• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character models and textures

I've changed the cuirass because I realised there is already a variant of Corsair3 with a cuirass that fits the model better then the one I took from a different model. It comes with an extra sash, which means I probably could do with removing the other sash, but I like it a s a nod to the original painting
upload_2021-9-16_22-54-8.png

I've changed the cuirass because I realised there is already a variant of Corsair3 with a cuirass that fits the model better then the one I took from a different model. It comes with an extra sash, which means I probably could do with removing the other sash, but I like it a s a nod to the original painting
View attachment 39439
I'd recommend leaving out the cuirass for the basic model. You could then do the same as I did for the original "Corsair3", which is make additional models with "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" added, using different cuirasses. That way, anyone playing the character will get the correct cuirass depending on which armour he's wearing in the game.

I'd recommend leaving out the cuirass for the basic model. You could then do the same as I did for the original "Corsair3", which is make additional models with "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" added, using different cuirasses. That way, anyone playing the character will get the correct cuirass depending on which armour he's wearing in the game.
It's a bit late for that, I'm afraid. I'd have to redo most of the texture. I really should have saved a .pdn with all the separate layers.

I went and did it anyway
upload_2021-9-17_15-40-2.pngupload_2021-9-17_15-40-59.pngupload_2021-9-17_15-40-22.pngupload_2021-9-17_15-41-27.png

I know roughly how to get the character ingame, but how do you configure it so the model changes according to equipped armour?

I went and did it anyway
View attachment 39444View attachment 39446View attachment 39445View attachment 39447

I know roughly how to get the character ingame, but how do you configure it so the model changes according to equipped armour?
You don't need to configure anything. The game does it automatically when a character equips metal armour. If a character is using "BlasDeLezo.gm", for example, and equips cheap armour, the game checks if "BlasDeLezo_A1.gm" exists and if so, changes the character to use it. Likewise, it will check for "BlasDeLezo_A2.gm" if the character equips battle armour, and for "BlasDeLezo_A3.gm" if he equips gold armour.

That's all I did for the various character models for the "Ardent" storyline - made versions of the basic texture files with armour added, used them to make "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" variants, and let the game take care of applying those variants when the characters use armour.

You don't need to configure anything. The game does it automatically when a character equips metal armour. If a character is using "BlasDeLezo.gm", for example, and equips cheap armour, the game checks if "BlasDeLezo_A1.gm" exists and if so, changes the character to use it. Likewise, it will check for "BlasDeLezo_A2.gm" if the character equips battle armour, and for "BlasDeLezo_A3.gm" if he equips gold armour.

That's all I did for the various character models for the "Ardent" storyline - made versions of the basic texture files with armour added, used them to make "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" variants, and let the game take care of applying those variants when the characters use armour.
Is there a limit to variants?

Is there a limit to variants?
Any character model can have "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" variants. Only those three are checked, for common, battle and gold armour respectively - there's no provision for leather armour. Some models, such as "capstan", don't show armour as such, because the textures for "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3" show added sword belt, jacket and headband respectively, to make him look tougher.

Only the main model is checked and replaced. Talking heads used for animations still use the base model regardless of whether "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" versions exist.

@Athanasius once produced a whole load of armoured textures, though he didn't name them by model. I used some of them for various purposes. Here's the thread about it:
Cuirass Pack

Any character model can have "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" variants. Only those three are checked, for common, battle and gold armour respectively - there's no provision for leather armour. Some models, such as "capstan", don't show armour as such, because the textures for "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3" show added sword belt, jacket and headband respectively, to make him look tougher.

Only the main model is checked and replaced. Talking heads used for animations still use the base model regardless of whether "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" versions exist.

@Athanasius once produced a whole load of armoured textures, though he didn't name them by model. I used some of them for various purposes. Here's the thread about it:
Cuirass Pack
True....I need to catch up again.
Incidentally Capstan was my first texture modding project before I knew how to do armor or any modelling.

I'm sorry that I'll butt in into this discussion but I also have question.

Is it possible to mix two characters with diffrent details

for example:

I want to create a Beatrice with horns.
I know the horns exists already in devil.gm file but when I try to mix them together, there's a lot problems.

Please can someone give me a good advice about this?

I'm sorry that I'll butt in into this discussion but I also have question.

Is it possible to mix two characters with diffrent details

for example:

I know the horns exists already in devil.gm file but when I try to mix them together, there's a lot problems.

Please can someone give me a good advice about this?
I think only using a modelling program, to do it properly, Maya or blender.
Tool can be used if the parts are already seperated.

