• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character models and textures

Edit: I think the default setting for the period whenever there's not a specific war set leaves Spain and Britain at war anyway, as seems to be true for every periodxD. After all there's a (completely apocryphal and rather in poor taste) quote attributed to Blas de Lezo himself saying that "every good Spaniard's duty is to always piss facing England" (of course it's apocryphal because, as the good sailor he was, he should know you always piss facing leeward, and considerig the prevailing winds in the Bay of Biscay where he hailed from, facing England would end more often tan not with you showered in your own urine).
That is my understanding as well. Default relations unless modified by "Periods.c" or "StartStoryline.c" are Britain, Portugal and Holland allied; France and Spain allied; and the two blocs at war with each other. The main effect of adding the War of Jenkins' Ear in "StartStoryline.c" would be to make France neutral for a couple of years because the real world default is that everyone is at peace, and France chose to stay out of this war.

A for the custom start location, I managed to get him to appear in Cartagena, but the storyline selection screen still says San Juan. It would be nice to be able to change it.
carrera.jpg blas_english.jpg
Standard Spanish naval officers such as Carrera de la Vega still spawn at San Juan. Blas de Lezo now spawns at Cartagena. Download this version of "PROGRAM\INTERFACE\select_storyline.c".

You made a slight change to the storyline text in "initModels.c", removing a comma. The attached version of "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\storyline_strings.txt" is edited to match, and also includes storyline lines for a couple of @Jacob's characters - could you translate those into the Spanish version of the file, please? (The file also includes the name of Blas de Lezo's ship; that has to be included for the benefit of our Russian friends, who will need to be able to translate everything using the Cyrillic alphabet.)

You might want to change Blas de Lezo's starting date to early 1740. I'd forgotten that 1739 is the last year of the "Golden Age of Piracy" period, which means he'll be flying the Burgundy cross naval ensign instead of the Bourbon ensign. The game does not change period when the year changes to 1740, partly because it would be a nightmare to code and partly because it would look silly when every soldier in the archipelago suddenly gets a new uniform at 00:00 of 1st January 1740.

Attachments

• select_storyline.c
    131.4 KB · Views: 96
  • storyline_strings.txt
    30.9 KB · Views: 109
Yeah, I was about to change it to 1740 for that same reason, but I forgot.

This includes the 1740 starting date, and the storyline strings for the new characters

Attachments

• Blas de Lezo.zip
    2 MB · Views: 91
@Homo eructus: can we delete this line from Blas de Lezo's definition in "initModels.c"?
Code:
AssignModelTypeNation(isstart, model, "navy", 1.0, SPAIN);
That makes the model a generic naval officer who can be used whenever a naval officer is created by the game. And so, while playing the "Hoist the Colours" storyline:
blas_captured2.jpg
Spain had chosen to put this clone of Blas de Lezo in command of a mere Espadina gunship. Faced with the Black Pearl, he wisely surrendered, and he is now one of my prize crew captains. :rpirate

@Homo eructus: can we delete this line from Blas de Lezo's definition in "initModels.c"?
Code:
AssignModelTypeNation(isstart, model, "navy", 1.0, SPAIN);
That makes the model a generic naval officer who can be used whenever a naval officer is created by the game. And so, while playing the "Hoist the Colours" storyline:
View attachment 39723
Spain had chosen to put this clone of Blas de Lezo in command of a mere Espadina gunship. Faced with the Black Pearl, he wisely surrendered, and he is now one of my prize crew captains. :rpirate
Yep, feel free to delete it. I probably copied the whole thing from another character not knowing what it did.

Back