• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance of translating into Portuguese Brazil?
It can be done for sure.
It is a lot of work though.

If you can find people willing to do that work, we'll be here to help them figure out how to do the code part of it. :doff

Currently merging the latest with my own game version.

What is the "Colombian Silver quest"?
It's not ringing any bells for some reason...

"Music License.txt", eh?
If we're doing that, I suspect we need to add some other stuff in there too.

Meredith Byrom:
"Introduces player to the quest if high enough level and no LoM"
Quest? What quest...?

What is this code?
Code:
           //JRH -->
           if ( CheckAttribute(Pchar,"quest.gambling_with_girl") )
           {
               switch(Pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl)
               {
               case "5000": AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 5000); break;
               case "5500": AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 5500); break;
               }
           }
           //<-- JRH

Also, where did @Grey Roger's Barbossa tour go?
I never got round to trying that; and obviously I DO want to!

"Music License.txt", eh?
I'm going to add some royal free music to some of my stuff and I thought I'll make an entry there too, just to be safe and correct. Don't know how it's generally handled in the game though.

He said before it wasn't in the update, but I downloaded it from the mod contest thread. It's not really a quest, but a very enjoyable little extra.

Thanks Grey, that was my conclusion as well.
And now my cold copy of the original game appears to be corrupted, so is there anyway I can proceed to reinstall everything without it? If not any ideas where I can access or buy the original game?

Currently merging the latest with my own game version.

What is the "Colombian Silver quest"?
It's not ringing any bells for some reason...
Also known as "Silver for Cartagena", this is my version of the silver train raid which you could get in Sid Meier's "Pirates" by talking to a governor's daughter or niece. You get this one the same way. (I'll need to write a wiki walkthrough at some point in time.)

"Music License.txt", eh?
A lot of the music in NH isn't licenced and can't be, unless the copyright holders of the music for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, the "Hornblower" series and several others give their permission. ;)

Meredith Byrom:
"Introduces player to the quest if high enough level and no LoM"
Quest? What quest...?
That's for pirates who don't want to join a mythical Pirate nation but do want to do "Silver for Cartagena".

What is this code?
Code:
           //JRH -->
           if ( CheckAttribute(Pchar,"quest.gambling_with_girl") )
           {
               switch(Pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl)
               {
               case "5000": AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 5000); break;
               case "5500": AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 5500); break;
               }
           }
           //<-- JRH
@Jack Rackham: is there a reason for just using 'AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, sti(pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl));'? The reason for getting the wrong amount of money is that 'AddMoneyToCharacter' wants an integer, but attributes such as 'pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl' are strings.

It was never intended as anything more than a bit of fun to celebrate the 18th "birthday" of the forum and the original game. You can get it here:
Notice - Unofficial Mod Contest for PiratesAhoy becoming of legal age!

You'll probably want to WinMerge it because it includes a version of "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c" which might not include the latest additions.

Last edited:
@Jack Rackham: is there a reason for just using 'AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, sti(pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl));'? The reason for getting the wrong amount of money is that 'AddMoneyToCharacter' wants an integer, but attributes such as 'pchar.quest.gambling_with_girl' are strings.
I fixed a bug because I ran into it. And I used something that worked and am not going to discuss if it was the best way to do it.
Before I fixed it no one seems to care about getting over a million when promised about 5000.

Fair enough, and thanks for fixing it! :onya No criticism was meant - rather, recognising that you have more programming experience than I have, I simply wondered if there was a reason why using 'sti' might not work here.

Your version does work so I, for one, have no intention of changing it! It's included in the 6th July update, credited to you in both "fixes.txt" and "Build Info.txt".

And now my cold copy of the original game appears to be corrupted, so is there anyway I can proceed to reinstall everything without it? If not any ideas where I can access or buy the original game?
Maybe you can use the compressed potc-stock .Download it here: :
MEGA

I made a few tiny corrections to @DeathDaisy 's nation relations modifications in the freeplay StartStoyline.c.

I moved the start of the War of Spanish Succession to 1701 instead of 1702 and changed some of the allegiances, as Spain was set as enemy of France, when the whole point of the war was trying to prevent Spain and France from becoming too powerful together. Spain was effectively divided in two factions but that's another story. Also sided Portugal with England and Hollland, as Portugal switched sides to them very early in the war.

In the Napoleonic period, I moved the alliance of Spain with Britain from 1812 to 1808 (makes sense as Spain is already set as France's enemy by that point) and made Spain also allied with Portugal.

Also edited periods.c to change the default relation of Spain and USA to neutral for the whole Napoleonic period, instead of enemies, which they never were at the time (other than minor border disputes over Florida). And therefore, I commented out that same change from StartStoyline.c, that only affected the war of 1812.

