• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Capsizing Ships

No ideer. Functionally storms are deadly hard in a starter ship with an inexperienced captain. Then as one gets bigger ships and better skills the storms become less deadly until they almost get routine. But never get complacent. This is a mid size pinnace.
Davey Jones locker.jpg

There is a series of warnings the player gets, starting at a roll angle of 11 degrees, and if the ship continues to exceed the next limits, eventually it will capsize at over 15 degrees.
I don't think the specific values have really been experimented with much, so we could increase the max roll angle before capsizing if necessary.

If it's an easy change, it might be worth it for realism's sake. It's hard to make a call on this one strictly based on realism, since you have no control over what sails you have set. Without any canvas at all, a ship could recover from even more than 60 degrees of roll.

The only difficulty we have is that the ships don't interact with the water realistically, so I don't think they are capable of reaching anything like 50 degrees, even in rough seas.
We could experiment of course, because Pieter managed to make the roll angle show up on-screen in storms, so it's possible to determine some limits for various ships and find a suitable average to use for capsizing.

50 degrees?????? :shock Two words: The Vasa.

Seriously, the roll angle is adjusted to fit the game physics.

Sorry for not reading through... I'm a little short on time at the moment... What were the final criteria for capsizing? The angles I saw early on in the thread were a bit low, (ships could safely heel in excess of 50 degrees while under sail) so I was wondering where things ended up.
Capsizing occurs mainly after repeated "heavy" rolling.
I understand that the mod's definition of "heavy" (eg. 15 degrees) is not exactly realistic, but if we go for realistic values, the whole mod becomes pointless since then ships don't capsize at all.
Basically, the values should be such that ships can capsize if ill-managed in a storm, but storms are not completely lethal.
We've got to work with the game physics to get some gameplay value; after all, the original intent of this mod was to not have storms be somewhat exciting, rather than boring as they used to be.

See this part in PROGRAM\NK.c if you want to experiment:
Code:
#define ROLL_ANGLE_WARNING 11 // Armada: For testing purposes, you can decrease any of the values on the left
#define ROLL_ANGLE_MORALE  12 // to make the various events occur more easily.
#define ROLL_ANGLE_GOODS   13
#define ROLL_ANGLE_DAMAGE  14
#define ROLL_ANGLE_CAPSIZE 15
Recommend to increase all values by the same amount to something you're happy with.
Note that EACH number MUST be different.

Back