• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Unofficial Mod Contest for PiratesAhoy becoming of legal age!

And here it is - my entry into the contest, ready for @begginfokillz to try out. :doff

Barbossa's tour should work in either the stock game or "New Horizons". Originally it was meant to be run from one pair of dialog files which could detect whether the stock game or "New Horizons" is being used, but there's a function which exists in both and which takes one extra argument in the modded version, which means if the modded version is used then the dialog crashes if you're playing the stock game, and vice versa. So now there are separate dialog files for each version. There are a few other files which are specific to the modded version or stock version, but as far as I can tell from testing both, neither game version gets upset if the files from the other version are there, it just ignores the files which it does not use. For example, "New Horizons" has Barbossa defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c" and completely ignores "PROGRAM\Characters\English\init\TempQuestCharacters.c"; the stock game is exactly the other way round. Likewise, "New Horizons" gets its questbook entries for the tour from "Barbossa_tour.txt", while the stock game uses "quests_texts.txt" for all questbooks, both in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH".

The tour should work in any of the storylines in "New Horizons" except "Jack Sparrow", the reason being that the real Hector Barbossa plays a significant role in that story so it may look silly if fake Barbossa shows up as well. It detects whether you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", which is the original storyline, and some of the dialog changes if you are.

Download, unzip, copy the whole lot into place, start a new game and make your way to Speightstown, alias Oxbay. Then talk to Barbossa and let the tour begin! (If you're playing "New Horizons", I recommend playing "FreePlay" as a British corsair or merchant. That starts you off at Speightstown right away and also gives you a free compass and clock, not necessary for the tour but useful generally.)

Attachments

• Barbossa_tour.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
i guess it is time for a long overdue update

last night, my brother had a medical emergency, and we were lucky to have him still with us, but unlucky to have a serious medical bill and ambulance bill.

i also originally planned on canceling the contest for that and the other reason no entries were in proper format, so i did not notice most of them.

however, i will not cancel, but i cannot at this time give out a monetary prize as expected. i plan on designing some certificates, but i cannot in good faith promise money when i cannot expect to provide due to random medical stuff like this.

on the topic of improper format. i noticed just today some mods, in this contest chat thing, but i was looking on forum expecting to see contest entries titled such. i am sorry for my failure to notice, and i will be testing mods as soon as i can, especially since the new big update for sea dogs teho drops in open beta and possible full soon.

the certificates will be digital. and money prize will not be paid out. if after medical bills i can scrape some cash together, i might, might, might, give greatest hits one, at the most.

and yes, my brother is still alive. so all is at least somewhat well

and on a more personal note, marc, if you read this, please don't go unconscious on the basement floor again. Love ya womb buddy, now and forever :)

Sorry to hear about your brother, no need to worry about not being able to pay for the prizes, nor about noticing some things earlier.
You have pretty much one of the strongest alibi in my opinion.

I am glad to hear that your brother is still here.

Hi,
first off, I am glad that your brother is still alive and everything is somewhat ok.

I have been following the thread the last couple of weeks and I want to offer to
step in and pay out the prize money. As this community has done awesome mods
over the years, of which I have enjoyed many, I would be more than happy to give
something back. But, obviously, I would only do that if it were in your interest.

hi again, many thanks for the well wishes to him, and for understanding. due to the recent events, if dh27 wants ot help judge, two heads are better than one. also, plan is still to test and judge over the first three days of march, and announce a winner in each category after figuring it out on the fifth day. aka, i hope, if nothing else happens, a winner will be decided on march 5th.

as for official entries thus far, i see some in the chat, and usually, i would say make a thread in forum for each, but given recent circumstances, who am i to say what looks like what. so, so far, i will be trying and checking

mods in general so far (based on what i have seen in the chat today)
Grey Roger's Barbossa Reskin minimod,
Grey Roger's Barbossa Tour minimod

others tbd based on what i see from here on out on forums, not in this chat thing.

