1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 31 August 2017]

Discussion in 'POTC: New Horizons Mod' started by Pieter Boelen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    I was about to say the same. @Jack Rackham, I'd recommend posting the password only in private in the future.
    Just in case....

2. Homo eructus

Homo eructus Freebooter Storm Modder

How definitive and stable are the post 31 August fixes? Should I install them before starting to update the translation or it would be better to stay in the main release

3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

@Grey Roger could confirm for sure, but as far as I understand, that archive is very stable and I would definitely recommend including them in your translation.
    Especially this one would probably be very relevant for you: "Many dialogs changed to react correctly to female player characters - @DeathDaisy 21/9/17"

Homo eructus likes this.
  4. Homo eructus

Good enough for me.

And, as an apetizer of things to come (hopefully), I'll upload my revised Spanish character names.

Attached Files:

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  5. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

It should be as stable as the main release.

Some more dialogs are going to change when the next set of fixes is released, partly to finish off @DeathDaisy's work for female characters in general, and partly because I've been playing with the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline to change Danielle Greene into Nathaniel Hawk when you play as a female character. That means a few dialogs in the main "PROGRAM\DIALOGS" folder will need to be translated again, but mainly it means you may want to wait before doing anything to "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\DIALOGS".

6. Grey Roger

You've left out "de Alencar"! That's not going to make the governor of San Juan very happy. ;) And I know it's a valid name because a quick Internet search turns up some real people with that name.

7. Ambrois LeGaillard

Ambrois LeGaillard Sailor Apprentice

Sea Captain and Troubleseeker
    In this nearly perfect work there is only a little thing that displease me:

when I get a barque (all sorts of Barque), the bridge appear ruined and ladders crashed. Instead, every other class of ships appear more or less new and unused.

8. Pieter Boelen

In 3D Sailing Mode, you mean?
    Stock game model, I think.

9. Grey Roger

There are several completely different types of barque, so you will need to be a bit more specific.

"English bark": formerly "Yacht", still called "Yacht1" and "Yacht2" for programming purposes;
    "European barque": models "Barque1" and "Barque2", fatter than the "English bark" types and lacking the beak on the bow;
    "Jackass Bark": model "Barque3_50", basically a "Yacht" variant with a lateen sail on the mainmast;
    "Barque Longue": model "BarqueHeavy", bigger than the other types, this is an import from "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales".

10. Homo eructus

I think he means the scene being all messy when you walk on deck in those small-ish ships. But the answer is the same: Stock game model originally used for boarding sections.

Not all of the names I've removed were incorrect, some were just very rare, or had to go to make room for some certain names that I wanted to get in (as kind of easter eggs, there are names of several famous Spanish seafarers), as I wanted to keep the same number of entries. Don't know exactly why I removed de Alencar but here it is restored.

Attached Files:

11. Grey Roger

I've already restored de Alencar along with a few more. It seems the game is not concerned if the number of entries is the same; I didn't need to take out any of your new names to make way for the restored old ones, and the game still worked. Meanwhile, those Spanish names which I'd used from the original list in my "Ardent" storyline, which aren't in the new list, and which didn't pass the Internet search test, have been replaced with names from your new list. For example, prison commandant Argibaio Galindez will henceforth be Atanagildo GalĂ­ndez.

Homo eructus likes this.
  12. Pieter Boelen

I think that's indeed true, but it does surprise me.
    The code looks like a function with inputs, but usually the number of inputs needs to be always the same for the same function.
    So I haven't a clue how they managed to make it so flexible here. o_O

13. Grey Roger

The name arrays are all defined in "globals.c", initially at size 2:
    Code:
    string    sSpManNames[2], sSpWomenNames[2], sSpFamilies[2];
    Presumably somewhere the arrays are expanded to fit the lists.

14. Homo eructus

Finally, it's here!

No, not the Spanish translation but the framework to make it work, and to eventually make it easier for other translations to be implemented. This should be essentially the unfinished multilanguage support for the mod now finished, mostly I hope. There may be more translatable instances that have flown under my radar, particularly in dialog files, that I have barely touched (only the LogIt strings and a few other things I've found)

I've updated interface_strings.txt with I think over 700 lines of text that I've been hunting down across the files, I've added probably thousands of translation strings and a few Spanish-only switches for parts where the English grammar and word order doesn't fit the translation (big thanks to @Pieter Boelen , @Grey Roger and all the folks that have been dealing with my ineptitude in the translation thread:bow). There are some unorthodox solutions and workarounds to some issues but nothing that should affect the main English version of the mod. Other things may be horribly wrong because I still don't really know very well what I'm doing when program files are concerned, but everythings seems to work fine on my end without causing errors.

I've also included my updated ShipModels_descriptions.txt with an attempt to make the descriptions more standarized and informative. I'd appreciate your opinons on that. Also in the zip is an updated ships_mames.c with revised Spanish names. I haven't included my previous revised character names because @Grey Roger had made some further edits to it so my own version is already outdated. Both the ship and character names will also need to be merged with @DeathDaisy 's Swedish names.

Attached Files:

Pieter Boelen and DeathDaisy like this.
  15. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

supernice work! xD a herculean effort :whipa

I merged my ship_names.c with yours and updated my rars in the swedish names thread :cheers

16. Pieter Boelen

17. Grey Roger

If you don't mind, I'll hold off adding this until the next, next update archive. I want to release the next one this week as there is already a lot of stuff waiting to be incorporated into a general release, and that translation framework involves a lot of changed files which will mean it will need a good deal of testing to make sure it doesn't break any existing gameplay. Also, some work is needed - a quick check with WinMerge shows, for example, that rank names are being translated, which they should not be as they're already in the native language of the nation which owns the ranks. It doesn't matter if you as a player speak English, Spanish or anything else; if your character has a Dutch LoM and has just been promoted to rank 7, then your rank name is "Kapitein ter Zee" because that's what Holland calls it.

Ship and character names, on the other hand, are safe enough, so they're going into this week's release.

18. Homo eructus

The ranks are "translated" because they were already in the commons.ini file, I didn't add them. The translation given is not a translation, but the exact same text, so it shouldn't change anything (except some of the Spanish and Portuguese ranks that I changed to be more accurate, and the Pirate ranks because they're not as much ranks as expressions of your piratical fame and thus should be translated).

DeathDaisy and Pieter Boelen like this.
  19. Grey Roger

Another update has finally arrived!
    http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_August31_fixes.zip

There's a lot of new stuff in this one. As a result, a new game is no longer optional, it's compulsory. Old save games won't work because of the new build number in "globals.c", and if you try to get round it by editing that back to the old one, the game will crash if you try to load a savegame from an earlier version.

You can see a full list of what's in the update in the attached "fixes.txt". Among the new stuff:
    • Revised Spanish character and ship names from @Homo eructus;
    • Random dialog lines instead of the perpetual attempt to take the barmaid for a picnic, when you're trying to get patrol times from a soldier in the tavern, courtesy of @DeathDaisy;
    • Also from @DeathDaisy, if you don't have a clock to give you the exact time, you at least have some idea of the time of day;
    • "A Smuggler's Life For Me" is now split into separate quests and the questbook does not stay permanently open - my work;
    • If you play as Horatio Hornblower, whether as a FreePlay character or through his storyline, and you progress to the rank of Post Captain, a whole new quest becomes available - also my work.

Attached Files: