• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

C/C++ C# professional Skills

Hi,

my name is Kirill Novozhilov, I am 28 years old, I am born in Russia and I live in Germany.
For 4 years now, I work in Germany as a programmer using C/C++(Linux, Windows, Linux based devices) and C#.
I always wanted to join the game industry and your project is a good chance I would like to take.

I am very motivated and interested in game development

At home I learn DirectX and XNA and I already started learning using the UDK.

I have great understanding in programmatical logic and debugging.

It would be great for me to join your team.

Kirill Novozhilov
kirill984@yandex.ru

Welcome to the forum and thanks very much for your offer! I'm sure your skills will come in very handy. In fact, while we've only just got started on the Hearts of Oak project,
the older games we are still modding here, Pirates of the Caribbean and Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships, are coded in a language very close to C/C++.

Of course the Hearts of Oak project has only just been started on and we're still trying to work out how to get it under-way properly.
As such, we don't have many people working on it at the moment and progress is dead slow.
Next week, I'm intending to make a public profile for our game and we can then start attracting more of the people we need.

Welcome!

We are trying to use the UDK and turn it into an RPG/pirate sort of game.

This means we will be using Unrealscripts combined with our own DLL to create an open world game. I plan on doing some DX code for debugging but this will not be required for the game itself.

If you want to check out what I have done so far you can do so here. I still need to structure stuff a little better and add more comments but feel free to tell me everything I have done wrong.

We do plan to release the code as opensource so everyone can see your amazing programming skills. And if you want you can put your name next to every line of code you write ;) .

No, actually I do not want to put my name next to the code.
But I have soome questions:
- Do you have a structured timeline for the development?
- How many developers do you already have?

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? :cheeky

Anyway, once I'm back home from vacation, I'm going to set up a game profile and also try to get at least some sort of structure written.
There won't ever be a fixed timeline because all of us do this in our spare time, so we can't possibly stick to any schedules.

There are a few other people who have done things here and there and several other people who have said they would like to contribute.
But at the moment, Hammie has been doing all the work. So we are going to have to figure out how to actually work together on this project.
It'll be a difficult learning curve for all of us, I'm sure, but it should be ultimately worth it. :onya

I also offering my skills: C++, scripting languages and an understanding of programming and algorithms (I have a bachelor degree in computer science).

If I find time I will be gladly to help.

I think it might be an idea for someone to organize the current volunteers into teams. Not necessarily to create timelines but just give us an idea for who's doing what. If we could group everyone's skills together and then have that team nominate a lead it would go a log way towards organization.

Indeed we've had a fair few people mentioning they'd like to contribute, but we need to figure out a way so that they can actually do so.
Hammie has been doing pretty much everything so far, so it should come from him what and how other people could contribute.

We'll definitely need a history/general accuracy team. It will be its job to yell at people for making historical errors,* and to provide reference material to modelers and coders at their request.

*then we can decide whether we want to keep the errors or not. Sort of like the judicial system...?

Indeed having teams does not sound like a bad idea at all. So which teams would we need?
I could imagine:
- Brainstorming Team
- Historical Accuracy Team
- Coding Team
- Modeling Team
- Texturing Team
- Interface Team

People should be able to be part of multiple teams as well. And maybe Armada can make some nice ribbons for the various teams too, so it'll show on people's membership profiles?

(BTW: If the "team setup" discussion takes off, we should probably place it in a separate thread)

We could just make another thread in the recruiting forum. That way people will be able to request spots.

Can the history/seamanship team have a dark green ribbon? Or a navy blue ribbon? or... or... (We really need an excited-five-year-old emoticon...)

We've got the bouncy one, right? Or did that one disappear? :cheeky

Yep, a thread in the Recruiting Forum it will be. Can be stickied even. We'll post one as soon as we are decided on the actual categories to be used.

Indeed having teams does not sound like a bad idea at all. So which teams would we need?
I could imagine:
- Brainstorming Team
- Historical Accuracy Team
- Coding Team
- Modeling Team
- Texturing Team
- Interface Team
Sounds good to me. Maybe change the last one to 'User Interface Team' (UI Team for short).

And indeed I was thinking the same about team ribbons. There are many possibilities to play around with those.
There should probably be some distinguishing feature to make them stand out from the regular ones...

Can the history/seamanship team have a dark green ribbon? Or a navy blue ribbon? or... or... (We really need an excited-five-year-old emoticon...)
Oh, I'm sure I could arrange something. ;)

Just a quick note-- the Historical Accuracy team might be better described as the History/Seamanship Adviser team. I might try to recruit some people from Pilgrim for that. The two I have in mind haven't showed up in a few weeks, but I'll hopefully run into them soon.

How about... Just "Accuracy Team" then? Just to keep it short and to-the-point.

And agreed on all accounts, Armada!

Another advantage of having those ribbons set up for everyone involved is that whenever somebody posts something, people can better see where they're coming from.
For example, when somebody on the "Accuracy Team" says "we should have more realism", that makes it more understandable; of COURSE he's going to say that. :razz

Back