• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cant exit port without getting shot

Jogador_Surpresa

Landlubber
Hi, I have a problem.

Every time I try to set sail from Bridgetown the fort fires at me, I'm English flying an English Flag (All other flags still get fire) on an English Port.

I'm playing the Tales of a Sea Hawk story and I'm just about to finish the Reconnaissance on S'town quest but this bug does not allow me to. :(

I tried:
-All other flags;
-Other Ships; (purchased new ones)
-Waiting for weeks at the tavern;
-A lot of other in-game things;
I'm playing with the Set 7 version.

Any Idea how can I at least move from this port?

Hi, I have a problem.

Every time I try to set sail from Bridgetown the fort fires at me, I'm English flying an English Flag (All other flags still get fire) on an English Port.

I'm playing the Tales of a Sea Hawk story and I'm just about to finish the Reconnaissance on S'town quest but this bug does not allow me to. :(

I tried:
-All other flags;
-Other Ships; (purchased new ones)
-Waiting for weeks at the tavern;
-A lot of other in-game things;
I'm playing with the Set 7 version.

Any Idea how can I at least move from this port?
Which version are you using?

Build 14 Beta 4 Set 7
(I'm using this Set 7 because I think that if I update to newer installer I will need to start a new game, correct?)

My guess is they recogniced you flying a false flag so that's why you can't exit without being shot. But maybe @Pieter Boelen could tell you better.

Thinking about this wouldnt it be nice if you could bribe the fort commander to forget you?

:ahoy

If you are playing the Reconnaissance on S'town quest - when you arrived at Barbados from Port Royale at the beginning where did you land - ( hint in quest book to land at a beach not the town )

Not sure what you can do - except to go back to Save before you landed on Barbados and land at a beach this time . :shrug

:drunk

Last edited:
Please provide a savegame and the .log files, especially COMPILE.LOG!
With all recent modpack versions, there should be details in there to indicate the reason for ships and forts being hostile to you.

It could be that you sailed past the Bridgetown fort flying a French flag earlier on and they're remembering that now.
But all this behaviour has been completely rewritten very recently with very little feedback so far,
so I'd quite like to know the real reason here and make sure it is actually intentionally correct!

I'm using this Set 7 because I think that if I update to newer installer I will need to start a new game, correct?
I haven't enforced a new game for quite a while now, so you should be able to update just fine.
If you want to be sure, install the update on a COPY of your current game version.
Or open PROGRAM\globals.c and check this line at the bottom:
Code:
#define IS_SGV           14.920
If you've got the same number in your own file, you can use the current (13 Sep) update without starting a new game. :yes

Thanks Pieter on the info about being able to update! I will try to update later and see if I get different results.

Here are the logs:

In the compile.log line 165 I found something that may explain the behavior of the fort.

FLAGS: The 'Bridgetown Fort' remembers us as French

I don't know if this behavior is expected, because, well, let me explain what I did:

0- My ship was a Tier 7 Barque (Not sure but definitely tier 7)
1- I was flying French colors on the coast of Barbados before reaching Bridgetown fort area. (I was close to S'town area)
2- I changed colors to English before reaching Bridgetown fort area.
3- Manually approached Bridgetown port area to moor, did not get fired at by the fort.
4- Went to land and did a lot of things including the reconnaissance on S'town quest (talking to that drunk french) (Save from Set 18th)
5- Went back to Bridgetown and purchased a new ship for me (A tier 6 one)
6- Now every time I try to sail alway from the port, the fort fires at me :( (Save from Set 24th)
I have attached 2 saves:
-=Beta14-4 07set2015=- Barbados. Bridgetown port September 18th, 1750: This save is before I changed ships, in this save I do not get attacked by the fort.

-=Beta14-4 07set2015=- Barbados. Bridgetown port September 24th, 1750: This save is after I changed ships, and in this one I get attacked by the fort.

Is this behavior correct? Why I would get attacked with my new ship but with the old one not?

Attachments

• compile.log
    6.7 KB · Views: 68
  • error.log
    136 bytes · Views: 79
  • system.log
    2.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Fort fires at me saves.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
That "FLAGS: The 'Bridgetown Fort' remembers us as French" line does completely explain it.
So by the sound of it, this technically is "Not a Bug".

That being said, this is part of a very recent rewrite and we had some discussions on this particular situation being possible.
We didn't get to any final decisions, so I kept it simple for the time being.

"Simple" here means that ships and forts remember the last (hostile) nation they saw you with and will treat you accordingly.
They won't forget unless you get a LoM with their nation and upon each promotion for that nation.
It is not at all dependent on your ship type right now.

Though your note about it only starting after your visit to Bridgetown and getting a new ship is quite odd.
I'll change this to a Bug Tracker entry as probably at least something does need to be checked and possibly tweaked too.

