• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't Swap Nor Buy Ships

Ook, thanks for the fast response, yeah I knew the point 3, indeed that was the point for me to become a naval officer, wanted to reach to Capitan de Navio, but suddenly I received a quest completed that said something like...due to my efforts and many years in the Caribbean they granted me the opportunity to rearrange my own fleet...

It all began when I failed a governor's smuggler mission, i spoke to the smuggler in the tabern, he gives me a book bla bla bla and then he said to meet in a beach (Oyster beach). But, that was my first time doing smuggling and I failed to go to that beach, probably because I went to world map mode and the days passed too fast.

So I failed the smuggling quest, but anyway, I received a quest item, a smuggler inform or something like that, I gave that inform to the governor and still pays me and gave me rep.

Don't know if that's normal or not, but after that I received that quest about ship rearrange etc etc.

I'm not at home now, but if you need I can post screenshot so you can check, and the save file

Yes, I'd definitely like to see both the screenshot and the savegame. You should get a document from the governor when you first accept the job, which you can show to the coastguard patrol if they catch you talking to the smugglers. But you shouldn't get the report document unless you successfully completed the smuggling deal. I'll need to find out why you do get the document when you fail the smuggling quest and put a stop to it!

Here, basically, what i did, if you wanna reproduce the error:

-Start free play, selecting naval officer from Spain.
-Go to Governor and take the smuggler mission, he gives you the document, but for this case, its irrelevant.
-Go to tavern, smuggler, speak...he gives you a little "tutorial" in smuggling, that i didnt complete (the part that the smuggler suggest you to find in a tavern a soldier, so you can know the patrol hours) i directly spoke to him again. A smuggling tutorial book added to my inventory (cool)
-Then he tolds me to go to Oyster Beach (im in Puerto Rico).
-I didnt (actually, dont) know how to be a proper smuggler, so, i went to the sea, and instead of "sail to" i went to the world map (i assume thats the correct action, use the "sail to")
-In world map the time go faster, so a sound notified me that i failed the smuggler meeting, anyway, i went to port and received the smuggler information wich i gave to governor and completed the mission.
-Also i received that document in the image file.

Something worth mention,in an attempt to search for the beach in the world map, around Puerto Rico, i went to a "beach" in the other side of the island of Puerto Rico, went to sea, and then again to world map and suddenly i was in another island, not Puerto Rico.

Attachments

• San Juan Assignment.png
    San Juan Assignment.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
  • -=Naval Officer Free=- Puerto Rico. San Juan port. February 20th, 1790.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 67
By the way, the smuggler forced me to pay 5000 coins, to start smuggling, despite it is a new save and i didnt do nothing to the smugglers.

And, something worth mention, i selected napoleonic era 1 January 1790 as a starting date.

The "quest" in the screenshot is just the standard introduction to a naval officer. It doesn't say you can rearrange ships, it says you are ordered to cruise for prizes. That means you're to attack enemy ships. You can capture them but you can't exchange to them, you can only sell them as prizes. That questbook entry should have been there right from the start of the game.

Something worth mention,in an attempt to search for the beach in the world map, around Puerto Rico, i went to a "beach" in the other side of the island of Puerto Rico, went to sea, and then again to world map and suddenly i was in another island, not Puerto Rico.
That beach was probably Oyster Beach. That is, unless you found the small island immediately south of Puerto Rico. It's still part of Puerto Rico as far as the worldmap is concerned but you won't be able to land on that island until you take the "Strange Things Going On in the Caribbean" sidequest. You're allowed to use "Sail To" unless you set the realism mode to "Iron Man", though you can only use it if you have a map of the island or if you've already been to the port or beach.

The smugglers don't like naval officers! That's why you had to pay 5000 coins before they would allow you to smuggle.

That tutorial is simply reading the book, which contains hints for new players who don't know how to smuggle. That means you. ;) In particular, there's a hint to do what the smuggler suggested, which is talk to a soldier and try to find out when it's safe to smuggle.

The starting period should not affect any of this. It will affect the types of ships and weapons you will find, and also the uniforms of soldiers. It can also affect international relations.

Last edited:
Try putting these files into your game. "Smuggler_OnShore_dialog.c" goes into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS", "quests_side.c" goes into "PROGRAM\QUESTS". I've tested them myself, you can try them as well. Talking to a smuggler on the shore sets something which is checked when you're about to get the smuggling report, so you only get the report if you talked to a smuggler. You can only tell the governor that you completed the mission if you have the report. So, if you don't get to the beach in time, you can't say anything to the governor but you can talk to the smuggler agent in the tavern and try again.

However, don't take too long because the governor has his own deadline and there's a hint about that in the questbook. If you fail to complete the mission within a month, the governor thinks you've decided to keep his cargo for yourself, so you'll be kicked out of the navy and Spain will become hostile to you.

Attachments

• Smuggler_OnShore_dialog.c
    31 KB · Views: 53
  • quests_side.c
    750.2 KB · Views: 58
Back