• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character models and textures

SanDzash

Powder Monkey
Nobody has had the time yet to look into fixing this bug, so it's probably still in there.
What I would like to know is if this bug was ALWAYS in the game or if it was introduced by a mod update at some point.
I can download some of the earlier versions. There are some in downloads section, yes?
And, ehm, where I can get Maya? Because I want a big hat, and create a custom character after all (I know that I don't know what I'm getting myself into). To reduce the frustration level from all my cannonballs fired at that 6-grade frigate (which on the bottom of the sea, thankfully).
Or do I need something else for that? Saw that many people sayin it's the easiest option to edit models in PotC.

The easiest way to create a custom character is to start with an existing one and change the texture file. You don't need Maya for that, just Photoshop or any other picture-editing program capable of handling .tga files, plus a utility called TX Convertor which converts the .tga.tx files used by the game into standard .tga, and also converts the other way when you've finished editing the texture. Have a look at these:
Creating a new character model
Retexture a Gm-model

Well, I fixed that. Really was a stupid mistake in text. May I ask, will it be possible to switch between language in main menu options, if I'll create RUSSIAN folder like ENGLISH, that already exist. Because localization that I used before was just in ENGLISH folders (and when switching languge in main menu localization permanently crushed. Half of the buttons in main menu was blank and not only there). So, should I put russian translation files in RUSSIAN folders instead?
That should indeed be possible and I think @Homo eructus made that work for his Spanish version.
Have a look at the thread I linked to yesterday for discussion on how, or drop @Homo eructus a Private Message.

I can download some of the earlier versions. There are some in downloads section, yes?
Some older versions are here (Build 13 and older): Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: Build Mod 13 for Pirates of the Caribbean
And here (Build 14 development versions): Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean
An interesting test for starters would be to see if the problem already existed in Build 14 Beta 3.4 or Build 13.

And, ehm, where I can get Maya? Because I want a big hat, and create a custom character after all (I know that I don't know what I'm getting myself into). To reduce the frustration level from all my cannonballs fired at that 6-grade frigate (which on the bottom of the sea, thankfully).
Or do I need something else for that? Saw that many people sayin it's the easiest option to edit models in PotC.
"Easy" is a big word. From what I understand, it is quite difficult, but I think @DeathDaisy has some experience with it.
Alternatively, @Grey Roger's and @Jack Rackham's preferred method use the TOOL, which is probably simpler.

The easiest way to create a custom character is to start with an existing one and change the texture file. You don't need Maya for that, just Photoshop or any other picture-editing program capable of handling .tga files, plus a utility called TX Convertor which converts the .tga.tx files used by the game into standard .tga, and also converts the other way when you've finished editing the texture. Have a look at these:
Creating a new character model
Retexture a Gm-model
Already done all of this. I want not just retexture or new character preset. I want to be able mixing with models parts, like adding hat, some little details on clothes, change face, etc. And Inez Dias Tool, as I see, isn't enough. It just give me two parts when mixing models (head + body or body and head from second model)
Correct me if I'm wrong and didn't understand something

That should indeed be possible and I think @Homo eructus made that work for his Spanish version.
Have a look at the thread I linked to yesterday for discussion on how, or drop @Homo eructus a Private Message.
Yep, I definetely will read all of that. I remember) I'll start with getting couple of old translation files in right places and see what it brings.

Some older versions are here (Build 13 and older): Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: Build Mod 13 for Pirates of the Caribbean
And here (Build 14 development versions): Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean
An interesting test for starters would be to see if the problem already existed in Build 14 Beta 3.4 or Build 13.
Thx. I'll try both today/tomorrow and inform you about result

"Easy" is a big word. From what I understand, it is quite difficult, but I think @DeathDaisy has some experience with it.
Alternatively, @Grey Roger's and @Jack Rackham's preferred method use the TOOL, which is probably simpler.
Maybe I just didn't explore it well, but it seems it is unable to really mess with models, only to merge two and hope it will work as intended. Sorry if I'm making a fool out of myself because of superficiality)

