• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP "Caribbean!" - Single and Multi-Player Game

I don't know if it would be a good first version of HoO exactly since it is a different game style, but it could be a good game to build by reusing a lot of the existing assets (like the ones from the mode pack that @Radetzky got us). It could help us vet out a lot of small things that HoO would use later (damage models and such). It is a MUCH simpler game type than what HoO has in mind.

Are there any good preview articles around for "Caribbean!"?
I would quite like to know its similarities and differences with the Storm Engine games, eg. Pirates of the Caribbean and the two Age of Pirates ones.

Here is 20 minutes of me going through the game and yapping in the background about it. It cuts off for some reason at the end and I didn't know it. Only missed a couple minutes of footage though.

I just watched your video. Very interesting, I've got to say. Looks like a cross between the Total War series where it comes to large-scale nation-based interaction,
combined with the worldmap idea of Sid Meier's Pirates! Sea battles seem slightly improved compared to SMP and boardings seem similar to the Storm-Engine games.

Definitely a lot of interesting features in there. Some specific comments:
- Apparently you cannot visit your towns? That is a bit of a shame.
- Sea battles don't look very exciting and last far too short. Seems a bit like Assassin's Creed IV in that respect.
+ The ability to take control of the cannons in a boarding action is VERY cool.
+ The events occurring on the worldmap seem to indicate a proper, living game world which definitely holds a lot of potential.
+ I like the idea of Total War/SMP where you get to control your own character in land battles. Much more action-packed than the strategic approach.

In Warband you could visit towns/cities/forts and they were explorable. They only had certain levels pre-made though, so a lot of them looked alike when going to them.

The sea battles last longer when you aren't sailing a heavily modified Class 1 battleship with upgraded guns and perks. I am only about 4 hours into the game so hopefully the other units level up along with your character otherwise even a single upgraded class 1 can easily take on 4-5 stock class 1's.

I'll have to find what was left out and make another vid with the rest of the features of the town/ship management.

Interesting videos! The shipyard upgrades and cannon management look excellent; it's cool to see multiple gun calibres on different decks, much like we want for HoO.
It's a shame those different calibres don't actually seem to have much of a tactical effect on the battles yet, as there's a lot of potential there.

The sea battles themselves look awfully bland, though, both aesthetically and gameplay-wise. Hopefully that will improve in later versions.

Yep, very interesting indeed. Does look like some of the PotC features, though somewhat more advanced.
Personally I'd like to see a different system for character development in HoO though where you don't get to deal with too much number-crunching.

Can you get that "Born Leader" trait later on in the game? If so, that doesn't really sound to make much sense, does it?
Also, why does "cleaning your hull" decrease the cargo hold though? Or is it due to the "storage space required for the cleaning tools"? Uh? o_O

You can purchase most traits any time, only a few have a prerequisite of another lower trait. There are a few things in the ship 'upgrades' that don't make a lot of sense, but I imagine they will get better over time or at least be moddable.

Now as far as cannons go, I have a better idea in mind for HoO, just have to get the ship entity further along before I can work on that. Now the upgraded cannons make a tactical difference when you are running smaller boats into battles against larger ones. It just doesn't do a lot of good when you are in the largest ship and already have big guns and a lot of them. I don't know if you noticed, but the cannons reloaded at different speeds due to their size. You can see the higher decks reload much faster than the lower deck, so there is some drawback to the larger gun sizes. Also remember that my character is a much higher level than a starting one, so I have leveled up the cannon abilities pretty high and have reduced reloading speed as much as possible.

In all though, it is fun to play, easy to learn, and hard to master. All traits I like in a game.

Back