• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't Swap Nor Buy Ships

piratebooty69

Landlubber
Hello everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with the latest build of the mod. I cannot swap ships with any of my other officers and have been unable to purchase ships from the shipyard. Is there supposed to be a buy button somewhere? Nothing happens even when I double click on the ship (yes, I have enough money and it says my rank is high enough). My stats are:

Leadership: 7
Melee: 5
Sailing: 6
Accuracy: 4
Cannons: 2
Grappling: 4
Repair: 6
Defence: 2
Commerce: 4
Luck: 3

I looked through the wiki and documentation and it's not clear to me how the stats affect your ability to commandeer a ship. Can someone please link it or explain it to me? Thank you!

Are you a naval officer? If so, you're subject to naval discipline. You have been assigned your ship, you will command that ship, and that is an order! When you receive a promotion, you'll receive a new ship for free.

The restriction is lifted when you reach the rank of Commodore or equivalent. You're then officially a fleet commander, which means you're allowed to rearrange your fleet however you see fit, including choosing your flagship.

I'm the rank of a Naval Captain! Interesting – is this the standard/default game type (the one with Nathanial Hawk)? Do I get the restrictions lifted by furthering my quests? Is this basically end game material? A shame to have captured so many awesome ships without being able to control them haha.

Wait – just found your own answer on a different post: "Each time you capture or sink an enemy ship, you earn relation points. Press F2, then go to "Relations". Your score with Britain should have gone up a few points. When it is high enough, it turns green. That's the signal that you are due for promotion. Go to any British governor to collect the promotion." Thanks!

Oh! I'm due for a promotion!! :D Thank you!!
Wait – just found your own answer on a different post: "Each time you capture or sink an enemy ship, you earn relation points. Press F2, then go to "Relations". Your score with Britain should have gone up a few points. When it is high enough, it turns green. That's the signal that you are due for promotion. Go to any British governor to collect the promotion." Thanks!

I had the Heavy Lugger (8) and received a Naval Cutter (7). I might do only one upgrade for now, instead of two, to skip over the cutter ship. Unless you think this is a good ship? Also, does it just empty your entire cargo? Is it better to sell everything off before the promotion?
Which ship did you have before, and what do you have now?

You started with a lugger and received a cutter when you were promoted? Which navy is that? Which character did you pick at the start of the game?

In any case, you will receive a completely new ship, ready provisioned but not carrying over any cargo you had on your old ship. You're a naval officer, not a merchant - you're not supposed to be trading! (Which indeed does mean, sell everything before you take a promotion. You can't sell the ship but you can sell its guns. Don't tell the admiral I told you that. ;))

As for comparing the cutter to the lugger, check the calibre of cannons. The lugger has 4lb cannons. The cutter has 6lb guns. It's not much good as a trade ship but it's a better warship - and you're supposed to be a naval officer, not a merchant!

You started with a lugger and received a cutter when you were promoted? Which navy is that? Which character did you pick at the start of the game?

In any case, you will receive a completely new ship, ready provisioned but not carrying over any cargo you had on your old ship. You're a naval officer, not a merchant - you're not supposed to be trading! (Which indeed does mean, sell everything before you take a promotion. You can't sell the ship but you can sell its guns. Don't tell the admiral I told you that. ;))
I'm part of the British! I chose the default storyline, but chose Horatio Hornblower, NOT the Horatio Hornblower story line. I thought one was only choosing the character at the beginning – i.e. what you look like.

Haha I won't tell the admiral – I figured I'd sell stuff to make a few extra gp while I could.

Thanks for the tip on the cannons by the way – I didn't notice that! Still learning, I guess.

Is there a way to change my nation as naval officer or stop being him? I guess i could become a pirate by betraying my nation, but what about serving other nations?

Ah, that explains it. Your starting ship wasn't a lugger, it was a hoy, another type of small merchant ship.

The hoy only has 8 guns, and they're only 4lb. It might be a nice merchant ship but it's a very poor warship. The cutter is much better armed with 12 guns of 6lb calibre, and it's a little faster.

