• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release CannonFX 3.0

You need to edit also PROGRAM\INTERFACE\option_sl.c for the setting to show up.

NOTE: You must remove the "options" file for things to not be messed up when you're adding new settings.
Also, ALL Advanced Options settings require a new game to be started, so we may want to be careful with using them here?

By that way, that's a really good video! Do you reckon you could post that one on the ModDB as well to wet people's appetites? :cheeky

You need to edit also PROGRAM\INTERFACE\option_sl.c for the setting to show up.

NOTE: You must remove the "options" file for things to not be messed up when you're adding new settings.
Also, ALL Advanced Options settings require a new game to be started, so we may want to be careful with using them here?
Really? Ive played around with some of the Advanced Options on and off with the same save and have yet to noticed anything bad.
Maybe its more about what things are changed?
As switching between the different smoke effects is a pretty simple function.

How would i go about posting the video on moddb?

There was definitely something wrong with newly added Advanced Options; I think it was that when you add a new option and don't remove the "options" file,
either that new option doesn't show or a previously existing option will no longer show.

I have just set up your ModDB account to allow you to post stuff. Let me know if it doesn't work. :doff

Scratch that, this is one of those values that does not want to be change from in-game, not even with a new game(yes i deleted the options file too).
So I guess I will leave it in InternalSettings.h for the time being.

Will try seeing if i can post on moddb in a little while. :)

Uploading does not seem to work for me.
I tried, but its just stayed stuck at uploading for hours without transferring any data. :(

Also been tweaking a bit and reduced the size of the embers, they looked ok with a large ship, but kind of funk on small and medium sized ships lol.

Can you upload from HTTP for video files? If so, we can use an FTP to store the video first.

Hmmm tried uploading it to my own server and then to moddb, but it seems moddb does not like .mp4 files. :(

On a better note, here is the latest finetuned version of CannonFX 3, which I feel comfortable enough to say is ready for integration with the Build mod itself.
Allthough further testing is probally best just to make sure I didn't miss anything lol.

And like i said before, InternalSettings.h now has a new parameter called USE_PARTICLES_CANNONS, dedicated exclusively to the task of adjusting the cannon smoke levels without interfering with other particle effects in the game that is controlled by the USE_PARTICLES value.
And of course it also makes it more friendly to very low end systems as setting "0" changes it to simple smoke puffs as I showed in the video.
What we would probally want to make the setting more accessible is maybe a choice in the installer or bat or small program that would change the InternalSettings.h in a couple of easy clicks.

Dig in mateys! :D

Attachments

• Merciless's_cannonFx-3.1.zip
    141.1 KB · Views: 95
It changes particles connected with the haunted abbey I think, could be more but I don't know the extent, since I haven't checked out all the dependencies in different files lol.

It changes particles connected with the haunted abbey I think, could be more but I don't know the extent, since I haven't checked out all the dependencies in different files lol.
Confirmed. :doff
BTW: Is there any way we can simplify the particle switches? Seems like a bit much to me. Maybe we can just remove the Maltese Knight Abbey one?

Like i said, i have no idea of what and where to find all the dependancies of it lol.
Not ventured very far than beyond me guns lol.

You can have Windows search in the content of all code files in the PROGRAM folder; I do that all the time.
It works especially well if you add your PotC game folder to your Windows Search Index.

Ah yes see it now.
Looks like only the maltese abbey uses it.
Question is, do we really want to remove the ability for people to tone it down if they want/need to?

It might seem a bit much, but I know I personally hate it in other games when too many different things are baked into one setting.(I'm looking at you Depth of Field and Post Processing!)
And it certainly gives an element of freedom to advanced users without having to re-write script.

Thats just my take on it though.

Haven't tried the new setup yet, but the only smoke that affects FPS on my system is the smoke from MY cannons. This a problem depending on how fast my ship is moving. If I can get away from it then things work much better.

I'm afraid that is most likely an engine limitation that can be "partially" overcome by hardware, but not completely.
For some reason the camera just does not like being smack dab in the middle of the smoke. =/

Which is why the #Low# setting now uses the stock PotC smoke parameters instead.(someone had turned the lowest setting into a huge white ball of smoke, go figure. :p)

Looks like only the maltese abbey uses it.
Question is, do we really want to remove the ability for people to tone it down if they want/need to?
How many people go in there in the first place? It isn't a very large part of the game, so I don't know why we'd need a whole separate setting for it. :shrug

For some reason the camera just does not like being smack dab in the middle of the smoke. =/
Indeed it very much does not. Don't know why either... :facepalm

Back