• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannons Versus Culvertines

Shrike

Landlubber
well, i know the Culvertine has a longer reach whilst the cannon has more damage, but the increased reach of the Culvertine just seems pointless with its rather limited damage, with the right tactics i can close on my target way faster than the range difference can allow the culvertine to do more damage. exsample below

eksample, Frigate versus frigate battle, we start at the max range of the Culvertine (24 lbs version) with frigate 2 equipped with these, whilst frigate 1 has normal cannons. Frigate 1 has the disadvantage(in this case) of chasing frigate 2 with the wind directly astern. for frigate 2 to use its firepower effectively it needs to turn a broadside on frigate 1, thus giving some of its advantage in both the fase where its turning and when its firing.

whilst frigate 1 has a clear advantage of being a much smaller target AND furthermore its closing the gap, without much efford. now frigate 2 can choose to just run away and shoot with its rear guns only, but that is bound to give a looong battle an eventually contact will be broken

i dont really need to go all that far down this road now do i ? sure, im not accounting for saildamage nor for lucky shots but Culvertines only use seems to be on merchant vessels where the entire point is to fight a delayed action whilst youve got your tail FIRMLY between your legs.

Cannons is better...

The long range of the Culverine is pointless, because in every battle, u can use the command "Sail to" to go near the opponent... :cheers

Personally, i use Cannons every times ( On my two MOW :evil: xD: )

Most of my battles are fought close up because I try to board. So you're right, the cannon would make more sense. However I'm never trying to SINK anyone - because I want to capture the prize or plunder the ship. So cannons to me just don't do it unless I want to take down a fort. <shrug> Just MHO. xD:

aye cat, thats exactly how i do it too...although once in a great while i love to get close and fire RIIIGHT like an inch away from the enemy literally...man i love seeing all the explosions and all that...mmm sooooo satisfying to see my enemy go down RIGHT by me hehehe...but usually i wanna take the ship and sell it for a whole lotta plunder

I am only concernd with blasting their sailsl to slow em down,and I love to fight close up and I almost never use grape,I want a god fight si I try to leave their crew intact. If ya wanna see awsome cannonball spouts in the water and better explosions try taking out a Lugger with Skelly Bobs gunboat. Yer so low in the water ya see things ya would not normaly see in a larger ship,and ya usualy have to fight down at least five deck levels,tougher than taking out a MOW. LOL xD:

Gunboat

Here is PIc of Sleleton Bobs gunboat and link for download
http://members.chello.at/asgard/tartane2.rar

gunboat3.jpg

cute, but pointless unless it comes in large ammounts no ? of course its way better than that Tartane thing

personally i simply choose cannons and then instead of keeping the trigger "down" and shooting all the time i pick my shots on the target. and often close to board, its way funnier to battle it out and run away with your opponents vessel after all...

Personnaly, i use Grapes... :|
I kill all the crew and use "Instant Boarding" capacity to capture the ship without fight xD:
It's quickly and efficiently :cheers :cheers
Sometimes i use bombs to shrink too small ship with no goods xD:

i just capture them for additional crew, if you dont assign a captain it sinks when you leave the screen

i usually capture anything bigger than a corsair and send anything else to davie jones locker with me 32 pounders

i capture only for crew and goods...
Selling ships is too long :p ( assign officers, dispatch crew, ... )
That's only for the fun
To get money => Pirate's Hunting :cheers :|
Today, i've got more than 12,000,000 gold xD: xD: :cheers

I usually board, pillage, then sink everything.

I normally make my money and experience running some trade routes. You can collect around 1.5M and advance multiple levels in one go if you wait for the right offers. xD:

To me, it depends on the ship. For lightly armored fast ships such as Corvettes or Sloops, I prefer culverines.

From Pirate Hideout:
Something that isn't stated in the manual is how much damage the different cannons can do.

The damage is counted in multipliers. This means that a multiplier of 1 is standard damage, a multiplier of 2 is twice the standard damage, etc.

The damage done by the several cannons is as follows:

12lbs. Culverine 1  
12lbs. Cannon 1  
16lbs. Culverine 2  
16lbs. Cannon 2.5  
24lbs. Culverine 4  
24lbs. Cannon 4

My current ship is the Corvette "Vengeance" captured from the English during the fight at Greenford. She's outfitted with 24lb Culverines.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Shrike`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shrike)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->cute, but pointless unless it comes in large ammounts no ? of course its way better than that Tartane thing...[/quote]

Har! mate,I captured an' sunk an Xebec wid at cute little boat an 'ad tew fight four deck levels,cause it only as a crew o' 13,best dam fight I ever had,tuffer 'an tak'n out a MOW ;) :cheers

I to am a boarder. I love plunder =). I tend to get annoyed if my other ships punch big holes in a ship I intend to take as a prize. In fact I always leave a spot open just for that reason and take out the largest ship first just to carry extra plunder. It's also cheaper then trying to sink them. You have to carry extra ammo and repair supplies.
I'm not a big sail to fan in battles. It never puts me in the right spot. In fact it's almost feels like punishment since most the time it sticks me right in the dang middle of enemy ships with all thier guns blazing. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Back