By default Horatio Hornblower is a naval officer and will get a special selection of ships based on the ships which the "real" Horatio Hornblower commanded in a series of books. But one of the settings when you start a game is your starting career, which is merchant for Nathaniel Hawk, naval officer for Horatio Hornblower, and may be set differently for some other characters. If you want to play Horatio Hornblower as a merchant, choose the model, then look for that setting and change it back.

On the other hand, if you persevere with your career as Lieutenant Hornblower, and reach the rank of Post Captain, you'll get a special quest not available to any other character...

Is there a way to change my nation as naval officer or stop being him? I guess i could become a pirate by betraying my nation, but what about serving other nations?
You could disgrace yourself, become a pirate, then visit another governor. You'd need to pay him a load of money for an amnesty, and then another load of money for a Letter of Marque, which turns you into a privateer in the service of his nation. Or, since you're not far into the game, if you really don't want to continue as naval officer Hornblower then you're probably as well to just start a new game and set it up the way you want it.

Ah, that explains it. Your starting ship wasn't a lugger, it was a hoy, another type of small merchant ship.

The hoy only has 8 guns, and they're only 4lb. It might be a nice merchant ship but it's a very poor warship. The cutter is much better armed with 12 guns of 6lb calibre, and it's a little faster.

By default Horatio Hornblower is a naval officer and will get a special selection of ships based on the ships which the "real" Horatio Hornblower commanded in a series of books. But one of the settings when you start a game is your starting career, which is merchant for Nathaniel Hawk, naval officer for Horatio Hornblower, and may be set differently for some other characters. If you want to play Horatio Hornblower as a merchant, choose the model, then look for that setting and change it back.

On the other hand, if you persevere with your career as Lieutenant Hornblower, and reach the rank of Post Captain, you'll get a special quest not available to any other character...
Thanks for the tip! I think I'll stick with him and see where the quest line goes!

You could disgrace yourself, become a pirate, then visit another governor. You'd need to pay him a load of money for an amnesty, and then another load of money for a Letter of Marque, which turns you into a privateer in the service of his nation. Or, since you're not far into the game, if you really don't want to continue as naval officer Hornblower then you're probably as well to just start a new game and set it up the way you want it.
It's absolutely heartbreaking to have your reputation go from 20 to -60. For some reason this kept happening to me. I realized this was the governor smuggling quest, and that unbeknownst to me, somehow some of the cargo I was supposed to trade with the smugglers got sold. I literally could not sail to any close island in time to get more. After 1.5 hours of this, I realized I could load an earlier game and just suck up the leveling progress I made. It was quick to catch up anyway. Thank god for all of my infinite quick saves! Whew!

There are only three reasons I can think of why your smuggling cargo was sold. The obvious one is that you sold the cargo! Another is if you got promoted and accepted the promotion before handing over the cargo, in which case your cargo disappeared along with the old ship. And if you had a companion ship, some of the cargo was loaded onto that, and you then sold that ship, the cargo will have gone with it (which effectively counts as "you sold the cargo"). Basically, once you take the governor smuggling quest, don't do anything else (sell cargo, sell ships, sail away to another island) until it's completed. The whole quest should be easy to complete without leaving the island since you'll be given contraband for this island, you contact the smugglers in the tavern on this island, then you sail to a beach on this island to do the job, and return straight to the governor of this island to complete the quest.

What sort of ship do you have, what sort of cargo were you asked to smuggle, and how much did you get? The quest could fail if the governor tried to give you more cargo than your ship can carry, but he's supposed to check that and only allow you to take the quest if you have enough space.

In any case, you should have a month in which to buy a replacement cargo. That should easily be enough time to sail to the nearest colony on which the cargo is not contraband, buy some, and return. If you can't manage that then you're liable to run into trouble with several other sidequests with time limits.

But it's certainly a good idea to save game often for various reasons.

There are only three reasons I can think of why your smuggling cargo was sold. The obvious one is that you sold the cargo! Another is if you got promoted and accepted the promotion before handing over the cargo, in which case your cargo disappeared along with the old ship. And if you had a companion ship, some of the cargo was loaded onto that, and you then sold that ship, the cargo will have gone with it (which effectively counts as "you sold the cargo"). Basically, once you take the governor smuggling quest, don't do anything else (sell cargo, sell ships, sail away to another island) until it's completed. The whole quest should be easy to complete without leaving the island since you'll be given contraband for this island, you contact the smugglers in the tavern on this island, then you sail to a beach on this island to do the job, and return straight to the governor of this island to complete the quest.

