• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character Backstory

redbox331

Landlubber
I would like to help in creating a story for the protagonist itself. I am just curious about how you guys want him/her to be geared towards such as naval, merchant shipping, privateering, etc. If you guys would like to have me here, count me in !:onya

You want to build a character for our main quest? Will we have a main quest or will we end up with many quests in different periods?

I'm leaning towards many protagonists across all the periods. That will increase the game's replay value beyond belief, and would cater to the interests of everyone making the game.

I personally think that there shouldn't be either a back-story or a main character at all. The game will be open source and therefore anyone can create storys and characters as much they like. JUSt IMHO. The main character should be a self-nameable created protagonist "and the story should be created by the player playing the game" :)

I think we will definitely need to implement a random quest system at some point, but I hadn't really given much thought to a main quest. I agree, there should be several starting character options per era, and also nationality.

With at least three staring professions per nationality and era, Pirate Merchant and Naval, we could potentially need quite a few starting backstory's mate. We will also need a character creation system, I really need to get started on that design document soon! :wp

I personally think that there shouldn't be either a back-story or a main character at all. The game will be open source and therefore anyone can create storys and characters as much they like. JUSt IMHO. The main character should be a self-nameable created protagonist "and the story should be created by the player playing the game" :)
i disagree with this, personally if there is nothing to the story it wont be fun (story wise). indeed i enjoyed M&B when it dose not had any story, but i enjoyed POP (prophecy of pendor, a very reach mod for M&B in lore and story) a lot more. story give soul to the game.
I think we will definitely need to implement a random quest system at some point, but I hadn't really given much thought to a main quest. I agree, there should be several starting character options per era, and also nationality.

With at least three staring professions per nationality and era, Pirate Merchant and Naval, we could potentially need quite a few starting backstory's mate. We will also need a character creation system, I really need to get started on that design document soon! :wp
i like random quest, it add a lot of replayability,
, sadly making a real random quest is not easy. i really like to see your ideas.

Well, here's what I think. I believe that there should be a backstory to most of the characters (yes with an "s"), but also have a character creation tab, option, or even external program. That way the player would have a choice between pre-selected characters or one that fits their personality. Random quests certainly should be an important aspect in custom and set characters because I think they just add a little more realism to the game. When I say RANDOM I mean we cant take the AOP2 approach where the "random quests" are given by the same person every time and are the same every time. There should be a bunch of quests under file but they should be randomized for random people. I know its confusing but it wont be as diverse as everybody wants it to be. Being an ex-endorser for Corsairs 4 (as we cant count on that coming out any time soon) I want this game to be as interesting and diverse as possible! :)

i like random quest, it add a lot of replayability,
, sadly making a real random quest is not easy. i really like to see your ideas.
[/QUOTE]

That is not this hard to make but it need a lot of patience and many test.......

First we build lot of PNJ and give them their own personality and a start dialogue...Each must have its own file dialogs and be independent of other...

After those build ,fonctionnal and tested 3 times,we add branch and interactions like a spider web.Every body working on it must know what the others do because many thing must be take in consideration....Teamwork and communication !

That not the type of game we see too often and there is a reason....But we are the best yes or no ?
Communication is the main challenge but I'am in for challenge !

Perhaps we could take the approach of SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) and have a quest system in place with a main storyline for each character which is unique entirely. Then side quests specific to your character, obviously not necessary but would enable you to enhance your game experience. Finally, optional quests that are available to all characters regardless and have the same outcomes and goals: less complex quests i.e winning a duel (a set event).

I feel i can contribute more now due to amplifcars success with the mod and enabling me to play again!

That is what I do on the AckMod.Two main quest + the originals quest + a no quest option where the gameplay is a little different and harder + optional quest to add variety...

On Aop2 what is break me is that I need more locations because we can't use the same emplacement for two quest without risk to have conflics....Or it need to be very careful........

Back