I put a start date of 1741 for the character but I'd like it not to be locked. How do I make it so you can change the date?
This is what I got
Code:
    model.description =  "A Spanish Admiral bearing with pride the scars of many battles.";
    model.id       =  "spa_Lezo";
    model.FaceId    = 608;
    model.nation      =  SPAIN;
    model.price       =  9500;
    model.minlevel     =  8;
    model.minrank    =  10;
    model.assigned    =  true;
    model.name = "Blas";
    model.lastname = "de Lezo";
    model.storytitle = "The Defender of Cartagena";
    model.storytext = "Blas de Lezo started his naval career in 1701 at age twelve, serving France and Spain during the War of Spanish Succession. Never afraid to be under fire, by 1714, he had lost a leg, an eye, and the use of an arm, scars he wore as badges of honor. Despite his injuries he led a successful career and is now in command of the naval forces of Cartagena de Indias.";
    model.playertype = PLAYER_TYPE_NAVAL_OFFICER;
    model.Flags.Pirate = 23;
    model.Flags.Personal = 27;
    model.ship = "PO_Poseidon";
    model.shipname = "Fuerte";
    model.date.year = 1741;
    model.period = "" + PERIOD_GOLDEN_AGE_OF_PIRACY + PERIOD_COLONIAL_POWERS;
    AssignModelTypeNation(isstart, model, "navy", 1.0, SPAIN);
    AddCharacterModel(model);

Also I'd like for him to start in Cartgena instead of the default San Juan.

Also, for some reason the 128 portrait is not showing up. It worked in the old install I keep as testing grounds. Scratch that, I forgot to save pictures.ini

Also also, his rank 10 as admiral seems to be overwriting the starting ship I chose for him, not even keepng the name. Is there a way to determine his starting ship/fleet manually and have it stick?

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-18_12-45-54.png
    upload_2021-9-18_12-45-54.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • upload_2021-9-18_13-34-30.png
    upload_2021-9-18_13-34-30.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Yes. Because the devil.gm model is already a mixture of two models.

You can try this:
1) Open the devil.gm model with the Tool. Delete the body part. Save.
2) Place that new file in the Meshes folder of the Tool.

Now it's the question which Beatrice model you had in mind.
If it's Beatrise.gm things will be easier:
3) Open Beatrise.gm with the Tool. Delete the head part. Save.
4) Add the devils head to the headless part with the Tool.
5) Adjust size and position with the Tool.

If you were thinking of Beatrice, BeatriceA or BeatriceB.gm models it will be more difficult.
I tried to separate Beatrice.gm head and body but it didn't work.
The only thing I can think of is:
3) Make the Bea head invisible with a new texture file where the head texture is "alpha chanelled" away.
5) Adjust size and poistion with the Tool.

Or maybe you meant just the horns?
They can't be separated from the goat's head with the Tool.
2) Make the goat head invisible with a new alpha channel texture, leave the horns.
3) Place that new .gm model file in the Meshes folder of the Tool.
4) Add the devils horns to the the Beatrice model of your choice with the Tool.

2) Make the goat head invisible with a new alpha channel texture, leave the horns.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you @Jack Rackham

Now I need to understand the TOOL system and methods.

I give the model of Beatrice I wanted to modify.

It's mostly connected to the thread I wrought about undead monk and sailor.

Attachments

• Devillady (Beatrice Model).zip
    930.3 KB · Views: 89
To add something from the meshes folder:

Open the base model (devillady) with the Tool.
scene/edit scene
click on Devillady
click on the part you want to add in the left window
save

If you want to see what you're doing in the Tool you need to use .tga files placed in a folder.
And direct the Tool to it.
Either in the blue part above the big black window or in the VrmllExporter file in the Tool.

Attachments

• Tool meshes.jpg
    Tool meshes.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 112
Yes. Because the devil.gm model is already a mixture of two models.

You can try this:
2) Place that new file in the Meshes folder of the Tool.

Now it's the question which Beatrice model you had in mind.
If it's Beatrise.gm things will be easier:
3) Open Beatrise.gm with the Tool. Delete the head part. Save.

If you were thinking of Beatrice, BeatriceA or BeatriceB.gm models it will be more difficult.
I tried to separate Beatrice.gm head and body but it didn't work.
The only thing I can think of is:
3) Make the Bea head invisible with a new texture file where the head texture is "alpha chanelled" away.
5) Adjust size and poistion with the Tool.

That's what I was meaning that the horns can't be seperated with Tool.
Good idea alpha channeling the head , (that wasn't an option the last time I used Tool), leaving the horns and scaling them down to fit beatrices' head. That should work ok Jack.

Last edited:
Just thank Jack Rackham.....I was only agreeing with him. He's taught us both something today.

Back