• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Buying new sails / sleeping in captains cabin

Aconcagua

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Just an idea:

We have the possibility to change sails from the ship menu - what about moving this to the ship yard, so that only there the sails can be changed? I'm going further: you have to pay for the new sails - let's say, the same price as for repairing your sails from 0 to 100 % (but if you buy new sails, you get automatically 100 % sails, too). For some special sails, there could be a surcharge, too. (Suppose, not everybody would like that, so perhaps we could have this selectable in the advanced options.)

And the next one:

We have such nice captain's cabins - but our captain has to go to tavern, if he wants to sleep a little... Would be nice, if we could approach the bed, getting an option to "open" it (like the weapons locker) and select some time he want's to sleep.

I'm pretty sure there IS some code support for buyable sails, or at least there used to be.
It wasn't ever used though.

Being able to sleep in your captain's cabin would be most useful.
Your health wouldn't regenerate like happens if you do it in a tavern room,
but at least you could spend some time.

Hmm, could regenerate, though, but less - let's say half, if in port, and only a quarter, if at sea (or 2/3 and 1/3?) Aren't you going to sea, too? Tell me, do you really sleep that bad at sea that you cannot regenerate at all? (ok, times where harder then - but men, too...).

Well, otherwise there's no advantage anymore at all to sleeping in a tavern. :facepalm

why should there be a difference? it costs you almost nothing to sleep in a tavern. so what? the only difference is the location. i'm not going to go to my ship to save 5 gold or something. it's just really handy to do once in a while, when there's no tavern nearby.

You can sleep in the tavern for free (eg. in the tavern hall) but your health doesn't regenerate.
If you do pay for something, you should at least get something in return, no?

You do get something, the chance to steal out of a chest without ticking anyone off. I always thought it was funny that you spend 5 gold and get a guaranteed amount of much higher than that by opening the chest and selling whatever you find. I always just used the tavern room as a source of antidotes and healing potions, I only recently realized that it regenerated your health too.

Well, so there are two points of view:

If you're in town, you can spend those five gold coins for not having to walk back to the ship... (well, then perhaps a little expensive?)

If you're coming from see, however, there is no advantage at all for the tavern. This is why I proposed having half regeneration on ship (now, however, I'd prefer not to make a difference between 'in harbour' and 'at see').

Could be a little fine-tuned: on the ship, you only get up to at most 80 % of health (of course, no decrease, if you're already over). New current health then simply is calculated as the middle between old current and 80%, but 40 % at minimum:
Code:
int percentage = health * 100 / maxHealth;
if(percentage >= 80)
return;

percentage = (percentage + 81) / 2; // 81: rounds up
if(percentage < 40)
percentage = 40;

health = health * percentage / 100;

You do get something, the chance to steal out of a chest without ticking anyone off. I always thought it was funny that you spend 5 gold and get a guaranteed amount of much higher than that by opening the chest and selling whatever you find. I always just used the tavern room as a source of antidotes and healing potions, I only recently realized that it regenerated your health too.

Well, me, did not realize it at all - got it from discussion (suppose, most times was not hurt when in the room).

I went there, when I had to wait for the next morning (e. g. because of closed shipyard) and then fetched those items...

Perhaps we should modify it that way: the chests in the quest rooms are (almost?) always unlocked. In most of the cases, you do not find anything in it. Sometimes, something can be found in there, one or two items. Again in most cases, these are cheap items, really rarely you find something good.

This would simulate that a previous guest forgot something. If sometimes still locking, a guest would have forgotten to unlock it. Perhaps then the percentage of finding something good could be higher.

And if you find something, you could have at the tavern keeper a new speach option "I found some items in the locker." (only as long, as you do not leave the tavern). If you select it, the items are taken from you again, but you get a reputaion increase for it.

