define KBSPGRANGELOAD                250            // Range in yards to start getting info about type of ammo loaded

#define KBSPGRANGESAILS                1400        // Range in yards to start getting info about sails status (easy to see from far away)
#define KBSPGRANGENATION            1300        // Range in yards to start getting info about nation - if you see the sails, you see the flag - further away you get "UNKNOWN" nation
#define KBSPGRANGESPEED                1000        // Range in yards to start getting info about speed - although more inaccurate with the distance, you can guess it
                                                // from the waves the ship makes, and the change in distance, and the rigging deployed

#define KBSPGRANGECREW                450            // Range in yards to start getting info about number of sailors (in realistic, fun or tuned, you'll get the fraction
                                                // of sailors in the topo deck, and have to calculate depending the number of decks the ships has - a lugger, what you
                                                // see it's what you get; a manowar, you have most of the crew in the lower decks
#define KBSPGRANGEMORALE            350            // Range in yards to start getting info about morale of crew
#define KBSPGRANGECALIBER            500            // Range in yards to start getting info about caliber of guns

#define KBSPGRANGETYPE                1800        // Range in yards to get the type of ship - really funny to have to guess the ship by the shape :-)
                                                // No need for RANGE - but also spyglasses return unaccurate info about distance

// --- Variability of the info - scalar to tune how wide is the range of variable info. I't multiplied by accuracy of spyglass.

#define KBSPGVARHULL                5            // Default 5 - Higher more unaccurate
#define KBSPGVARCANNONS                20            // Default 20 - Lower more unaccurate
#define KBSPGVARGUNPOWDER            20            // Default 20 - Lower more unaccurate
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARCLASS
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARNAME
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARLOAD

#define KBSPGVARSAILS                1            // Default 1 - Higher more unaccurate
#define KBSPGVARSPEED                100            // Default 100 - Lower more unaccurate
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARSAILS

#define KBSPGVARCREW                10            // Default 10 - Lower more unaccurate
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARMORALE
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARCALIBER
                                                // No need for KBSPGVARTYPE

#define KBSPGVARRANGE                20            // Default 20 - Lower more unaccurate
At some point I'll probably put it some settings to allow players to define their own realism mode. Not sure when I'll get round to doing that though.

That headless character is a model from CoAS and there aren't any separate head models. So we're not going to get a face there.
At the moment, I figured we could have those characters always enabled without a toggle. Does anyone think we do need a toggle on them?

Yep, I get the directsail turned off message when I do pirate hunt quests. Works fine.
I don't know about exact distances, because I'm in iron man mode and don't get such information with the spyglass. But my guess is it is about firing range - that would be about 500 yards. In 2.3 I am sure I could save while being in firing range.

And I just see the Essex class frigate doies not have a picture (the one that's used in shipyard and ship menu).

Oh, and using my old 2.3 savegames worked well after reinitializing, so I did not start a new career.

Yep, I get the directsail turned off message when I do pirate hunt quests. Works fine.
I don't know about exact distances, because I'm in iron man mode and don't get such information with the spyglass. But my guess is it is about firing range - that would be about 500 yards. In 2.3 I am sure I could save while being in firing range.

And I just see the Essex class frigate doies not have a picture (the one that's used in shipyard and ship menu).

Oh, and using my old 2.3 savegames worked well after reinitializing, so I did not start a new career.
yeah my save's worked also, i dont have that image either. but im getting those message's even when not doing any quest's, ill have a look at the range in a bit. :)

