• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Capsizing Ships

I use arcade mode with all settings the same as realistic mode. Normally in a storm I use no sails unless battle sails are needed to turn the ship into the waves. I never use time compression during a storm. Only for traveling between islands. Last night I was traveling in world map and dropped out to change flags, right into a storm. So I decided to try out Morgan Terror's technique. The ship was a class 4 light Fluyt of War. Started out with full sails and the ship would not turn. Dropped to battle sails and it started turning but was rolling badly enough to toss some cargo overboard. Finally got her pointed down wind and gave her full sails. Was still picking up speed when the storm ended. So, I wuz sitting there thinking about it when I noticed the ship turning left. Full right rudder! No good, the ship started spinning to the left in its own length. Sigh. World map!

so sailing along with the wind is no use? damn. was really fun to go clipper-style in my corvette.

That one was a short storm and I was pointing the wrong way at the start. A better starting orientation and a longer storm would have had that fluyt flying. At least until the sails shredded. I got caught in a storm once that lasted 20 minutes real time. There were no sails at all left and not much hull either.

I mainly wanted to say that it wasn't until after that storm ended that my ship started spinning.

Sailing along the wind should also decrease the rolling of the ship and therefore should also be able to get you through.
As long as you can manoeuvre to get the waves from ahead or astern, you should be good.
In real life, waves from ahead is preferrable to prevent synchronous rolling effects.

Agh, I was just reminded of this problem when trying to get an updated screenshot for a new ship, and accidentally getting into a storm instead. :facepalm
I began at about 45 degrees from the waves heading towards me, then tried turning to port into the waves.
It worked, for about 2-3 seconds, since the ship KEPT turning to port.
I had no control, even with full starboard rudder; she just kept on turning until the end of the storm, when she finally stopped, and I had control again.
This useless spinning is becoming more and more of a pain, since no matter how hard I try, I get the same result as if I just sat there with all sails struck, just with extra (and I think, unreasonable) sail damage. :modding

Did the ships always become hard to control or was that a problem that was somehow recently introduced?

The capsize mod does not do any sail damage; that's original storm effects... :?

Well yes but in reality, alot of experienced Captain's took advantage of the often storms of the Carribean. One stormy night and there covered enough sea like 2/3 regular days back in Europe :keith .

Did the ships always become hard to control or was that a problem that was somehow recently introduced?

The capsize mod does not do any sail damage; that's original storm effects... :?
If you talk about ship spining over and over, that was in stock PotC already.

If you talk about ship spining over and over, that was in stock PotC already.
Yes, they've always been like that, I think, so no need to blame the capsize mod.
And I'm aware that the mod doesn't do any sail damage, but I just think the damage done regularly is a bit unreasonable (and quite possibly, unrealistic) anyway.

See, this is what isn't possible in-game, since there is virtually no control and the sails get shredded within minutes. So storms are total hell for any captains at the moment! If we could somehow reduce the sail damage and spinning, storms would be more manageable, and at least make battles within them easier to play. It would also be very helpful for trying to prevent capsizing, which at the moment is a bit hit-and-miss.
Basically, no changes to the capsize mod are required, I'm just on about improving handling in storms in general. :shrug

I hesitated to comment here, but your frustration is obvious Experienced Captain. The spinning ships is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Where would one look to attempt to modify that?

The lack of control while in a storm has a lot to do with the ship itself. A slow turning ship will turn even slower or not at all. A class 5 Carrack has trouble turning while a class 5 Xebec has no trouble at all.

Fighting a battle in a storm? How? I furl all sails and accept battle damage until the storm ends, knowing that the other ships will then have shredded sails and will not be able to maneuver, so I can easily blast them into toothpicks. :2guns Reducing sail damage might force me to fight during the storm. :ixi But it all comes back to the spinning. As often as not I'll just go back to the last save and start over rather than put up with the spinning ships. :modding

Indeed, it is highly frustrating, especially when testing changes to the Capsize mod. :modding
But the problem is, I don't know which files are relevant to ship handling in storms. Even if I did, I'm not sure what sort of code would change it.

I agree that the ships determine the control, but the trouble is when they don't stop turning, regardless of their size and manoeuvrability.
And as for storms, that's exactly what I'm saying: battles in storms have no purpose, except to provide easy prey to the player once the storm has ended. Now imagine how much more challenging (and fun!) it would be to actually be able to FIGHT the battles in storms... :shock

Sometimes after "spinning storms"(I must say, awsome name) I go to world map and when I exit world map, it shows me my ship slowly stops spinning, maybe we could find a solution there? where it stops spinning.

And, about the capsize mod, how could cargo fall overboard if its locked in the cargo hold? If it's a Tartane, I get it, but big ships with a 1000+ men, its more likely that 500 men will go overboard then the cargo :razz

Spinning storms battles(even cooler name) - Storms could be also a great opportunity to escape, if you are caught in a fight against bigger or more ship then you have. But with the spinning, even all of them don't have any sails(unlikely) you couldn't beat them.

I haven't the foggiest what to do about the spinning. :modding

The cargo thought is a bit weirdish, I admit, but I like it. :razz

Yeah. Look around the deck of the Wicked Wench. There are barrels and bags all over the place. It is easy to see how they could get tossed overboard in a storm. That ship is the most detailed one in the game, so is that also realistic?

Yeah. Look around the deck of the Wicked Wench. There are barrels and bags all over the place. It is easy to see how they could get tossed overboard in a storm. That ship is the most detailed one in the game, so is that also realistic?
For realism, see pgargon's ships from the ship pack... some of them also have barrels etc on the top deck. :yes

How about an option of the crew falling overboard? maybe you could even pick them up after the storm and gain reputation ;) ?

For realism, see pgargon's ships from the ship pack... some of them also have barrels etc on the top deck. :yes

How? I tried to install Maya, but have the wrong OS. I did manage to install GMViewer, but it is all gray scale and one can't see a thing.

In GM viewer you need to open the file where what you want to view is found. Then you need to open the file where the textures are, like this -

Ships: PotC beta 1 p.3\RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships

Ship textures - PotC beta 1 p.3\RESOURCE\Textures\Ships

Good luck!

Back