• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use the TOOL to
1. switch heads and
2. add extra stuff to a model.
3. Besides that off course retexture.
Together these methods give a lot of combinations/possibilities.

Turks: is indeed special. The governor's main job is to allow you to make friends with the pirates, so he does not use normal governor dialog.

Governors' daughters: being high level does not guarantee the nice models, it just means they can appear if you are lucky.

Tutorial: Creating a new character model

Thanks to all, now i'm trying to see how everything works, maybe after a character i could modify a ship :D
One question: if i add my character to the game, what can i do to be able to add it to the next updates of New Horizons?
One more question: is it possible to add also new animations to the game?
I loaded the meshes in Tool, but what should i do in order to see them with the proper textures?
Now i can only see a grey mesh in Tool...

Last edited:
if i add my character to the game, what can i do to be able to add it to the next updates of New Horizons?
@Grey Roger periodically asks if anyone has anything new to include.
Post it then and usually he'll add it. :doff

is it possible to add also new animations to the game?
Technically, yes it is. But it's very complicated and requires Maya.

Governors' daughters: being high level does not guarantee the nice models, it just means they can appear if you are lucky.
Had a quick look into the code and indeed those models are hardcoded in PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c:
Code:
//returns name of model to use for MR
string FindMRModel(int rank)
{
   //rank = 10; //testing
   string modelch[2];
   int i;
   int size = 2;
   if(rank<3) return "towngirl2";
   modelch[0] = "towngirl2";
   modelch[1] = "towngirl2_1";                   // LDH fix name = 05Jan09
   if(rank>=3)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 5; i++) //actually +1 because above
       {
           size++;
           SetArraySize(&modelch,size);
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl2";
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl2_1";   // LDH fix name = 05Jan09
       }
   }
   if(rank>=4)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 9; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl5";
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl6";
       }
   }
   if(rank>=5)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 11; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl3";
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl3_1";   // LDH fix name = 05Jan09
       }
   }
   if(rank>=6)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 15; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl1";
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl1_1";   // LDH fix name = 05Jan09
       }
   }
   if(rank>=7)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 35; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl7";
       }
   }
   if(rank>=7)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 39; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "towngirl4";
       }
   }
   if(rank>=8)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 44; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "liz1"; // KK
       }
   }
   if(rank>=9)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 49; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "lady04_ab";
       }
   }
   if(rank>=10)
   {
       for(i = 0; i < 54; i++)
       {
           size++;
           modelch[size-1] = "lady6"; // KK
       }
   }
   return modelch[rand(size-1)];
}
So it completely ignores whatever is in initModels.c and that explains why newly added models aren't used.
It'd be tricky to change this though because, for starters, that code looks fairly complex.
But also, initModels.c doesn't have rank-based info for the lady models, so if this would be changed, it'd turn completely random.

Turks: is indeed special. The governor's main job is to allow you to make friends with the pirates, so he does not use normal governor dialog.
I wonder now what would happen if the pirate governors would be given 'ch.Dialog.Filename.GroupDialog = "governor.c";' too.
Now that it's a separate file, in theory that might work...

Could you point me towards a HEX Editor download? The one downloaded here has the archive corrupted and i can't open it...
Nevermind, upgrading 7zip to the last version in some way solved it, it opened Hex Editor even if it found an error...

Last edited:
Could you point me towards a HEX Editor download? The one downloaded here has the archive corrupted and i can't open it...
Nevermind, upgrading 7zip to the last version in some way solved it, it opened Hex Editor even if it found an error...
There is a HEX Editor plugin for Notepad++.
You can set that up to automatically open GM files with that.
Really convenient. :doff

Should be:
1. Place EXE and TAR in the same folder
2. Run the EXE
3. Check that it works
4. Extract the ZIP from the opening post on top
I managed to do it myself but thanks for the messages. The game is absolutely incredible by the way... Love how youve changed the original story mode to your liking and twerked it abit.. LOVE IT! Especially the other game modes. Well done Superb!

Well it is still not fix everything, i got random crashes, including annoying CTD when you try to board Man O' War ships, which i really had to delete the saves, and start a new game. Install including Intel Addon Fix, using dxvodoo since im using laptop with NVIDIA GTX 950m.
This is really frustating to me. Is there any great way to at least fixing those shitty bug that annoys me so much? Because with that crash happening when you boarding man o' war or other tier 2 and 3 class, i cant finish my game, and basically stuck on port forever.

One thing you could try is delete the file named "options" from your main game folder.
Sometimes that gets corrupted and causes all sorts of weirdness.

You'll have to restore your preferred settings again afterwards.

Loving the game still. Just come back to it to try and get past the bit in the hornblower story. You have two paths to try and capture the french fort with Sharpe. I chose the path on the right instead of the left path and it fixed it . Off to bed now but can’t wait to complete the whole story

Just completed the hornblower story! Omg the ending made me cry. Where sharpe and his men walk away and the sharpe outro plays!!! Then you talk to pellew and the hornblower ending music plays!! . I then talked to hornblowers wife and then nothing happened. I was like what’s going on? Then realised that I DID IT!!!! I BEAT THE GAME!!!! Thank you devs for this amazing story mode!

@Short Jack Gold and @Grey Roger did a really good job at it! :bow

Did you get the optional side quest too?
Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower - Walkthrough | PiratesAhoy!

You can also continue as free play.
Maybe have your navy officer turn pirate or join the Portuguese or something. :cheeky
Yep i managed to do the optional stuff! Killed Quelp, Wolf died. Now im sailing around to all non british countries and sinking them. I sold the indefatigable for a cheap price (because that legend is priceless!) and made Edward Pellew BOW DOWN TO ME and become my officer! hahahahaha. I gave him an excellent officers sword and a pistol with alot of ammo. Maybe one day i will kill him! Lol... Honestly this game is the best now because i loved the stock game, but it got so boring as the story mode was unfinished and short!

Yep i managed to do the optional stuff! Killed Quelp, Wolf died.
You may still not be done yet:
The Natividad Incident | PiratesAhoy!

I sold the indefatigable for a cheap price (because that legend is priceless!) and made Edward Pellew BOW DOWN TO ME and become my officer! hahahahaha. I gave him an excellent officers sword and a pistol with alot of ammo. Maybe one day i will kill him! Lol...
Sacrilege!! :rofl

Honestly this game is the best now because i loved the stock game, but it got so boring as the story mode was unfinished and short!
I thought the original game main quest was a decent length.
For the time.

But it had a hard ending; and very little replay value.
Few nice enough sidequests, at least.

We've come a long way since then. :cheers

But it had a hard ending; and very little replay value.
I actually found the ending quite easy, especially if you get the Man o' War.
I actually sunk the Black Pearl without using the artifact.
Though, the last time I played my Xbox couldn't do it; the game crashed a lot; and I didn't bother doing it when I played with NH.

As for the replay value, I am not sure; to me it seems it has quite a decent replay value.
After all I have easily played it over 10 times. Or was it 20?
Can't remember, I lost count after a few times. xD

We've come a long way since then. :cheers
That is a sure thing! :yes

I actually found the ending quite easy, especially if you get the Man o' War.
I meant "enforced" ending.
Was referring to how the original game threw you back into the main menu the second the main quest was over.

As for the replay value, I am not sure; to me it seems it has quite a decent replay value.
After all I have easily played it over 10 times. Or was it 20?
Can't remember, I lost count after a few times. xD
There were a few paths here and there.
But mostly, I imagine without the mod you would've ended up doing the same things over and over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back