• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP "Caribbean!" - Single and Multi-Player Game

rippentropp

Landlubber
Kar2.jpg

I don't know if anyone of you has heard about this or posted about this on these forums before, but..

SiCh studio, the maker of Mount&Blade With Fire&Sword has announced some time ago that they are working on a pirate-based game, and it is obviously based somewhere in the age of sail.
It will be using the same engine as in other Mount&Blade games (made by turkish Taleworlds).
Caribbean is set as the map and it will have 5 different factions, Spanish, Dutch, English, French and pirates.

I have no idea what will the gameplay be like, but I hope they do it good.

If you're interested you can check these russian sites translated to english with Google Translate.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gameway.com.ua%2Fpreview%2F4981-na-kariby-novaya-ukrainskaya-igra-ot-sozdateley-ognem-i-mechem-ekslyuzivnaya-premera-ot-gameway.html
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgames.totalwars.ru%2Fpreview%2F3d-action%2F788-mount-and-blade-karibes-preview.html

They have mentioned that the release date would probably be in Spring 2012

Haven't heard too much in the way of good things about With Fire & Sword (namely little support and basically no bug fixes), so I don't have feelings one way or the other on this at the moment. :shrug

I am still a bit groggy this morning, so this one caused me to take a bit of a double take because it sounds way to good to be true! Snowbird Game Studios has announced a new Naval action RPG called Caribbean! According to the press release this will be an in depth RPG, Snowbird is the creator of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, so this has the potential to be one awesome game! I'll do some more digging and see what all I can find about it, but here is the press release.

July 2, Moscow. Snowbird Game Studios announced today the new naval action-RPG called Caribbean! The game is set in XVII century’s Caribbean region, whose unspeakable riches drew many European powers and pirates into the great fight. The game lets player decide their own role and goals and to create their own pirate adventure. Filled with spectacular and brutal sea battles, boarding fights, duels, political intrigues and, of course, piracy, Caribbean! contains everything you ever wanted to have in a videogame about the Golden Era of Piracy.
The game is developed by Snowbird Game Studios (creators of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword title) in close cooperation with the developers of the original Mount & Blade game – TaleWorlds Entertainment. Using the improved Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword game engine, Caribbean! offers one of the most engaging melee battles system and advanced horse-riding mechanics, including some exciting new features:
  • Sea battles with intuitive and easy control system;
  • The real-time boarding fights that throw player in the centre of the action;
  • Detailed management and customization of both the fleet and the crew;
  • Complex siege system allowing the players to storm forts, harbors or entire cities;
  • Different kinds of artillery: shipboard cannons, mortars and howitzers;
  • Random events system that keeps players question their decisions during their voyage;
  • True ‘Carribean’ atmosphere of the vast and dangerous world;
  • Unique NPCs whose design based on the real historical figures;
  • Various multiplayer modes featuring the sea and land battles, boarding and sieges.
The PC release of the game is scheduled for the Autumn of 2012.

**EDIT**

Found a couple of screen shots and if these are real, this game is going to blow us away!

Caribbean2.jpg

Caribbean4.jpg

You can find the full resolution versions over on their web page HERE!

Attachments

• snowbird_logo_website1.png
    snowbird_logo_website1.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 159
Have to check the date... Nope, it's NOT April 1st. That actually sounds really good. What's the source of that?
Does anyone think we might be able to get in touch with the developers and try to provide some further input?
After all, it sounds like they're trying to do what we are trying too, so maybe we can help get things right.
Or at least... better than usually happens when a game is made with all the best intentions before going in the wrong direction.

"Autumn of 2012", eh? That's actually really soon too! How can there be only half a year between the announcement of the game and the release???

As soon as I get more caffeine in my system, I am gonna shoot them an email! But yeah, I would have posted this sooner but I had to read it like 5 times! Seriously, take a look at the full resolution screen shots on their web page, they look awesome!

Hm, isn´t this the same game that has been announced in...february, I think? M&B: Into the Carribean was the title, the developers are the same.

It may very well be the same Bava, I vaguely remember the announcement, but I don't think it mentioned full blown naval combat with boarding action! That was a while back though, so I my memory may not be the best.

More information is needed. The water is far too smooth in those screenies. There is still 4-6 months to wait.

The mount and blade engine is very easy to mod as well! Go to the taleworlds foroums and se all of the great mods being made for warband and the original!

First impressions: it looks a little too arcade-y and even slightly cartoon-y to me, but maybe I'm just too sceptical that ANY developer can get it right. :rolleyes:
Funny how it's always the Russians that have a go. Seems no western developers dare to move away from console games these days.

Those screenshots look quite a lot like an updated PotC/AoP/CoAS game should look.
The water indeed does look very smooth in all of them, but hopefully there's a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet.

A properly moddable engine does sound very useful. What kind of mods have they managed to make for Mount & Blade then?
Just so we get an idea of the possibilities...

First impressions: it looks a little too arcade-y and even slightly cartoon-y to me, but maybe I'm just too sceptical that ANY developer can get it right. :rolleyes:
PotC has a slight cartooney look and I don't mind it at all. After all, achieving 100% realism, especially with people, is insanely difficult.
A pleasing stylized look would be much easier to accomplish and maintain when different people with different skill levels all start making character models.
As an example, compare, say, The Polar Express with Shrek. One is considered creepy,
while the other is brilliant entertainment where the look of the characters is not distracting despite being obviously not 100% real.
According to the special features on Shrek, they actually had to make Fiona less lifelike, because she was starting to look weirdish.
Or comparing more recent movies: Serious animated film Beowulf versus The Adventures of Tintin that looks almost lifelike, but obviously cartooney too.

I don't see anything obviously cartooney in those screenshots; would you mind pointing something out to me?
AoP/CoAS definitely DO have a cartooney look in my book though, seemingly inspired by Japanese Anime.
That always seemed really quite out-of-place to me.

Back