• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Speaking of which, I'm sailing from Bonaire to Cuba and I'm wondering how long it will take to reach it, what's the actual scale of the islands in the Ironman mode
The travel times in Iron Man Game Mode were tuned to be on average close to the real life travel times, so the scale should be approximately 1:1.
That means you should be able to measure the distance using OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart and divide that by the speed to get the travel time in hours.
I never tried doing that myself for PotC, but in theory it should work.

Also, once you buy a sextant and chronometer, you'll be able to see your position on the Archipelago Map.

How long that voyage will take depends on your ship, your skills, and luck. With an average ship, skills, and luck you should make it in just under a month. With a Pinnace fighting head winds you are in trouble.

Ahoy,

I am currently playing Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP May 28 version. Playing Free Play set in 1740 and I have notice a couple of things. I always play Stormy Stat and the last two games set me ashore Cayman and Jamaica respectively. My cargo hold in both cases contained Paprika which is not on the contraband list for either island. It used to be but hasn't been for years. I approached the smuggler and both cases he accepted the goods as contraband and I was successful in completing the transaction. Later in the game when I attempted to smuggle paprika on these islands I got no response from the smuggler.

I have no evidence that my crew will fire long arms, either muskets or musketoons during boarding, if pistols are also present in the weapons locker. There was appropriate ammunition in the locker in both cases. I also have abundant evidence, my character dying, the enemy fires long arms during boarding.

Finally, I seem to recall encountering a quad brace of horse pistols some years ago. Has that disappeared from the game?

I am still playing this game after its release 12 years ago and I marvel at the thousands of details that have been added to make it such a rich experience.

Finally, I seem to recall encountering a quad brace of horse pistols some years ago. Has that disappeared from the game?
It's called pistol25. New very nice model.

Ahoy,

I am currently playing Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP May 28 version. Playing Free Play set in 1740 and I have notice a couple of things. I always play Stormy Stat and the last two games set me ashore Cayman and Jamaica respectively. My cargo hold in both cases contained Paprika which is not on the contraband list for either island. It used to be but hasn't been for years. I approached the smuggler and both cases he accepted the goods as contraband and I was successful in completing the transaction. Later in the game when I attempted to smuggle paprika on these islands I got no response from the smuggler.
@Levis overhauled smuggling some time ago, which may tie in with the odd behaviour of paprika. For one thing, the level of smuggling on any particular island can change from time to time, and some goods may be contraband when the island is clamping down but legal when it's not. However, I'm just guessing here, as I'm not familiar with the smuggling system.

I have no evidence that my crew will fire long arms, either muskets or musketoons during boarding, if pistols are also present in the weapons locker. There was appropriate ammunition in the locker in both cases. I also have abundant evidence, my character dying, the enemy fires long arms during boarding.
Probably the enemy who was carrying a long arm wasn't carrying a pistol as well, so he didn't have a choice. I don't know why crew will prefer pistols to muskets, though - if you yourself have both pistols and muskets, and press the "2" key to auto-equip a firearm, it will usually prefer the musket. @Pieter Boelen, where is crew choice of firearms made?

The brace of four horse pistols is still in the game and you can get it in the same way as before - find a certain house on Nevis and survive their current owner firing them at you. :guns: Additionally, when you're high level (over 50, probably), random enemies might get them and you may find them for sale.

@Levis overhauled smuggling some time ago, which may tie in with the odd behaviour of paprika. For one thing, the level of smuggling on any particular island can change from time to time, and some goods may be contraband when the island is clamping down but legal when it's not. However, I'm just guessing here, as I'm not familiar with the smuggling system.
The "Colonies" interface should tell which goods are currently contraband, right?

Probably the enemy who was carrying a long arm wasn't carrying a pistol as well, so he didn't have a choice. I don't know why crew will prefer pistols to muskets, though - if you yourself have both pistols and muskets, and press the "2" key to auto-equip a firearm, it will usually prefer the musket. @Pieter Boelen, where is crew choice of firearms made?
I'm not entirely sure, but I'd suggest a search through LAi_boarding.c .

The brace of four horse pistols is still in the game and you can get it in the same way as before - find a certain house on Nevis and survive their current owner firing them at you. :guns:
That depends on Realism Mode, doesn't it? It's a Shotgun in Arcade...

Thanks guys, while I usually play in arcade mode, I have never shot the shotgun belonged in the game on any basis.

Thanks guys, while I usually play in arcade mode, I have never shot the shotgun belonged in the game on any basis.
If you want, we can probably think of a tweak so that it gets swapped out with the realistic alternative for you.

While I realize it might seem presumptuous to ask for it, I really would appreciate it if you could.

Thank you,Pieter

I really hate when realism takes over to much but the shotgun has always been too much for me too.

It shouldn't be too hard to add a variable to "InternalSettings.h", and then have Clint's definition in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\QuebradasCostillas.c" check it to decide whether to give him the shotgun or brace of horse pistols. Do we want this set to give him the shotgun by default and only check the variable in "Arcade" mode? Or do we want it to give him the pistols by default, regardless of realism setting, so that people who prefer "Realistic" mode for other reasons then have the choice to change the variable and get the shotgun?

