• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Chapman's Frigate

Oskar94

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Now i'm working on this model, it's a firgate from Chapman's plan, what do you think?

o8gns2.jpg

2dh79ja.jpg

Nice we can use more nice quality frigates for the build mod. :yes The old stock ones could use replacing good job.

I'm liking this! Looking very good Jack! :woot

I'm working on them both, so i think i'll finish first the La Belle, because is smaller and faster to do, i have to do only the stern and masts...

I'm just curious as my knowledge of frigates is somewhat limited. Is this ship based on any historical ships or is she just a really cool looking ship for the captain to name the class of?

Hi, this frigate was wrighted by Chapman, she's on the XIII table of his Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, really i don't know if she was ever launched, but she was certainly wrighted...

Well launched or not in real life she's certainly a nice looking heavy frigate. With a few color variants she along with the surprise, unicorn, and raa will make fine replacements for all the ugly remaining stock PotC frigates. :yes looking forward to them all.

With a few color variants she along with the surprise, unicorn, and raa will make fine replacements for all the ugly remaining stock PotC frigates. :yes
Well some of the stock frigates aren't THAT ugly... especially when you see what Craiggo has done recently, with his new textures and details. :woot

True enough there are some decently nice ones in the stock category. But this ship and the other up and coming frigates are MUCH nicer. A lot of the stock ships are good but are meerly showing their age compared to the newer wares such as Pgargon's as well as Captain Jack's ships here and also the PotBS ships SeaNorris and others are getting permissions to use. All in all the future of Build mod ships is looking great.

Keep up all the great work everyone. :onya

Will the new frigates have their spankers facing in the correct direction? Right now the best frigate is the fastmerchantman because it is the only one with a correct spanker.

Will the new frigates have their spankers facing in the correct direction?
Uhh... I tried to solve this in different ways using the locators' directional values, but still I can't get a better effect than the current one, which unfortunately turns the model inside-out and reverses the lighting.
I managed to orient the sails at and angle, but that makes them very one-sided in the way they move.
So the best way is to make all spanker models inside out, and then the locator stuff counters it in-game.
The problem for me is making them inside-out without using the dreaded Maya 5... :modding
However, if the modellers could, that would solve everything. It's just a LOT of spankers to invert.

Well, since they have to use Maya 5 anyway........ :wp

Maybe the new ships can be fixed as they are being built, and then some of the old ones can be taken out of service. :nerbz

There's one thing I was wondering Jack: could you possibly try to re-use some of the textures you used for Poseidon and Surprise, under the same names?
The only reason for that is because both ships have a lot of textures all to themselves, when really they could share some of them universally.
It's just in the interests of keeping the modpack size down, so if you could do this, we'd much appreciate it! :onya

Back