What sort of ship do you have, what sort of cargo were you asked to smuggle, and how much did you get? The quest could fail if the governor tried to give you more cargo than your ship can carry, but he's supposed to check that and only allow you to take the quest if you have enough space.

In any case, you should have a month in which to buy a replacement cargo. That should easily be enough time to sail to the nearest colony on which the cargo is not contraband, buy some, and return. If you can't manage that then you're liable to run into trouble with several other sidequests with time limits.

But it's certainly a good idea to save game often for various reasons.
Thanks for your thoughts!

So – I had two ships, and I think what happened was the ship had very minimal cargo (like 600-700?) and it actually overflowed to the other ship. In earlier saves that seemed to be the case. However, it doesn't explain how I ended up with 143 of tobacco. I suspect I accidentally sold it. However – I do recall seeing a message pass quickly which was something along the lines of "your crew sold some of this item to buy food" or something of the sort. Can you crew sell goods if there is zero food in storage?

Yes, that can happen. Cargo for quests such as governor smuggling or delivering cargo for a storekeeper is calculated for your whole fleet, not just your own ship. So if your own ship doesn't have enough space but you have another ship, any cargo which won't fit onto your ship will indeed go to that other ship.

Food is normally shared across your whole fleet, so that it's fine to have all your food on one ship. Each day when the crew's food allocation is calculated, each ship takes its fair share from the total. If all your food is on one ship then the crews' allocations will be taken from that ship. If every ship carries some food then each ship will contribute some food to the total allocation.

Shipyards are another matter. If you do something in the shipyard (e.g. repair or sell a ship), the shipyard checks each individual ship for food. Any ship which doesn't have food automatically buys an emergency supply, and if it has too much other cargo to be able to receive that emergency supply, it will sell some cargo to make room. Therefore, don't go to the shipyard in the middle of a governor smuggling quest! (Or, for that matter, during a cargo delivery quest for a storekeeper.)

Yes, that can happen. Cargo for quests such as governor smuggling or delivering cargo for a storekeeper is calculated for your whole fleet, not just your own ship. So if your own ship doesn't have enough space but you have another ship, any cargo which won't fit onto your ship will indeed go to that other ship.

Food is normally shared across your whole fleet, so that it's fine to have all your food on one ship. Each day when the crew's food allocation is calculated, each ship takes its fair share from the total. If all your food is on one ship then the crews' allocations will be taken from that ship. If every ship carries some food then each ship will contribute some food to the total allocation.

Shipyards are another matter. If you do something in the shipyard (e.g. repair or sell a ship), the shipyard checks each individual ship for food. Any ship which doesn't have food automatically buys an emergency supply, and if it has too much other cargo to be able to receive that emergency supply, it will sell some cargo to make room. Therefore, don't go to the shipyard in the middle of a governor smuggling quest! (Or, for that matter, during a cargo delivery quest for a storekeeper.)
Ok – THAT makes sense. I do think at some point they sold some of my cargo. Will take note to not go to the shipyard during smuggling missions. Honestly I thought those missions would be harder. I'm glad I was wrong. Smuggling is something I want to look into as well since it doesn't seem smuggled items can be sold in stores without that one skill ability as far as I can tell.

Ok – THAT makes sense. I do think at some point they sold some of my cargo. Will take note to not go to the shipyard during smuggling missions. Honestly I thought those missions would be harder. I'm glad I was wrong. Smuggling is something I want to look into as well since it doesn't seem smuggled items can be sold in stores without that one skill ability as far as I can tell.
smuggling is just another very poor and absurd easy way of making money. Buy stuff from colony A -> go tavern in colony B -> chat with smuggler and soldier -> go to the shore -> make gigantic income. Repeat as much as you want and you are a millioner so now any gold reward from quests, finding a treasures, doing export/import trades, selling personal items no longer have any sense coz you just got unlimited amount of money... Same stupid stuff with merchant cargo quests...

Back