Maybe I just didn't explore it well, but it seems it is unable to really mess with models, only to merge two and hope it will work as intended. Sorry if I'm making a fool out of myself because of superficiality)
It is also possible to add details to existing models, but @Jack Rackham is the expert on doing that.
This tutorial of his might help you: Switch heads & add parts with the TOOL :doff

It is also possible to add details to existing models, but @Jack Rackham is the expert on doing that.
This tutorial of his might help you: Switch heads & add parts with the TOOL :doff
Hmm. I've started to follow that tutorial already, but info about adding details is quite low, and I didn't understood how to get those little details separately from the model they were part of. Will read and explore this much more carefully, I definetely underestimate the tool.

Already done all of this. I want not just retexture or new character preset. I want to be able mixing with models parts, like adding hat, some little details on clothes, change face, etc. And Inez Dias Tool, as I see, isn't enough. It just give me two parts when mixing models (head + body or body and head from second model)
Correct me if I'm wrong and didn't understand something
Adding details to clothes and changing the face can certainly be done just by retexturing. As an example, most of the female models wearing trousers are nothing more than the original "Danielle" with new textures. Or, on the left is Jack Sparrow in uniform, on the right is Lieutenant Sharpe of the 95th Rifles - same model, different textures.
sparrow.jpg sharpe.jpg

What I can say is that texturing a composite model - a model made from several parts - is harder than texturing a simple model, because you need to get the textures of the various parts to match up so that there is no visible seam between the parts on the finished model. And the models can distort the textures so that what you see in the texture file may not be quite what you see on the model. So I strongly suggest trying some basic retexturing before trying your luck with mixing parts.

I made a tutorial about switching heads. It also shows a little of what can be done. But far from all 3D elemnts can
be added to a character model. Sometimes it can help by first saving the addition as VRML and again as gm.

Here's an example of 1 switched head, 4 added meshes and 5 retextures.

Howard Pyle.jpg

Adding details to clothes and changing the face can certainly be done just by retexturing. As an example, most of the female models wearing trousers are nothing more than the original "Danielle" with new textures. Or, on the left is Jack Sparrow in uniform, on the right is Lieutenant Sharpe of the 95th Rifles - same model, different textures.
View attachment 32070 View attachment 32071

What I can say is that texturing a composite model - a model made from several parts - is harder than texturing a simple model, because you need to get the textures of the various parts to match up so that there is no visible seam between the parts on the finished model. And the models can distort the textures so that what you see in the texture file may not be quite what you see on the model. So I strongly suggest trying some basic retexturing before trying your luck with mixing parts.
I see. But I am very bad painter, so retexturing may be even harder for me) High level retexturing, I mean. Changing colours and so on not a problem.
Also, I want to add hat, and basically they are attached to the head (lol)
And I am not really familiar with 3d editors, but couple of times used them for Skyrim modding. So, no disaster quite possible.

I made a tutorial about switching heads. It also shows a little of what can be done. But far from all 3D elemnts can
be added to a character model. Sometimes it can help by first saving the addition as VRML and again as gm.

Here's an example of 1 switched head, 4 added meshes and 5 retextures.
Yeah, saw that. Quite impressive. I'll stick to your guide by now then. For now still don't understand how I can take some parts from model (like feather or bag on your picture) and make a mesh. But I am in process)

-

BTW, very informative answers. NH community is something opposite to Dota community, if you know what I mean)

Yeah, saw that. Quite impressive. I'll stick to your guide by now then. For now still don't understand how I can take some parts from model (like feather or bag on your picture) and make a mesh. But I am in process)
@Jack Rackham, don't you have a collection of already separate additional models you use to improve your characters?
Maybe there is already a usable hat in there?

BTW, very informative answers. NH community is something opposite to Dota community, if you know what I mean)
I'm not familiar with Dota, but I'm glad you appreciate it here. :doff

Cool! Than I'll perhaps finish my translation first and get all the glory

P.S. No offence, just simple greed)
:rofl :rofl

@Jack Rackham, don't you have a collection of already separate additional models you use to improve your characters?
Maybe there is already a usable hat in there?

