• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP: What's the Verdict?

What is your past and current involvement with the PotC Build Mod?

• Total voters

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
It seems it has been quite silent here over the past week or so and I've heard virtually no feedback on the 20 July 2016 release at all.

Who is still playing or working on the mod?
If you're playing, then what's the verdict? Is it pretty much all good? Or are there any massive issues that still need addressing on short notice?
If you're not playing, what's the reason? Anything wrong with the recent releases that are preventing you from enjoying the game?
If you're doing further development, what do you have lined up?

I may be able to find a bit of time this weekend to do some stuff, but I need to know what (if anything) is worth focusing on.
For the time being, I'm not intending to start on any new developments of my own just yet, so it's mainly "fixing and finishing" that I care about.
If there aren't any pressing matters, perhaps I can finally take the opportunity for a bit of promotion as that is long overdue.

This question especially @Jack Rackham, @Grey Roger, @ANSEL, @Jason, @Talisman,
though I welcome any and all feedback from whoever cares enough to respond. :doff

Reactions: A.H
I'm alternating attention between continuing to play through "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and developing "Ardent". The former requires that I keep my existing campaign going, which means I'm continuing to play it under the previous release, while the next "Ardent" bit is being developed based on the 20th July release but isn't ready for playing yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm alternating attention between continuing to play through "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and developing "Ardent". The former requires that I keep my existing campaign going, which means I'm continuing to play it under the previous release
Just so you know, it is very easy to use your old savegames on the new update; all you need to do is to reduce the IS_SVG(sp?) #define in globals.c by one.
The only REAL issue you'd have then is that one of the Cartagena town location looks really wrong; but other than that, it is not actually a problem.

I'm still very active , but not always on the forum, with WoodesRogers 2. Right now preparing
part 9/11. When all 11 parts are finished I'll start making a playable adventure of it all.
I work sort of backways.

Just so you know, it is very easy to use your old savegames on the new update; all you need to do is to reduce the IS_SVG(sp?) #define in globals.c by one.
The only REAL issue you'd have then is that one of the Cartagena town location looks really wrong; but other than that, it is not actually a problem.
Remember that Brandenburg flag mod involving adding a seventh row of Personal flags? I put it into the previous install and it worked if I started a new game, e.g. setting up a cheaty free-play to give myself the Brandenburg Frigate, which is how I got the screenshots. But the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" savegames didn't like it at all! The campaign was based on a 6-row setup and got upset if "globals.c" told it there's a 7th row; flags didn't appear, error messages about flags were logged (despite me not using a Personal flag) and the game crashed every time I tried to save. So it's in my installation based on the 20th July update but no longer in the previous install with the savegames.

However, I copied the latest version of "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c" into the older install, so that at least will get a test. (And I'm just about at the point where I can test it, bearing in mind what needs testing now is Ferro Cerezo.)

Remember that Brandenburg flag mod involving adding a seventh row of Personal flags? I put it into the previous install and it worked if I started a new game, e.g. setting up a cheaty free-play to give myself the Brandenburg Frigate, which is how I got the screenshots. But the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" savegames didn't like it at all! The campaign was based on a 6-row setup and got upset if "globals.c" told it there's a 7th row; flags didn't appear, error messages about flags were logged (despite me not using a Personal flag) and the game crashed every time I tried to save. So it's in my installation based on the 20th July update but no longer in the previous install with the savegames.
That sounds really unlikely! #defines aren't saved. o_O

However, I copied the latest version of "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c" into the older install, so that at least will get a test. (And I'm just about at the point where I can test it, bearing in mind what needs testing now is Ferro Cerezo.)
Cheers! :cheers

That sounds really unlikely! #defines aren't saved. o_O
That's the problem, the #define of "PERSONALFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY" wasn't saved, it was read during the game. And now it was 7 whereas the game had been saved with it set to 6. Perhaps the flag interface table is saved so that, if it only has a 6-row table and is now looking for a 7th row (even though I wasn't using a Personal flag), it could cause trouble? Anyway, it doesn't matter for me - the old install is back to having 6 rows and the savegames work, while the new install has the Brandenburg flag stuff and works with a new game, which any game I start under the new install will be. It just mean you'll need to enforce a new game if you add the 7th row of Personal flags into a later update, otherwise someone else is liable to run into the same problem. But then, new updates often need new games enforced for other reasons anyway.

