• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Unofficial Mod Contest for PiratesAhoy becoming of legal age!

Since only @Grey Roger posted an entry for now, it's not much of a contest.
So I asked @Bartolomeu o Portugues, @Legendary_Spider and @Levis how they feel about a last-minute try.

Bartolomeu didn't have time last week, but he would still like to try.
He'd need maybe 2 weeks.

Levis is VERY busy with work, because he's directly involved with Covid.
But he also thinks something might be feasible in two weeks, assuming the pandemic doesn't go haywire and he has a good idea.

Legendary Spider has not been feeling very inspired, but he would like to contribute an entry if he can.
He could perhaps make a new trailer for New Horizons (he did that awesome original Beta 2 one!).
Or perhaps he could make a high-quality texture for a ship?
Are there any particular ships people would like a nice upgrade for?
Advantage there is that this could be easily shared between PotC, CoAS and TEHO.

So... how do you all feel about this?
I remember there being a topic somewhere about someone who added DLL's to the storm engine. If someone is able to dig that topic up again I and I have some free time I might be able to use the skills I acquired recently during some C# courses to make something nice ;) .

edit: found the topic: Custom Modules

edit2: hmmm... the sourcecode was never shared so that wont be an option afterall :(

Last edited:
for greatest hits, TEHO entries so far are:
Activemap (used a lot over the years)
Hooks Mod (another staple mod of the community)

for greatest hits from coas, gentlemen of fortune is a strong contender

does anyone have any idea on other long term mods used on the forums for a long time for teho and for coas
Not for TEHO or CoAS, no. However, "Gentlemen of Fortune" is a collaborative effort. So, for PoTC, I'd like to nominate "New Horizons". All of it. This is even more of a collaborative effort. A lot of the original modders have disappeared from the forum; some others have joined later, made contributions, and subsequently left; and some PoTC modders are still here. It is of particular significance to this contest because in a way, it's the reason this contest exists! The contest is to commemorate 18 years of "Pirates Ahoy!", which is inextricably linked to the PoTC Build Mod, of which "New Horizons" is the latest version and still evolving.

I haven't made anything, just small visual modifications and a few improvements, I don't think that deserves a prize :D
You're not to judge your own work in a contest! ;)

Unless... maybe you'd be interested in helping out @begginfokillz as a judge?

hmmm... the sourcecode was never shared so that wont be an option afterall :(
There have actually been some developments on that front.
But that's quite beyond the scope of the contest. :wp

judging phase is now in effect, due to a lack of entries, i would in theory declare grey roger de facto winner for his public mod, but due to a secret mod by jack rackham, i will need to test both. at the same time, i am considering extending entries by one more week, to see if anyone else enters, in the meantime, greatest hits its either new horizions or gentlemen of fortune, and community choice is still in need of suggestions

i shall get into checking out the entries, and i hope to have some suggestions soon for community choice.

Ok it's not a secret mod anymore then.

Dropbox - Coastbrothers.7z - Simplify your life

This small mod works only on POTC: New Horizons
Copy in the files on top of that.
Load the added save game.
Press F12 and and turn up your volume.

Background:

The pirates "The Coastbrothers" appear in WoodesRogers part 1 but I never found any use for them in part 2
so here they are, meant to later become a very small bonus chapter for part 2.

The story is that The Coastbrothers have received the amnesty from governor Woodes Rogers. Now they are touring
around the Caribbean performing some ancient songs under a brand new name "The BeachBoys".
See them tonight at Santiago townhall...

i am considering extending entries by one more week, to see if anyone else enters
Would you consider also two weeks?
I think 1 would be tight for @Bartolomeu o Portugues and @Levis, but with two something might yet be possible.

please note that, win or lose, the stuff on this site is top notch for the most part, and highly recommended to make your game better
Thank you very kindly! :bow

The story is that The Coastbrothers have received the amnesty from governor Woodes Rogers. Now they are touring
around the Caribbean performing some ancient songs under a brand new name "The BeachBoys".
See them tonight at Santiago townhall...
Oh, that sounds beautifully brilliant!

hqdefault.jpg

:dance :dance :dance

@Jack Rackham: your zip file has the "SAVE" folder inside the "RESOURCE" folder. You may want to upload it with "SAVE" separated out.

That has to be the finest piece of choreography I've ever seen in PoTC! :onya

Anyone else: this mod only works in the "Woodes Rogers" storyline. After copying all the files into place, start a new game in that storyline, then follow the instructions in post #67. Sit back and enjoy the show - I highly recommend it!

@pedrwyth and/or @Myth, would either of you be interested in entering this contest?
Deadline is in two weeks.
There might be prize money involved. ;)

I am adapting the translator mod to the Beta just released by the developers for TEHO, I don't know if it can enter the contest.
As @The Nameless Pirate says, indeed I don't think that's within @begginfokillz' parameters...
But maybe you could try adding a character to TEHO yourself, with some dialog to promote your Spanish translation?
I think that would qualify! ;)

a translation mod is still a mod, so it is good for the contest. also, good luck with it. as someone who helped translate the dlc from russian to english, without knowing the language, i can say its a tough thing, but it will do well in the long term

wait, i misread, sorry. i should have read it better, i thought you were translating text from a spanish to english. but, im a man of my word. ill allow it, sincei said i would. the error is mine

they are right however, anything must be in english from here on out. i am only making this exception since i did not read it properly and gave my word due to it. i am just keeping my word.

as the other said, and i would suggest. perhaps making an english npc in it too? that might make this entry more, for lack of a better term, legitimate

Back