• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 2 Crashing Issues

Nenketsu

Landlubber
Hello there, first off I'd like to thank the community for continuing to make such wonderful mods. I've been playing your mods off and on for a bit over a year now, and have enjoyed them immensely. Now on to my problems. On a fresh OS install, a fresh install of the PotC game, and a fresh install of the build 14 beta 2 mod I have constant issues with regards to crashing. These problems are not located to any one scenario, but rather I'm finding new ones all the time. For starters, the worst type of crash that I frequently encounter is when I save. I would say my game crashes during saving about 50% of the time on my older saves, and 20% of the time on brand new games. This corrupts my game save, thus forcing me to load an earlier save or start a new game entirely. Other crashes are entirely random, any where from open sea, to on a ship (boarding), to on foot in an island, etc. This is annoying to say the least, and most certainly prevents me from playing the game with any real sense of progress. I'd love to get some opinions on how I might resolve these issues or if it's a lost cause. :shrug

Computer Specifications:

HP DV7-1183CL
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.0Ghz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
Running resolution: 1920 x 1080

Any additional information needed provided upon request.

Thank you,
Nenketsu

*EDIT* For some reason this was not posted into the Bugs section. Sorry for the hassle. :facepalm

:gday mate!

This is the best place to post this because the bug tracker is mainly for tracking confirmed bugs.

I looked up your laptop and what I noticed first is that its screen resolution is 1440X900. How does POTC run at that resolution? It is possible that you are pushing your graphics chip too hard.

:gday mate!

This is the best place to post this because the bug tracker is mainly for tracking confirmed bugs.

I looked up your laptop and what I noticed first is that its screen resolution is 1440X900. How does POTC run at that resolution? It is possible that you are pushing your graphics chip too hard.

I don't believe the issue lies in the GPU being over worked. To confirm this I have run the game at 800 x 600 (as well as native 1440 x 900) with all detail at lowest and have encountered the same crashing issues. I run this game on 1080p at 16x AF and 8x AA with a constant, smooth 30+ FPS. At the same time my GPU's temperature does not go above 70-72°C. I finally got the Config.exe to open properly, I was getting an error whenever I tried to open it before. With that open I've been able to disable "Safe Mode" under sound options, as per recommended by the installer. I have no idea whether or not that has or will affect my crashing issues. With around 30 minutes of game play (All at sea), one full sea encounter (Including a boarding), and a multitude of saves (Both manual and quick) on an older save, I did not experience a crash. There was a time during one manual save that the game froze, however, the game resumed after a slight hesitation. I will report back when I have more time to play and test it out, but any further comments on my issue would be appreciated. :doff

Thank you,
Nenketsu

I have a couple of suggestions:
- Do you have ENB graphics mod installed? If the in-game graphics shows any graphical anomaly or texture corruption, try uninstalling the mod and see if that improves stability.
- Try reinstalling the game. It seems like the game engine can become corrupted for no apparently reason. (happened to me... played game more or less fine for about a week and then the game started to crash right at loading screen) A fresh installation might solve the problem.
- Try updating your graphics driver - you never know :shrug

Mine crashes frequently as well, although saving games work OK for me; not being able to save really sucks. Hope this helps.

Ah, you jogged my memory. There are some laptops with Nvidia chipsets that have both Intel and Nvidia graphics installed, and the computer will sometimes switch between them. Intel graphics causes CTDs.

The cure for this is to go into the BIOS and disable the Intel graphics.

Sorry for the late reply, I nearly forgot I had created a topic. Since disabling the "Safe Mode" listed before, I have not had nearly as many crashing issues. I do, however, still have graphical anomalies.

I have a couple of suggestions:
- Do you have ENB graphics mod installed? If the in-game graphics shows any graphical anomaly or texture corruption, try uninstalling the mod and see if that improves stability.
- Try reinstalling the game. It seems like the game engine can become corrupted for no apparently reason. (happened to me... played game more or less fine for about a week and then the game started to crash right at loading screen) A fresh installation might solve the problem.
- Try updating your graphics driver - you never know :shrug

Mine crashes frequently as well, although saving games work OK for me; not being able to save really sucks. Hope this helps.

I do not have the ENB graphics mod installed, so there should be no issue there.
As stated in the first post, it was a fresh install of the game. Actually re-install for that matter.
I have the newest stable release Nvidia drivers installed.
Thanks for the tips. ;)

Ah, you jogged my memory. There are some laptops with Nvidia chipsets that have both Intel and Nvidia graphics installed, and the computer will sometimes switch between them. Intel graphics causes CTDs.

The cure for this is to go into the BIOS and disable the Intel graphics.

That could be the case, I will check inside my BIOS and see whether or not I have an Intel chip that I can switch off.

Thanks for the responses, I'll be sure to update the thread if I find a fix for my anomalies. :doff

When I boarded a ship countless crashes if i loot a corpse.
If i don't loot the corpse the game work fine when i board a enemy ship.
The problem comes when I have bigger ships.
If i repaint my ship the game crash very often.

I am getting that in one of my games. If I loot corpses the boarding fails and it CTDs. If I don't loot, then it almost always makes it through the boarding battle. I am sailing a first rate.

I have been repainting often with no problems. :shrug

I am getting that in one of my games. If I loot corpses the boarding fails and it CTDs. If I don't loot, then it almost always makes it through the boarding battle. I am sailing a first rate.

I have been repainting often with no problems. :shrug

To start, I played 5 hours without a crash, after I had bigger ships the problems started. Every second board ended in a crash, without looting, there were far fewer problems.

Back