Alternativly if you do steal from the tavern there is a probability that you will get arrested and if you do and you say "I havn't got anything" you will get sent to jail and be hung. There should be an option to give the guards the things back but this should come with a fine as well ;)

I too had the idea about sleeping in your cabin. I think it's a really good idea and would be really useful in port, with just one problem:

The taven is effectivly a static location, i.e. you go to bed and wake up 8 hours later and you are still in the same place. If you could sleep in the ships cabin while at sea, if I understand correctly, time would move on but the ships location would not. I may be wrong.

Unless... we could one of my DirectSail-dream-ideas to work!
Telling the officer of the watch that you'll turn in and to wake you up when something interesting happens.
That'd require some looping with an update each hour to check whether there's a storm/island/other ship yet.
And update the ship's location of course. Might be possible, but probably not so easy.

Just noticed: we cannot access the ship deck from sea, currently.

So we would have to enable the moor button at sea, too. Suppose that we'd need a new sea only location then to place the ship at. Of course, the location to get at port would have to be disabled then. We should then rename it to "ship deck" or something adequate.

For a first go, I think it's ok if the ship remains on the map where it was when going to sleep - not nice, but let's have one step after the other. Even when having the autosail mod, this should be the behaviour, if you forgot to set an officer in charge of the ship.

In captain's cabin, your officers (the one in the officer's view - so your land crew, I think, at least) with the new officer system coming, I suppose this should be changed, too... If going to sleep, this animation would be niche: View get's fixed towards door, you see the people in the cabin leaving the room, while the screen already fading out to black (your sleeping in), shortly afterwards, the screen fades in again and you see your officers come in again (waking up).

I think, charging an officer by talking to him is nice - could be available from ship deck and captain's cabin. If you do so, an interface showing a map appears (next condition: you'll need a map of the archipelago - and you should need compass and sextant equipped - clock, too? think so... - (or one of your navigators/first mates has). There you select with the mouse, where to sail to (eventually setting some via points, too).

One thing about the anchoring option: Currently, you can only select stock POTC mode (meaning that autosailing is not available if implemented as discussed above), and the new mode (where you have an additional button 'shore' button still allowing you to get to land directly - by the way: on one of the beaches at Aruba, one of the two buttons did not lead me to the correct place - I think, it was the shore button setting me to ship deck instead of beach).

But one could prefer to get from port to sea directly, but still being able to access the ship deck. I propose this one as new option in 'Anchoring':
  • stock POTC, as was - moore button replaced with shore button, mooring not available, ship deck not available, autosail not available
  • intermediate option, moor button available again, so you have stock POTC behaviour and can still access the ship deck
  • anchoring mod, as is (getting to ship deck first)
Having the intermediat option, I do not see much sense for the stock POTC one any more - could a player prefer this option just for having a button less on the screen? So perhaps better leave it out completely and renaming the option to "Weighing anchor"...

You should be able to visit your ship's deck at sea too.
If you press [Enter], there should be a button named "Ship Name".
Press that and you reload to your ship's deck.
You can visit the other ships in your fleet that way too.
Select the other ship names for that.

Unless... we could one of my DirectSail-dream-ideas to work!
Telling the officer of the watch that you'll turn in and to wake you up when something interesting happens.

That sounds awesome, but as you say, also a lot of work :facepalm

It might not be too hard to restrict sleeping in cabin's to when you are in port for now. Personally, I would probably only use the sleep in cabin option when sailing into a port at night and waiting for the Store/Ship Yard to open anyway.

On the subject of sailing into a port at night, does anybody have any opinions on being able to see Town lights from Sea? It always struck me as being a bit odd that when you are walking around in the Port at night, there are lanterns producing light, but as soon as you switch to Sea mode, the Town looks completely dark :modding

I have NO idea if the game supports any lights in 3D sailing mode.
AoP/CoAS do support even lights on the ships themselves, but I'm not sure about PotC.
Not on ships, that's for sure, but what about on land as you suggest?
Would be nice, that's for sure. :yes

I really like the idea of being able to sleep in my cabin instead of the tavern. I tried it just the other day wondering if it would work.

What about sleeping in an house that you've broken into? Could be useful and/or a little tricky in a pinch.

Back