It shouldn't be too hard to add a variable to "InternalSettings.h", and then have Clint's definition in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\QuebradasCostillas.c" check it to decide whether to give him the shotgun or brace of horse pistols. Do we want this set to give him the shotgun by default and only check the variable in "Arcade" mode? Or do we want it to give him the pistols by default, regardless of realism setting, so that people who prefer "Realistic" mode for other reasons then have the choice to change the variable and get the shotgun?
I'd say it only need to switch off the "truly crazy" in Arcade Mode.
My preference is that it does remain enabled in Arcade by default, otherwise nobody will ever know it's there.

Put "InternalSettings.h" into folder "PROGRAM". Put "QuebradasCostillas.c" into "PROGRAM\Characters\init".

In "InternalSettings.h", edit this line:
Code:
#define CLINT_SHOTGUN               1       // BOOL - 0=OFF - Clint Eastwood carries brace of four horse pistols in Arcade Mode; 1=ON - Clint Eastwood carries shotgun in Arcade Mode.  In any other mode he always has brace of four horse pistols.
Change the 0 to 1.

The effect is in "QuebradasCostillas.c" in Clint's definition:
Code:
    if(iRealismMode == 0 && CLINT_SHOTGUN ==1)
   {
       GiveItem2Character(ch, "pistol10"); // Shotgun
       ch.equip.gun = "pistol10";
       //JRH ammo mod -->
       if (ENABLE_AMMOMOD) {   // LDH change
           TakenItems(ch, "gunpowder", 6);
           TakenItems(ch, "pistolgrapes", 6);
       }
       //JRH ammo mod <--
   }
   else
   {
       GiveItem2Character(ch, "pistol25"); // Brace of 4 Horse Pistols
As well as checking realism mode, it should now check that variable. Clint should only get the shotgun if you're in Arcade mode and have left CLINT_SHOTGUN as 1.

You'll need to start a new game for any of this to take effect.

Attachments

• InternalSettings.h
    69.7 KB · Views: 113
  • QuebradasCostillas.c
    44.5 KB · Views: 118
As well as checking realism mode, it should now check that variable. Clint should only get the shotgun if you're in Arcade mode and have left CLINT_SHOTGUN as 1.
Sounds good! :onya

Is there any other "seriously way-out-there terribly unrealistic" content in the game that should perhaps be linked to the same toggle while you're at it?

Linked to the same toggle? No - this one is specifically for Clint Eastwood's gun. ;)

Beyond that, it's down to what people regard as "seriously way-out-there terribly unrealistic". I'd put a sniper rifle with a telescopic sight firmly into that category, for example. :p

Beyond that, it's down to what people regard as "seriously way-out-there terribly unrealistic". I'd put a sniper rifle with a telescopic sight firmly into that category, for example. :p
Fair enough. I wonder if there any other similar things that you and/or other people would like to be rid of.
For example, perhaps a hard toggle could be added on the various curses; just for those people who really, REALLY don't want that.

Fair enough. I wonder if there any other similar things that you and/or other people would like to be rid of.
For example, perhaps a hard toggle could be added on the various curses; just for those people who really, REALLY don't want that.
Is there a way to do binary arithmetic in PoTC's programming language? 'if(VARIABLE && 1)' doesn't work, it returns true whether VARIABLE is 1 or 2, which isn't much use if I'm trying to use one variable to handle two switches (albatross curse and Cortes curse). The best I've been able to come up with is:
Code:
if(CURSES_DISABLED - 2*MakeInt(CURSES_DISABLED/2) == 1) do_cortes_stuff;
if(MakeInt(CURSES_DISABLED/2) - 2*MakeInt(CURSES_DISABLED/4) > 0) do_albatross_stuff;
It works, I've tested it with console using this to issue 'logit' commands, but it's a bit messy.

The plan is that if the lowest bit is set then the curse of Cortes will be disabled regardless of other settings, or at least, cursed coins can be put back into treasure chests so you don't have to find Isla de Muerte and then find the right landing spot to dump the coin where it belongs. That's for the benefit of players using Arcade mode, as the curse is normally disabled anyway in Realistic mode. Likewise, for albatrosses, if the second bit is set then you'll be able to leave them alone or put them back into the treasure chest rather than having to go to Bridgetown when you don't want to. The default value of CURSES_DISABLED will be 0 so that both curses work as they do now, then anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with one or other of the curses can change it.

Now to find the code which forces coins and albatrosses back into your inventory if you try to dump them...

Is there a way to do binary arithmetic in PoTC's programming language? 'if(VARIABLE && 1)' doesn't work, it returns true whether VARIABLE is 1 or 2, which isn't much use if I'm trying to use one variable to handle two switches (albatross curse and Cortes curse).
If I understand you correctly, you want something like this:
Code:
if(CURSES_DISABLED > 1) do_cortes_stuff;
if(CURSES_DISABLED > 2) do_albatross_stuff;

Now to find the code which forces coins and albatrosses back into your inventory if you try to dump them...
PROGRAM\INTERFACE\itemsbox.c, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back