• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14 Beta 3 Issue

K-64

Landlubber
Right, so after downloading Build 14, I looked at the instructions closely just to make sure I did everything right (as in putting the .exe and .7z in the same folder and so on), and when that failed I even tried reinstalling a fresh run of PotC, just to make sure playing vanilla for a while wasn't the cause (no idea why that would be, but standard troubleshooting stuff, etc.). So after all that, I try to run the game, and it gets stuck at the initialising screen. Not a CTD or freezing, just sitting there idle

I've uploaded the error and system.log files although I do have an idea of what the problem is likely to be, since looking through the error log came up with seadogs.c causing a runtime error led me to look at the folder it was contained in. Turns out that a large amount of the files are 0 bytes in size, despite the download completing successfully and no errors being reported during the installation. So yeah, is there any solution to this other than redownloading the files again, since with my connection takes far too long

Attachments

• error.log
    68 bytes · Views: 106
  • system.log
    215 bytes · Views: 98
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 2
Invalid function: (null)
UH? Never seen that before.
What is the total size of your game folder?

Do you have 7-Zip? If so, try to extract the installation archive manually to see if it generates any errors then.

The game folder size is 5.14GB. Now that I think of it, isn't the full size of the installation around the 7GB mark?

That isn't even remotely big enough. Should be around 9.7 GB.
What size is the 7-Zip archive? Should be 2.33 GB.

The one I have is 2.33GB as well. Although when I test the files in the archive, a whole mess of CRC errors crop up.

Oh boy..:facepalm --sire, if I may be so bold, i think the main files on the Beta 3 Progress Thread shouldn't be removed for now. Well, you know just in case..?:shrug

and uhm..i downloaded the whole update archive again and should i still use the attached fix there?(well, i mean as you said) I didn't notice that earlier.

Just for the record I DLed part 1 and part 2 from MODDB, then DLed Pieter's updated part 1. Then installed a clean stock POTC, and then ran the installer.

Then played for hours with no problems other than a mutiny.

The main archive on the ModDB is correct. Sounds like a download problem, I'm afraid.

and uhm..i downloaded the whole update archive again and should i still use the attached fix there?(well, i mean as you said) I didn't notice that earlier.
If you've got the latest Update Archive, then no you don't.

Alright..well then, that clears it up! :thumbs1 :dance
and totally agreed with the download problem being the case here. :yes

I've been having trouble as well; every time I try to boot up the game, it brings up the initializing screen, goes all the way through it, then shows an error with the engine.exe file, and it shuts down.

Please post your .log files here, otherwise we'll be guessing.

yes, also attach the system and compile files of yours.
Okay, everytime a problem occurs, you might want to detail out what happened(like you did) plus the three log files, if you don't have the error.log, then just the two.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding(i did not express what i'm trying to say) but the compile.log file is not generated because your game didn't start, i did not pay attention to the problem(the error log is good enough, hehe:p). But in the future when you have problems(during the game), see if you can upload those three .log files. Sorry 'bout that again :oops:

Last edited:
And I should've said it, thank you for your apology; these are my very first posts, and I'm driving myself up a wall wanting to play the game; it looks really interesting.

I hope this is the file you meant; if you need me to I can attach any others.
Extract this to your main game folder. That should solve the problem.
Seems you ran into a compilation in the original upload, but that was fixed with the new installer EXE.

Attachments

• b14_beta3_fix.zip
    217.2 KB · Views: 152
i get the same problem even after having clean start 3 times i have tried i get the first little screen then that ,s it nothing else. myself and my partner have gone back to the build we where using and just keep adding the updates no doubt it will get the full programme in the finish , just going to install yesterdays update

Back