Thanks for that! Looks like I did include them, but forgot to mention them. Here is the modified changelog including those too:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 2.4:
- Archipelago Map added in Documentation folder by Jaco
- Bug Fixes:
  . Worldmap encounters are no longer always skippable; this now depends on the relative speeds between squadrons by Pieter Boelen
  . Tier 1 Ships no longer give a penalty on characters with Leadership and Sailing skill of 9 and above by Pieter Boelen
  . Nation Relation related issues fixed, including Governor, Storekeeper and Tavern Owner quest availability by Pieter Boelen
  . Portuguese Soldiers in Period Revolutions and more modern fixed by Pieter Boelen
  . After declining Pirate Hunting missions, you can get another mission after three days by Pieter Boelen
  . Antigua Victualler now always accepts completion of Trade Quests by Pieter Boelen
  . Steam engines fixed for non-player ships by Pieter Boelen
  . Player boardermodels after French promotion fixed by Pieter Boelen
  . US design ships maximum calibre of 32 enforced by Pieter Boelen
  . Governor's Harbor (Eleuthera) governor Cole Arkwright slight dialog error fixed by Pieter Boelen
  . Barbados Lighthouse location name fixed by Pieter Boelen
- Code Updates:
  . CannonFX v3.0 mod added by Merciless Mark
    > Set the realism level in PROGRAM\InternalSetting.h with the USE_PARTICLES_CANNONS setting
  . Default controls modified:
    > Left Mouse Button for Attack and Right Mouse Button for Block
  . Repeatedly Paying Salary gives an increasing Leadership bonus each month by Pieter Boelen
    > Repeatedly Skipping Salary payment given an increasingly large morale drop
  . Pirate Hunting target ships generated at a random location around the island by Pieter Boelen
  . DirectSail disabled during Pirate Hunting quest to prevent target ship from disappearing by Pieter Boelen
  . Many ship stats fixed and improved by Armada
  . Storm sea colour improved by Armada
  . Cannon fire sounds updated by priatnia
  . Corsairs III models enabled by agentad
  . Moving the camera to NON-player vessels disabled in Iron Man Mode by Pieter Boelen
  . Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding abilities disabled in Iron Man Mode by Pieter Boelen
  . Nation Relations text adjusted to display properly regardless of character's name length by Armada
- Ship Model Updates:
  . Yards can move further with the wind by Hylie Pistof
  . Stock game corvette completely remodeled to high-detail Aurora class Frigate by Armada, rigging improved by Hylie Pistof
    Applies to Corvette1, Corvette2 and RN_Corvette
  . Fast Merchantmen completely remodeled as scrapped navy vessels based on the Aurora class Frigate by Armada, rigging improved by Hylie Pistof
    Applies to Fastmerchantman1 and Fastmerchantman2
  . HMS Centurion 1732 high-detail custom model added by KrisWood and Captain Armstrong
  . Arcadia Xebec high-detail custom model added by Elessaria , ported by Rider88
  . British, Dutch and Portuguese skin of Trinity 2nd Rate high-detail custom model added by Noriruru
  . British, Dutch and French skin of USS Essex 1799 high-detail custom model added by Captain Armstrong
  . Apostol Felipe texture mapping upgrade by Armada, rigging improved by Hylie Pistof
  . Amsterdam rigging improved by Hylie Pistof
  . Lyon Hoy hull upgraded by Hylie Pistof
  . Carrack and Spanish Battle Galleon rigging improved by Hylie Pistof
  . Cursed Flying Dutchman now uses fixed locators from Flying Dutchman by Armada
  . Postillionen bow smoothness fixed by Armada
- Texture Updates:
  . Brown interface textures improved by Armada
  . Brown Interface various display errors fixed by Armada
  . Fixed Battle Interface textures included by Armada
  . Loading Screen Tips textures updated by Baste
  . Flying Dutchman sails improved by Armada
- Storyline Updates:
  . ENABLE_CHEATMODE functionality added: Woodes Rogers storyline Blackbeard's Head added in opening cabin scene to allow skipping to various quest cases Jack Rackham
  . Woodes Rogers storyline various bugs fixed Jack Rackham
  . Master & Commander storyline navy aspects deleted to allow better free play by Pieter Boelen
  . Standard storyline Joaquin de Masse dialog error fixed by agentad
  . Standard storyline cursed pirate replaced with Ragetti from the Pirates of the Caribbean films by Pieter Boelen
I think the Apostol Felipe texture upgrade you did was included in Hylie Pistof's update of her, right? Because I noticed the hull GM file I have is newer than the one you uploaded.
Also, I think you made a further update to the Battle Interface textures after the original Ship Tier Mod release, because one of my files is newer.

[...]
I don't think any of the code updates we did should influence game stability and battle distances at sea one way or another. :confused:
Indeed, I made a boo boo. In PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c find:
Code:
if( GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") == "begin" && !CheckAttribute(pchar, "kill_pirate_refused_timer") )
Replace with:
Code:
if( GetAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") == "begin" && !CheckAttribute(pchar, "quest.kill_pirate_refused_timer") )
That should fix it. :doff

That's true. Armada is still working on updating the Ship Screenshots files, but won't release the fixed ones before he is done with his upgraded Corvettes.
They'll be included in the final release version of Beta 2.4, of course. :yes
Other related things that still need to be sorted:
The following ships don't have any model descriptions:
- All versions of the Postillionen
- Empress
- La_Marianna (also no interface screenshot)
- US_PrinceNeufchatel
- All versions of the Volage
- PO_Trinity, RN_Trinity and NL_Trinity (also no interface screenshot)
- All versions of Essex have no interface screenshot
- All early Neptunus versions
- XemecVML (also no interface screenshot)
- HMS_Centurion (also no interface screenshot)

Also, I think some model descriptions need editing now that we changed some paint schemes.
Would anyone be able to sort our some ship model descriptions that we can add?

Heya Pieter!

I don't think any of the code updates we did should influence game stability and battle distances at sea one way or another. :confused:

I am perfectly sure about both.
The longer distance I realized in my first ship to ship combat after installing, I am absolutely sure about it. Before, I saved very frequently in combat, and I could do it because the distance that prevented it was very short. Now it is considerably longer. I had lots of other combats since then I and I am convinced my first impression was right. For example, there was a combat with a pirate pack of fast schooners last night, and I could not save because there always was a ship close to me. Not until the battle was won and the last schooener was running away at high speed. In 2.3, I would have saved a dozen times in such a situation.

About stability, I had until now 2 game crasehs in about 9 hours of gameply. In 2.3 I had about 2 crashes in one hour of gameplay.

So whatever has been done, it's very good, even if no one remembers having it done. :onya

Well, I went through all differences between 2.3 and 2.4 and didn't see anything that should influence any of it. Still, not complaining though. :cheeky

Back