I'm not familiar with Dota, but I'm glad you appreciate it here. :doff
Rochefort one or something like that would be cool. *saluted and sail to old build version installers* And a feather. And a belt. And golden buttons.

Jack Rackham
Would be very grateful) BTW, in my last Sid Meier's Pirates walkthrough u were the last to kill. That means something

I see. But I am very bad painter, so retexturing may be even harder for me) High level retexturing, I mean. Changing colours and so on not a problem.
You can get some good results just doing that - changing colours, copying textures from one model to another, copying from photos. That's pretty well all I do. :cheeky On the left, "Huber_Por_17". Copy the jacket from another model, change its colour, also change the colour of the trousers. Copy a red sash from somewhere, and for good measure paste it again and rotate it to make a second, diagonal sash. Copy the facial features from a picture and change the skin colour to match. Add a medal copied from a picture. And on the right we have Don Julian Alvarado, alias El Supremo.
huber_por_17.jpg el_supremo.jpg

I'm not good at drawing either. Designing a whole new outfit is beyond me. Copying, pasting, reshaping and colour-changing - that I can do!

I forgot, this is one of the few (if not the only) hats that can be cut out from a model without the
head.

Attachments

• hat.7z
    3 KB · Views: 222
There's a character model called Skull.gm.
Open it with the TOOL.
Scen. Edit Scene. Press the + at Skull:

Now you have 5 parts. Check which is which, Here's another tricorn you can
take by deleting the other 4 parts and save.
Also at least 1 pistol looks ok.

You can get some good results just doing that - changing colours, copying textures from one model to another, copying from photos. That's pretty well all I do. :cheeky On the left, "Huber_Por_17". Copy the jacket from another model, change its colour, also change the colour of the trousers. Copy a red sash from somewhere, and for good measure paste it again and rotate it to make a second, diagonal sash. Copy the facial features from a picture and change the skin colour to match. Add a medal copied from a picture. And on the right we have Don Julian Alvarado, alias El Supremo.
View attachment 32080 View attachment 32079

I'm not good at drawing either. Designing a whole new outfit is beyond me. Copying, pasting, reshaping and colour-changing - that I can do!
Nice one) I'm currently in progress. The only really difficult thing is faces. But, if so needed, I can take one from texture and edit face texture section alone (then attach to texture file)

There's a character model called Skull.gm.
Open it with the TOOL.
Scen. Edit Scene. Press the + at Skull:

Now you have 5 parts. Check which is which, Here's another tricorn you can
take by deleting the other 4 parts and save.
Also at least 1 pistol looks ok.
Wow. I could sail under your flag and give you 10% of my loot, if you don't mind)

Couple of questions still.
In Tool interface I see that tricorn is empty on top (so I can see top of model head). It won't happen ingame or it's the reason why not so many characters with hats?)
And how can I change the color of sash?
If I try to save model after adding feather Tool give me error and broken file (cannot open)

Last edited:
The color of the sash is made by retexturing. I have made a tutorial for that too.

The head can show through the hat you mean. If that's the case you can retexture a part
of the hair in the hat color to hide it. In the picture one of Howard Pyle's heads has a
red bandana. Most of it is retextured black.

Which model is it you are trying to add the feather to? I could try to see if it's possible.

Attachments

• head through hat.jpg
    head through hat.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 392
The color of the sash is made by retexturing. I have made a tutorial for that too.

The head can show through the hat you mean. If that's the case you can retexture a part
of the hair in the hat color to hide it. In the picture one of Howard Pyle's heads has a
red bandana. Most of it is retextured black.

Which model is it you are trying to add the feather to? I could try to see if it's possible.
Wrong formulation by me. I mean, which texture I must edit. But I suppose firsly I'll finish your guide and than ask anything else)
It was just a bug, now it looks ok. The head could be seen through the hat not because I placed it too low, it's because the top of hat (if I look on it upside down) was transparent a couple of times. That is what confused me.

Actually, I checked and it gives me error with any Danielle based model. No problem with standard male models though

Back