@Grey Roger I don't think there should be any issue adding this to the next build update

Attachments

• PROGRAM.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 138
War of Spanish Succession: started in July 1701, which means it wasn't being fought for more than half of 1701. Moreover, Britain was initially reluctant to join in until Louis XIV reneged on a promise to recognise William III as king of Britain, instead backing the son of James II. The result was the Treaty of the Hague in September 1701, which brought Britain and Holland into the war. So for our purposes, the war wasn't in effect for most of 1701.

Portugal was allied to England for a long time, the only break being when it was tied to Spain by the Iberian Union. So Portugal is allied to England by default in the game unless explicitly set otherwise. It wasn't part of the Treaty of the Hague, so wasn't formally allied to Holland.

Spain, as you say, was divided into the Habsburg and Bourbon factions. Since the War of Spanish Succession is set in the game's "Golden Age of Piracy" period, Spain is using the Habsburg flag, therefore it makes sense for Spanish forces in the game to fight on the side of the Habsburgs, which means allied to Britain and Holland, and at war with France.

Napoleonic: fair enough, it was Napoleon's placing of his brother Joseph on the Spanish throne which triggered Spain's change of sides.

War of Spanish Succession: started in July 1701, which means it wasn't being fought for more than half of 1701. Moreover, Britain was initially reluctant to join in until Louis XIV reneged on a promise to recognise William III as king of Britain, instead backing the son of James II. The result was the Treaty of the Hague in September 1701, which brought Britain and Holland into the war. So for our purposes, the war wasn't in effect for most of 1701.
Fair

Portugal was allied to England for a long time, the only break being when it was tied to Spain by the Iberian Union. So Portugal is allied to England by default in the game unless explicitly set otherwise. It wasn't part of the Treaty of the Hague, so wasn't formally allied to Holland.
The problem here is that Portugal was set as allied to Spain, that's what I changed once I set Spain and France as allies for the reasons I explain below. I set Portugal and Holland as allies just to conform a more defined side, but they can stay neutral if you think it's better.

Spain, as you say, was divided into the Habsburg and Bourbon factions. Since the War of Spanish Succession is set in the game's "Golden Age of Piracy" period, Spain is using the Habsburg flag, therefore it makes sense for Spanish forces in the game to fight on the side of the Habsburgs, which means allied to Britain and Holland, and at war with France.
The parts of Spain that supported the Habsburgs were mostly the eastern regions of Catalonia, Aragón and Valencia, the Habsburg faction didn't have presence in Spanish America that I know of, as those territories had always been tied to Castile, which was the center of the Bourbons' power. And the cross of Burgundy flag was still widely used under the Boubons. Besides, the monarch set for Spain for the duration of the war is the Bourbon Felipe V. I must insist.

Last edited:
The parts of Spain that supported the Habsburgs were mostly the eastern regions of Catalonia, Aragón and Valencia, the Habsburg faction didn't have presence in Spanish America that I know of, as those territories had always been tied to Castile, which was the center of the Bourbons' power. And the cross of Burgundy flag was still widely used under the Boubons. Besides, the monarch set for Spain for the duration of the war is the Bourbon Felipe V.
The Burgundy flag was allowed to continue to be used by merchant ships under the Bourbons, which is why the Spanish merchant flag is still the white Burgundy cross on blue even in "Colonial Powers". Naval flags were another matter - ships of the two factions had to recognise each other, and allies of each side would need to know whether a Spanish warship was friendly or hostile. And so Spanish warships and forts use the Bourbon flag in "Colonial Powers". It can't be changed to the Bourbon flag for "Golden Age of Piracy" because both the "Ardent" storyline and the default date for FreePlay are well before the War of Spanish Succession and require the Habsburg flag.

I'm not sure the Habsburg faction had any ships, in the Atlantic thatre at least. The Mediterranean would be another matter but even there, the Anglo-Dutch fleets did all the heavy lifting. In any case, I think the partial inconsitency of a flag is a lesser inaccuracy than the mere existence of a Habsburg faction in the Caribbean. The combined actions of the Spanish and French navies was a major point in the war, as was the actions of English privateers against Spanish shipping and a reason why many of them turned pirate after the war when the Spanish ships stopped being a valid target. If they were allied, the whole point of the Golden Age of Piracy doesn't make sense. Plain and simple, the navy was overwhemingly on the Bourbon side and the colonies entirely so.

Last edited:
Fair enough, we'll accept the flag inaccuracy. The point about privateers turning pirate when the war ended and their LoM's became invalid is well made.

Hi, just a few questions about installing the updates. My current version is build 14 with update September 2020. I don't need reinstall everything, correct? I only need use the "Extra Fix Archive", correct? Please advise. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back