• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewrote one of the standard functions. It is not clear why there was a cycle that was looking for an object in each group of equipment.
Now the function works differently:
1) We get a group of objects.
2) Let's see what is put on in the group of the subject.
3) If the current equipment is the same as necessary, then return the "true".
No need to look for a gun in the group for cold weapons.

New:

bool IsEquipCharacterByItem(ref chref, string itemID)
{
aref arItm;
Items_FindItem(itemID,&arItm);
if(CheckAttribute(&arItm, "groupID") && GetCharacterEquipByGroup(chref, arItm.groupID) == itemID)
{
return true;
}
return false;
}

Old:

bool IsEquipCharacterByItem(ref chref, string itemID)
{
aref arEquip;
makearef(arEquip,chref.equip);
int q = GetAttributesNum(arEquip);
for(int i=0; i<q; i++)
{ if(GetAttributeValue(GetAttributeN(arEquip,i))==itemID) return true;
}
return false;
}
Interesting!
Thanks.

Is that to improve performance?

I'm not sure that it will improve performance. The new code uses 'Items_FindItem', which uses 'GetItemIndex', which uses 'NativeFindCharacter', which I suspect searches the whole 'Items' array. Being a native function, it probably does this quicker than doing the same search in code. But it's probably not as quick as simply searching the character's inventory, which is what the current code does.

In any case, the new code does not prevent a search of items of the wrong group. It just hides that search. ;)

I'm not sure that it will improve performance. The new code uses 'Items_FindItem', which uses 'GetItemIndex', which uses 'NativeFindCharacter', which I suspect searches the whole 'Items' array. Being a native function, it probably does this quicker than doing the same search in code. But it's probably not as quick as simply searching the character's inventory, which is what the current code does.

In any case, the new code does not prevent a search of items of the wrong group. It just hides that search. ;)

If that's what you're talking about. I've noticed a long time ago that cycles are "for" and especially "while" slow down the game.
I like the new version more. Even if, it does not give acceleration. I've proposed a new version of the feature, and to use it or not - it's up to you. Maybe we're speeding and we won't see the difference, but checking the blade in a group of pistols is a little out of the making. Based on this, I rewrote the function.

Here's my latest upload

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/JRH/JRH files 6154 20-09-21.7z

and with that it should be PLAYABLE. :onya

Info: there's a jump start for part 2. Talk to Blackbeard's head in the very first cabin and choose the last case "21".
Or if you want to get a better feeling for the story choose case "20" which takes you to the last chest/drawing room.
From here the story now continues. (after the guy with the bad accent)

And some of the new locations:
wr_BB_tower.jpg wr_careen_shore.jpg wr_prison2.jpg wr_maze.jpg

The empty folders are just a rest of me filling up folders I used in the previous upload.
It's faster for me this way but I forgot to remove them when uploading.

No problem - being empty, they don't take up space in the unzipped folder. I just wanted to make sure nothing is missing.

Here's my latest upload

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/JRH/JRH files 6154 20-09-21.7z

and with that it should be PLAYABLE. :onya

Info: there's a jump start for part 2. Talk to Blackbeard's head in the very first cabin and choose the last case "21".
Or if you want to get a better feeling for the story choose case "20" which takes you to the last chest/drawing room.
From here the story now continues. (after the guy with the bad accent)

I cant wait. Is it playable without walk through?
Though its not your style for the quest but is there any sea battle?

It's playable but the first released version. More jump starts and a walk through is coming later.
Sorry no sea battles in the standard meaning but ships will fire, be fired at and set on fire!

It's playable but the first released version. More jump starts and a walk through is coming later.

To much jump starts are not good for full play-through :no
As you may remember in JRH part 1, I did find out several bugs as I played thoroughly.
But in jump start they never happened.

To much jump starts are not good for full play-through
But can help if something messes up real bad and you're stuck. I appreciate of course any bug reports. :onya
It's a very long adventure so there will be mistakes from my side.

But can help if something messes up real bad and you're stuck. I appreciate of course any bug reports. :onya
I've been meaning to ask, is the bug forum thread the best consolidation of the bugs there is? Or do you happen to have a personal document which has some bugs sorted into categories? Been meaning to ask this since it seems like the vast majority of reported bugs aren't confirmed so I have no idea how big the list of confirmed bugs are

In theory, anything related to a storyline should go into the section for that storyline; bugs should go into "Build Mod Bug Tracker"; bugs specific to storylines can probably go into either. For preference, report each bug in its own thread, rather than one thread containing a whole list of them. That way, each bug can be fixed or deemed unfixable and its thread closed and archived.

Worst case scenario, posts about bugs, storylines or bugs in storylines can be split off into their own threads and moved to the appropriate forum section. I've done a bit of that recently.

Yes bugs are common thing in programing and I understand that obviously. :yes
I like to play thoroughly with any story line I come across. That's why don't like jump starts much.
And all previous development (character & items) ware usually lost in jump start.

Will wait for final release of JRH2.

I've been meaning to ask, is the bug forum thread the best consolidation of the bugs there is? Or do you happen to have a personal document which has some bugs sorted into categories? Been meaning to ask this since it seems like the vast majority of reported bugs aren't confirmed so I have no idea how big the list of confirmed bugs are
As far as I'm aware, the Bug Tracker forum IS the most up-to-date.
It is also not actively moderated, so it's quite messy.

For other bugs I'm not sure if there's a standard procedure (any longer).
In theory there is:
1. Person reports bug
2. We talk about it and, if warranted, mark it Confirmed
3. Someone fixes it (hopefully)
4. It gets tested
5. It is marked "Fixed" and moved to the Archive forum

Personally I'd say storyline bugs should follow the same procedure on the same forum.
Just mark the storyline name in the report title.
I'd say the storyline forum should be more about requiring help if you get stuck; or providing feedback.

But that's just me. :shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back