• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cant exit port without getting shot

(Sorry for long time but) I have done the testing you requested Pieter. And the outcome is that, indeed, if I start tracing back my steps from the oldest save, the fort does not fire at me.
Then I started thinking what could I have done to make the fort recognize me as french on the newer save. (If this recognition thing only happens on 3D sailing, I must have entered it somehow that I can't remember doing it.)

- I was moored at Bridgetown port before all the events, the fort was peaceful, I'm sure of this because I managed to moor with no problems as I manually approached the port.
- When I tried to escape the fort after all the events I noticed that, if I was fast enough, I could go to 3D sailing mode and very quickly press F3 to moor again like this:
From port>To 3D Sailing>Loading screen>Enters 3D Sailing>Fort fires>Quick press F3 (icon on the top left is still visible, disappears if one takes to long to press F3)>To moor>Loading screen>Back at port.
I belive that, somehow, I entered 3D sailing mode with a french flag by accident very quickly (I'm being honest when I say that I do not remember doing it at all!) and then very quickly went back to port, similar to what I described above.

This is the only way I could reproduce the results of what I may have done... I don't know... I really don't remember doing such thing, but the other explanation to this would be a very crazy bug.

But there is one more thing on my mind: Tell me, when the fort sees you with a enemy flag, it always opens fire? Or sometimes it ignores you?

Last edited:
Indeed that does sound like the most plausible option.
Strange though that you can't remember doing it, but I could imagine you forgot to change flags and noticed only when the fort started firing.
I do have to applaud you for your reflexes in managing to still get out!

If that is the case, it sounds like this system is indeed behaving like it is intended to.
The Fort Commander sees you setting sail with a hostile flag and remembers this.
So for the time being, I'll consider this "Not a Bug".

Do keep an eye out for other strange things related to this though!
As I think I said before, all of this is quite new so any and all comments would be welcome.

And perhaps we do need some more ways for the forts forget about you.
Right now the only way is getting a LoM with its nation and being promoted.
That way "the governor reminds all forts that you're a friend".

The Fort always opens fire on enemy ships, provided you're in their visibility range and there aren't any better targets around.
But if you want to be safe, you'll want to avoid hostile flags near forts. Even if the fort IS off a hostile nation, that is what false Flags are for.

So when SHOULD fort commanders forget about the player waving a hostile flag within sight of them?
Possible options:
- When renaming your ship - This is TOO EASY as far as I'm concerned!
- When repainting your ship - Also TOO EASY
- When getting a new ship - Hmm.... maybe?
- When getting a LoM and/or being promoted by their nation - Yep, already in place and working
- When the fort commander changes (for example through a town capture) - This is in place, but NOT tested

Any others?

Changing ship sounds good. Selling your ship and rebuying it cost quite some money. You could do this now because all upgrades etc are remembered.
The script as it is set up now remembers only if pchar is recognised right? Because if you have multiple ships it should only work if "your" ship is sold, not one of the others from your fleet.

Changing ship sounds good. Selling your ship and rebuying it cost quite some money. You could do this now because all upgrades etc are remembered.
The script as it is set up now remembers only if pchar is recognised right? Because if you have multiple ships it should only work if "your" ship is sold, not one of the others from your fleet.
At the moment this is all stored PER NPC. So each ship and fort remembers TWO things:
1. Whether they recognized you with a false flag (this is reset for ships when new ones are generated; for forts I'm not sure if how or when this is reset, so I should check that.)
2. The last flag they see you with (is also updated when your NEW flag is hostile), so if you SHOW them you're hostile, you can't hoodwink them afterwards to believe you're friendly.

Bringing a fleet in there is going to be tricky. Would be annoying if simply "swapping ships" would do the trick.
That is actually why I haven't wanted to make any changes yet because at least you CANNOT fool the current system.
I don't want to end up creating an exploit. :facepalm

I have just written a function called "ResetAllForts" that we can use to reset the memory of all forts in the game.
But when to call that in such a way that it does NOT become an exploit?
After all, it becomes extremely tricky to keep track of players swapping ships and repainting them, etc.

Craving forgiveness and having your rank set (through getting a LoM or promotion) resets the forts of that specific nation.
So when should ALL forts be reset? It should be something not easy, but that does make sense and players might actually DO.

Here are some suggestions:
- Add a dialog option to the "Relations Agent" specifically for this purpose; would be cheaper than full forgiveness. Players should know they offer these sort of services.
- Have it done for a single nation through the house residents. But players may not be aware of that feature.
- Add a dialog option to the actual nations' governors to make the forts forget the player's past transgressions.
- Link it to the specific act of purchasing a new ship at the shipyard. I'd avoid doing this on capturing as that may just be a temporary prize ship.
- Store the date at which the "memory" will expire for each individual character. Might make sense, but also sounds rather tricky to me.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Craving forgiveness and having your rank set (through getting a LoM or promotion) resets the forts of that specific nation.
So when should ALL forts be reset? It should be something not easy, but that does make sense and players might actually DO.

Here are some suggestions:
- Add a dialog option to the "Relations Agent" specifically for this purpose; would be cheaper than full forgiveness. Players should know they offer these sort of services.
- Have it done for a single nation through the house residents. But players may not be aware of that feature.
- Add a dialog option to the actual nations' governors to make the forts forget the player's past transgressions.
- Link it to the specific act of purchasing a new ship at the shipyard. I'd avoid doing this on capturing as that may just be a temporary prize ship.
- Store the date at which the "memory" will expire for each individual character. Might make sense, but also sounds rather tricky to me.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

The most sensible ones to me are the "Relations Agent" and the actual nations' governors. :yes

If someone goes to a shipyard and changes or buys a ship the shipyard is going to tell the authorities - shipyard owners are law abiding people and their craftsmen will gossip in the taverns with the soldiers, so the forts should be able to recognize the player even if they are sailing a different ship , or have tried to disguise their ship with a paint job.

:doff

The most sensible ones to me are the "Relations Agent" and the actual nations' governors. :yes
I have now added the following option to the governor dialog:
upload_2015-9-27_1-11-25.png

To prevent confusion, this only shows up if the applicable situation actually applies to you,
e.g. you're friendly to, say, Holland, but some of the Dutch forts will fire on you anyway due to past transgressions.

If you are actually friendly to that nation (applies usually only to Privateers/Navy Officers), it will be free.
Otherwise, it will be 10% of the ordinary "amnesty" cost.

If you ARE hostile, then you'll have to pay the full 100% for amnesty instead.
That also includes the same reset, so you won't need to double-up on the pricing.

Of course if you keep making the same mistakes, you can keep paying for this.
But at least there IS now a way out, which for all intents and purposes, should solve this potential gameplay issue.

Wow thanks soo much for all the attention and concern about this fort relations subject! I feel a little sorry for triggering all this discussion and the time/work you have put into it, but at the same time I feel very happy because this new feature has emerged! It's a very cool one new feature! That makes a lot of sense! I find very understandable that you are able to ask the governor for forgiveness!
Thanks a lot for this!

Don't feel sorry. I knew something would still need to be done for this when I rewrote it the way I did.
At least we figured something out now that should never be a cheat. :cheers

Back