But why they did not attacked me when I first approached Bridgetown? If they were worried about seeing me flying a French flag shouldn't they have engaged me in the first place?

Could very well be that they found you out just as you wanted to port. You can still try to port while a fort tries to fire at you. It's another bug we still need to fix (I believe).

@Pieter Boelen what do you think about my earlier idea of being able to bribe the fort commander to forget you?

Could very well be that they found you out just as you wanted to port.
I still have to check this. Stand by....

You can still try to port while a fort tries to fire at you. It's another bug we still need to fix (I believe).
Only in certain ports where you can stay outside the forts' "reload range".
I did make one related fix a while back: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...-fires-at-some-towns.24368/page-2#post-514538

@Pieter Boelen what do you think about my earlier idea of being able to bribe the fort commander to forget you?
You'd need to be able to talk to the fort commander. Which generally you can't.
Perhaps we can tie it to the "talking to random house occupants" option that should get the town guards on your side.
Whatever we decide to do though, I vastly prefer a solution that requires the least amount of work.
Otherwise we'll still be working on Beta 4 by next year. :facepalm

You'd need to be able to talk to the fort commander. Which generally you can't.
Perhaps we can tie it to the "talking to random house occupants" option that should get the town guards on your side.
Whatever we decide to do though, I vastly prefer a solution that requires the least amount of work.
Otherwise we'll still be working on Beta 4 by next year. :facepalm

Right...you can't everywhere :(.
Adding a bribe option to a dialog shouldn't be hard, we just need to find the right dialog to add it to.
Maybe give an extra option to guard which are off duty in the tavern?

Adding a bribe option to a dialog shouldn't be hard, we just need to find the right dialog to add it to.
Maybe give an extra option to guard which are off duty in the tavern?
This dialog already exists for residents of houses:
Code:
"I have a problem with the townguards...",
"Allright, I could convince the commander that you are a honest citizen worthy of protection. But you are not to cause any unrest and fighting, and should you be involved in the schemes of some hostile power you will be treated like any other traitor.",
"Oh, yes, please go and have a word with the commander. The guards may be incompetent, but there are soo many of them... I'll wait here till you have talked with him.",

Might be a usefull one indeed because as far as I know now it's not really working that well... altough that might be fixed already?

-=Beta14-4 07set2015=- Barbados. Bridgetown port September 18th, 1750: This save is before I changed ships, in this save I do not get attacked by the fort.
With your first save and ended up in the Speighstown Tavern. I walked straight to Bridgetown and set sail.
Got the following compile.log entry:
Code:
FLAGS: The 'Bridgetown Fort' has spotted us at 135.01 and will remember us as British with visibility=645.
So far, it is correct.

-=Beta14-4 07set2015=- Barbados. Bridgetown port September 24th, 1750: This save is after I changed ships, and in this one I get attacked by the fort.
Did a DumpAttribute on the fort commander and indeed he DOES remember you as French even while you're still ashore.
The subsequent behaviour does then make sense.

What, however, does NOT make sense is he manages to remember you at all when you did not sail around inbetween.
So I must ask, did you do anything inbetween here AT SEA???
4- Went to land and did a lot of things including the reconnaissance on S'town quest (talking to that drunk french) (Save from Set 18th)
5- Went back to Bridgetown and purchased a new ship for me (A tier 6 one)
6- Now every time I try to sail alway from the port, the fort fires at me :( (Save from Set 24th)
All "remembering" can happen ONLY in 3D sailing mode, so this sequence of events does not add up. o_O

What, however, does NOT make sense is he manages to remember you at all when you did not sail around inbetween.
So I must ask, did you do anything inbetween here AT SEA???
All "remembering" can happen ONLY in 3D sailing mode, so this sequence of events does not add up. o_O

I'm very very sure that I did not entered sea (not even went to ship deck) so I did not entered the 3D sailing mode in between these steps.

Since after step 3, when I manually approached Bridgetown, I only moved across the island throughout land, across the the jungle.

That just makes absolutely no sense and should be quite impossible.
Assuming that IS what happened, there is no way to find out when or why it happened.

Here's an idea: Take that first save where it is still OK and retrace your steps as accurately as possible.
Then prior to going to sea after you have again purchased a new ship, make a save again.
Ensure you do this all in one go without loading other saves or closing the game inbetween.

Once you did that, see if the problem occurs again based on that first save.
And if it did, post you entire compile.log file from the whole process.
That should give us some more details.

Until we get more details as per my above request, nothing more can be done here.
The problem needs to be confirmed and replicated before it can be fixed.
Though next week I could also give you a console command that will reset this particular situation.

Back