• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Choosing POTC for future mods rather than AOP2...?

MatthewThePirate

EccentricMatthew
Hi so, I was wondering since im new here, is why you have chosen POTC over AOP2 for your mods? since AOP2 is the most recent I would have assumed you would have used that, as your GOF mod is amazing, though I found new horizons to be better which made me think when I was playing, I wonder why they didn't make new horizons for AOP2 instead? and of course your latest project will be for POTC also or so I hear. Is POTC easier to mod? better stability? or is it just overall better?

personally I found AOP2 better than POTC with no mods that is, but with the mods it seems POTC wins, though I feel AOP2 has more content such as faction quests/other missions and so on, though POTC has a stronger main quest and the maps seem to have more variation.

what would you say the pros and cons of each are? including mods GOF vs new horizons?

(p.s I did look on the site for this type of subject existing, though the links I found said the pages didn't exist anymore, so I thought I would make this post)

We haven't chosen PotC exclusively; there are separate teams working on each game. NH should actually be nearing its completion, although I doubt that work on it will ever truly stop.

As for the apparent preference for PotC, We've simply been modding it for longer, since before CoAS came out. Our modders have more experience with PotC, and we've been accumulating improvements for a long time now. CoAS does have a few physics anomalies as well that are annoying enough to be an issue for many players. (Jerky ships bug)

...why they didn't make new horizons for AOP2 instead? and of course your latest project will be for POTC also or so I hear. Is POTC easier to mod? better stability? or is it just overall better?
Very simply because New Horizons is the old PotC Build Mod and has been in development since 2003. CoAS came out in 2009, by which time we had already got a pretty substantial modpack for PotC.
So rather than giving up on our PotC modding, we continued.

Also for all its advances, the new particle system used in the later games isn't very mod friendly, which for me is a huge deal.

When COAS came out we had hoped to try and transfer New Horizons to it ( since its better map of the Caribbean - would have been a big plus ) - but unfortunately we just have never had enough people with the programming skills or the time to do it.

So it never happened.:(

:pirates

Now that development on POTC is slowing down, people are moving to COAS. The results of their work has not started to show yet. I for one am looking forward to moving to COAS.

Now that development on POTC is slowing down, people are moving to COAS. The results of their work has not started to show yet. I for one am looking forward to moving to COAS.
I thought it was only MK and Luke159 working on CoAS mods right now, and they weren't even working on PotC to begin with. I haven't really seen any PotC modders jumping ship just yet.

From what I can tell, development is pretty much dead slow on BOTH games. And I don't think we can make PotC modding last much longer.
I may be able to make a Build 14 Beta 2.4 Light installer before the end of April. But I'd be well surprised if we ever get beyond Beta 2.5 on my next leave.
The way it is looking now to me, PotC modding will end before the year is over. If that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate. :shrug

The way it is looking now to me, PotC modding will end before the year is over. If that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate. :shrug
Well hopefully by that point, Hearts of Oak will have materialised into something workable, so former modders may want to join in with that game's development.
Even if modding does end to some extent, look on the bright side... it's been going on for ten years! Not half bad, if you ask me. :shock

Well hopefully by that point, Hearts of Oak will have materialised into something workable, so former modders may want to join in with that game's development.
I most certainly hope so. :doff

Even if modding does end to some extent, look on the bright side... it's been going on for ten years! Not half bad, if you ask me. :shock
True, that. We've had a good run. :yes

From what I can tell, development is pretty much dead slow on BOTH games. And I don't think we can make PotC modding last much longer.
I may be able to make a Build 14 Beta 2.4 Light installer before the end of April. But I'd be well surprised if we ever get beyond Beta 2.5 on my next leave.
In my case, I want to finish this year the Bartolomeu and Assassin Quests. At least, I'm motivated for that.

And I suddenly find myself with possibly a bit more non-work time than I had originally anticipated. We'll see...

Back