That's the problem, the #define of "PERSONALFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY" wasn't saved, it was read during the game. And now it was 7 whereas the game had been saved with it set to 6. Perhaps the flag interface table is saved so that, if it only has a 6-row table and is now looking for a 7th row (even though I wasn't using a Personal flag), it could cause trouble?
Quite strange. But as long as you can work around it, that's OK I suppose. :shrug

To try and get some more details, I added a poll to the opening post.
If you don't feel like you have anything to say or don't want to, please at least take the time to vote! :cheers

I voted for almost all the options, once I figured out that "Build 11/12/13" means "Builds 11, 12 or 13" and not "Build dated 11th December 2013". :facepalm I started with Build 12, then stayed with Build 13 longer than most people here because it was reliable, so the first version of Build 14 I got was Beta 3.0. I'm not playing the current (20th July) version as I'm still playing through a campaign started in the 18th June version. But I have 20th July installed, development on "Ardent" is going into that, and I'll start playing it when said development has reached a playable stage. And I haven't given up modding so the second last option doesn't apply. xD

I voted for almost all the options, once I figured out that "Build 11/12/13" means "Builds 11, 12 or 13" and not "Build dated 11th December 2013". :facepalm
I changed the text in the poll now to clarify on that. :wp

I'm not playing the current (20th July) version as I'm still playing through a campaign started in the 18th June version.
You might consider updating anyway, then reducing the savegame compatibility number by 1.
You'll be missing out on some of the fixes that require a new game, but that is all.
Other than that, it would still work fine. I don't recommend it for normal players, but you're an expert user, so that's OK. ;)

That's the problem, the #define of "PERSONALFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY" wasn't saved, it was read during the game. And now it was 7 whereas the game had been saved with it set to 6. Perhaps the flag interface table is saved so that, if it only has a 6-row table and is now looking for a 7th row (even though I wasn't using a Personal flag), it could cause trouble? Anyway, it doesn't matter for me - the old install is back to having 6 rows and the savegames work, while the new install has the Brandenburg flag stuff and works with a new game, which any game I start under the new install will be. It just mean you'll need to enforce a new game if you add the 7th row of Personal flags into a later update, otherwise someone else is liable to run into the same problem. But then, new updates often need new games enforced for other reasons anyway.
I just installed that in my game and it does appear you're right. While the game doesn't crash for me, the flags don't show either.
Apparently while the #defines are not saved, the Flags 'object' IS. That sure is annoying. :diomed

Since apparently nobody bothered with the 20 July release for some reason, there is now a 28 July release instead with all the latest corrections and updates.
Poll above updated to reflect this.

If nobody cares about new releases, then neither do I. So unless people indicate playing it,
I don't see any point in me bothering to do any further work on it.

I always try to download and update my current work to the latest version.
The one I'm working on right now looks like downloaded 17 july. Maybe I missed one
this time.

Recall that the only reason I'm continuing with the older install is because the 20th July install plus Brandenburg flag mod doesn't work with my "Tales of a Sea Hawk" savegames. But I've been using the 20th July version as a base point for my "Ardent" work, as well as for quick free-play test games. When "Ardent" is ready for another test play, I will use the then latest update!

Recall that the only reason I'm continuing with the older install is because the 20th July install plus Brandenburg flag mod doesn't work with my "Tales of a Sea Hawk" savegames.
And now that I added that to my own game, I can confirm that you are completely right to do so. :onya

But I've been using the 20th July version as a base point for my "Ardent" work, as well as for quick free-play test games. When "Ardent" is ready for another test play, I will use the then latest update!
Much appreciated! :cheers

Actually, my main concern isn't with you or with @Jack Rackham.
I'm mainly wondering if there are still any actual players around who make use of our work. :wp

I'm doing my 3rd attempt in downloading the 97MB file, but my damn internet is too crap, keeps doing network failure when I download from website.. current maximum download is 12-13MB before it disconnects.

Is there anyway you can turn this file into a torrent?

Will edit this post if I managed to complete the download by the end of the day.

Back