for greatest hits, TEHO entries so far are:
Activemap (used a lot over the years)
Hooks Mod (another staple mod of the community)

for greatest hits from coas, gentlemen of fortune is a strong contender

does anyone have any idea on other long term mods used on the forums for a long time for teho and for coas

finally, im hoping for some suggestions for community choice when it comes to time to judge

again, many thanks for understanding and well wishes in this matter, i shall relay them to my brother faster than he drives normally . That's an inside joke. please do not speed ever.

last night, my brother had a medical emergency, and we were lucky to have him still with us, but unlucky to have a serious medical bill and ambulance bill.
OUCH! I'm really sorry about that.
Glad to hear he managed to pull through.
That's definitely more important than a modding contest.

And therefore:
i cannot at this time give out a monetary prize as expected.
That's absolutely fair enough.
You offered 55 USD in total prize money and that can be quite substantial.

I have been following the thread the last couple of weeks and I want to offer to
step in and pay out the prize money.
That's REALLY very kind of you! :bow :bow :bow

I would like to make the same offer.
So depending on how @begginfokillz feels about it, we might be able to split it somehow?

hi again, many thanks for the well wishes to him, and for understanding. due to the recent events, if dh27 wants ot help judge, two heads are better than one. also, plan is still to test and judge over the first three days of march, and announce a winner in each category after figuring it out on the fifth day. aka, i hope, if nothing else happens, a winner will be decided on march 5th.

As I have quite a lot on my plate with my master's thesis this week, I would of course help you judge, if you want me to, but otherwise I prefer just paying out the prize money :)

So depending on how @begginfokillz feels about it, we might be able to split it somehow?

As I have already planned to cover the full prize money that was initally offered, what would you think of the idea to just add your contribution on top? If @begginfokillz would agree to that, I believe that it could also be an additional motivation for submissions.

@begginfokillz: sorry to hear about your brother, and glad that he's still alive! Give him our best wishes. Obviously medical bills take precedence over prize money. Hopefully he will continue to recover.

Please regard the Barbossa reskin and the tour as one mod. The reskin is specifically for the tour and both are included in the download in post #41. I've just re-uploaded that as I spotted a couple of minor bugs, not enough to wreck gameplay but if you want a properly debugged and tested version, please download it again. If you've already started testing, you can continue as the fix will not require a new game.

Perhaps if @begginfokillz and @DH27 would like to test my entry, and assuming that takes a day or two, that may give @Jack Rackham and @Bartolomeu o Portugues enough time to finish their entries.

I have uploaded a small mod but it's only for POTC:NH so I'm not sure if it will be in the contest or not.

coastbrothers.jpg

I have uploaded a small mod but it's only for POTC:NH so I'm not sure if it will be in the contest or not.
Where have you uploaded it?

PoTC:NH mods had better be valid for the contest because, unless someone else is working on an entry in total secrecy, all the entries are for PoTC:NH!

If you started and did not finish, would you be able and willing given a little more time?
Since only @Grey Roger posted an entry for now, it's not much of a contest.
So I asked @Bartolomeu o Portugues, @Legendary_Spider and @Levis how they feel about a last-minute try.

Bartolomeu didn't have time last week, but he would still like to try.
He'd need maybe 2 weeks.

Levis is VERY busy with work, because he's directly involved with Covid.
But he also thinks something might be feasible in two weeks, assuming the pandemic doesn't go haywire and he has a good idea.

Legendary Spider has not been feeling very inspired, but he would like to contribute an entry if he can.
He could perhaps make a new trailer for New Horizons (he did that awesome original Beta 2 one!).
Or perhaps he could make a high-quality texture for a ship?
Are there any particular ships people would like a nice upgrade for?
Advantage there is that this could be easily shared between PotC, CoAS and TEHO.

So... how do you all feel about this?

Last edited:
i think ill let new horizons be allowed, since so many mods seem to use it, and everyone seems to use it more than the normal version, and jack, mind uploading mod publicly?

Back