• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't sell ships?

Herculite

Landlubber
Not sure exactly whats going on. I've had no issues selling ships on past games, but on my new one, the bar is lit up like its sellable in the shipyard but I can not sell the ship. I have no active quests involving the ship, and the only way I could get rid of it was to remove my officer form it. I captured a new ship and have been unable to sell that one either, in any port.

Is this a known bug of some kind or am I doing something wrong?

I've seen that before, but I can't remember which ships I tried to sell. :modding
As Herculite described, the 'Sell' button lights up, you can click it, but nothing happens.
Therefore you are forced to just remove your officer to sell it.

It doesn't seem to bear any relationship to quest ships.
It's quite rare, though- most of the time it works fine. :?

When it happens, please post it on the bug tracker, along with whatever specific information you can add.

I have had that happen also. It seems to happen when I have been going through the menus adding and deleting things on ships. What I do is exit, then start over and sell the ship immediately.

Specifics are this.

I was in the starter ship and happened to enter a port fighting a pirate grouping. One of those ships was a sloop which I managed to capture.

So I go to sell the starter ship and keep the lugger but it wouldn't let me sell either.

So I did the officer thing, and got back what I assume was the money in the ships chest, not the price.

So then I am in the captured sloop and while running from a french war fleet encounter a french naval sloop coming right at me. I board that one and capture it, so now I have a naval sloop and a generic one.

I go to sell the generic one, and I get the same thing, button is lit and nothing happens.

Basically I can't sell any ship period.

So I load my last game where I had no issues like this and it still works fine.

I'm guessing it has something to do with my save being somehow corrupted.

i've had this to a yesterday and i reloaded my game from just after i had captured the ship (a rank 6 brig, i think it was) anyway, i noticed that, if i walked to the shipyard i couldnt sell it, but when i used the fast travel button the second time, i could.

i dont know if that has anything to do with it or its just a random bug.

i've had this to a yesterday and i reloaded my game from just after i had captured the ship (a rank 6 brig, i think it was) anyway, i noticed that, if i walked to the shipyard i couldnt sell it, but when i used the fast travel button the second time, i could.

i dont know if that has anything to do with it or its just a random bug.

I used fast travel, walking, anything because I had a pretty good game going and nothing worked.

I did a complete reinstall and all is working fine.

I get a similar problem occasionally, but only when trying to sell class 6/7 ships. Anything larger seems to go easily.

As for removing captains (and thus scuttling the ship), it seems rather random as to when you can and cannot do that, so I have not experimented much with it...

I just had this happen to me last night. When approaching Phillipsburg a sloop was getting hammered by the fort. I captured it and tried to sell it in the shipyard. No way. So I sailed to another port and sold it there no problem. Has anyone posted this in the bug tracker?

Dont know if this is right but can you check to see if the ships that dont sell are of a variety that the nation design is at war with the shipyard? :?

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but this is still true in Patch 6. If you walk to the shipyard, you can't sell ships. I went back after reading this, and sure enough, if you fast travel to the shipyard you can sell them just fine. It is good that there is a work-around for this, but it should go on the list to be fixed. I figured bumping this old thread up the list would help some other folks out who are running into this as well.

i discovered that swapping ships around and changing officers works as well, though i discovered through pure hassling, so i can't say the specifics. good to know there's an easier way to solve it.

Hylie Pistoff suggested that you cannot sell a ship if you've got the ship scroll scrolled all the way to the right where there is no ship.

in my experience it often happens with ships you got through quests, wether or not they're still a quest ship. but other posts seem to say othwerwise.

There's nothing to distinguish between a quest ship and an ordinary one. UNLESS the ship is set to CanBuy = false. But even then you still should be able to sell it. And it doesn't apply to many ships anyway.

Back