• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Cartagena - Has 2 Taverns !!

Talisman

Smuggler
Storm Modder
In Build 14 Beta 4 public release

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional.

There are 2 taverns in Cartagena:-

One in the part of town that looks like Port Royale ( where the Port Royale tavern is -- this is the tavern you are sent to by Fast travel )

The other in the new part of town near the Store.

They both have different interiors and different Tavern Keepers

See images

This might cause some confusion

:shrug

Attachments

• POTC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_1.jpg
    POTC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_1.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 251
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_2.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 262
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_3.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern1_3.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 243
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_1.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_1.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 247
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_2.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 249
  • PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_3.jpg
    PotC_B14Beta4_Cartagena_Tavern2_3.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 265
Apparently this tavern is NOT used in the @Bartolomeu o Portugues storyline; I thought it was.

Would be nice if there were something unique about the second one, making it worthwhile to visit.
But what...?

Now that @Jack Rackham added Fast Travel for the second tavern, I think it should be given a more interesting name than "Tavern 2".
Anyone got any fun ideas? :cheeky

Wait until someone does something interesting with it, then name it appropriately.

Besides, it is "Tavern 2". If you rename it, people might not realise that it's a tavern. :facepalm

For the time being, it just shows as "Second Tavern" in my game:

upload_2016-6-8_21-47-8.png

Thankfully @Jack Rackham gave it a rather obvious "tavern-like" icon, so even if it isn't named "tavern", I imagine most people would notice.
Especially if we'd change their display order a bit and put them right next next to each other. :cheeky

And even if not, I figure most people might be curious about these various icons they haven't pressed yet.
That's what I'm hoping for anyway so that new players will notice all these locations actually exist.

Don't fast travel icons only appear if you've already been there once or had directions from a citizen? The standard ones do, so if these ones are always available then at first only the new ones will be visible. That's going to be a nasty surprise for a new player with a low-level character who wonders what the one in Bridgetown does and ends up in the Maltese Abbey, briefly. :ko But if they follow standard procedure and are indeed only available after you've already been there then they won't attract anyone's attention.

It indeed works like that on Realistic Game Mode, but on Arcade Game Mode they're all immediately available.
The reason why you see them all in my screenshots is because I tested on Arcade as that saves me a lot of time. ;)

@Jack Rackham added all the necessary code for the "discover" requirement to function as it should. :yes

I'm considering adding a feature for taverns to be able to sell you a bottle of wine or rum. You'll also need to hire a room. The explanation is that the tavern keeper doesn't want you going out on the street, getting drunk there and causing trouble, so you're supposed to drink the bottle in the room. This will not be enforced - in fact it's just the tavern keeper covering himself so he can deny blame if you do go outside and get drunk, and it's also a way to extract more money from you.

The first place which is going to offer bottles for sale is Cartagena's second tavern...

I'm considering adding a feature for taverns to be able to sell you a bottle of wine or rum. You'll also need to hire a room. The explanation is that the tavern keeper doesn't want you going out on the street, getting drunk there and causing trouble, so you're supposed to drink the bottle in the room. This will not be enforced - in fact it's just the tavern keeper covering himself so he can deny blame if you do go outside and get drunk, and it's also a way to extract more money from you.

The first place which is going to offer bottles for sale is Cartagena's second tavern...
Sounds interesting. But I think that requires bottles to DO something.
See also here: Feature Request - Availability of Potions, Wine and Rum Items | PiratesAhoy!

I definitely support your idea though! :onya

There will be need for a bottle of wine in my storyline. Any other uses for them are for other people to invent. :D And if I get the wine/rum sale working, it can of course be copied into other tavern keepers' dialogs as needed.

(That Feature Request thread also mentions how I normally get my bottles :beer:, and other people may have acquired them the same way, in which case a visit to the tavern won't be needed. This is just to make sure that a bottle is readily available for anyone who hasn't already got one by the time they reach this point.)

Well, if it's just for the purposes of your storyline, you can just point players to the Nevis Brothel and be done with it.
Wine and rum are already sold there and have been for many, many years.

Of course the Brothel is disabled by default, so a non-Brothel location that does the same would be useful in that respect.

No I can't, there's a reason why I need the bottle to be available in Cartagena. In any case, once bottles are more widely available, maybe someone else will make use of them.

But I can always have a storyline-specific version of tavern keeper 2's dialog so he only sells bottles in the storyline, then he keeps his normal behaviour anywhere else. Then everyone else will need to go to Nevis to get their bottles, as now.

Back