• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Christmas Ship Pack

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
As you may have noticed from my recent posts, I have compiled a ship pack just for Christmas! :woot
This contains all of pgargon's ships which weren't fixed in time for Patch 5, plus many other adjustments.

You can get the download here. It will eventually be on ModDB, but I'm waiting until some more content is finished and release-able, to add to the pack.

Here is the full feature list:

New ship models (by pgargon):
  • HMS Endeavour
  • HMS Dauntless
  • US Victory version
  • French Victory version
Improved and fixed ship models (by pgargon):
  • HMS Victory
  • Le Superbe
  • Hannah
  • Pirate Hannah version
  • HMS Speedy
Modified ship models (by EC):
  • US_Enterprise- deck, masts and yards re-textured
  • US_Schooner47- masts and yards re-textured
  • US_SloopofWar47- [ditto]
  • US_HeavyFrigate- deck, masts and yards re-textured + re-rigged
  • US_HeavyWarship- [ditto]
  • RN_Heavy_Frigate- yards re-textured + re-rigged
  • HeavyWarship- [ditto]
Extras:
  • Latest version of the Interface Screenshots Mod included (by EC, Pieter Boelen and miklkit)
  • Fix for Speightstown dungeon to remove all water (by Pieter Boelen)
  • Brothel dialogue updates to lower the sexual tone (by EC and [who else?])
As usual, please let me know if I've missed anything or of any problems.
Merry Christmas to you all! :xmas :drunk

Please note: I realise many of you were also expecting the new Surprise and Poseidon models at some point, and I apologise for their exclusion from this pack.
It was simply too much to get them both ready in time; they both need walk patches making, plus various other fixes before they're release-worthy.
Again, I'm very sorry for the further delays, but the ships will be ready soon. ;)

UPDATE: Installation instructions:
  1. Extract the files to your main game folder (e.g. Games/Pirates of the Caribbean)
  2. Start the game, load a recent save, and press F11 to make the code changes take effect.
  3. Have fun! :cheeky

You are a man of your word. :bow

Thank you very much and have a very merry Christmas. :cheers

Ya made the brothels LESS sexy? :facepalm Have you ever watched an old Mae West movie? She never took her clothes off and still made John Wayne blush. :))

Shipboard internet is weird. It's slow and intermittent, hasn't been working for me for three days straight and I got the file in 15 minutes. :wacko:

You did a glorious job, mate; this is GREAT!

A couple of tiny comments:
- HMS Victory, US Victory and FR Victory all use the same texture for the forward bulkhead; not sure if that matches up nicely.
- The Endeavour and Dauntless walk files are exactly the same, so the Dauntless can be made to use the Endeavour's file (I already did that).
- I had to make FR Victory use desk.tga because the file she currently uses is one I had removed from my game because it's a copy of... something.
Don't remember which one though. :facepalm
- See attached for some little changes of mine to code files; use what you need. :doff
- Am I correct in saying that the Dauntless and Endeavour are the same model?
Doesn't matter if they are; they're great either way and their textures set them apart very nicely. Just wondering...

And just for fun, see attached for a picture of the HMS Interceptor in port together with the NEW HMS Dauntless! :dance

Not a bad ship lineup. Too bad about the surprise and posideon though but hey. Better delayed than glitchy I say. You said it yourself earlier that they might be delayed so no worries. I rather my re-uniting with the posideon be a quality job than a sloppy rush job. Launch her only when ready mate. :onya

You are a man of your word. :bow
I do try. ;)

Ya made the brothels LESS sexy? :facepalm Have you ever watched an old Mae West movie? She never took her clothes off and still made John Wayne blush. :))
Oh, I didn't re-write it. Pieter gave me the new files in a recent pack of fixes, and I just corrected the spelling and grammar (while keeping it piratey, of course!)
So who did re-write it? Credit goes to them, not me entirely.

Shipboard internet is weird. It's slow and intermittent, hasn't been working for me for three days straight and I got the file in 15 minutes. :wacko:
Wow... that saves me another job, then! :blink:

- HMS Victory, US Victory and FR Victory all use the same texture for the forward bulkhead; not sure if that matches up nicely.
Well if someone can re-texture that part to accurately fit the colour schemes, they'd be welcome to. :yes

- The Endeavour and Dauntless walk files are exactly the same, so the Dauntless can be made to use the Endeavour's file (I already did that).
- Am I correct in saying that the Dauntless and Endeavour are the same model?
Are the walk files really the same...? I thought they were different due to the Endeavour's extra cannons...

- I had to make FR Victory use desk.tga because the file she currently uses is one I had removed from my game because it's a copy of... something.
Don't remember which one though. :facepalm
Could you please find out which one, then? It's basically a dark brown deck texture, which I think better suits that ship than the clean one of the Victory.
And if anyone else finds any missing textures, please tell me ASAP so I can provide them. It's quite easy to miss these things, you know! :facepalm

And just for fun, see attached for a picture of the HMS Interceptor in port together with the NEW HMS Dauntless! :dance
Nice! Though it seems the Dauntless is a little high out of the water, but maybe that's accurate if she's low on cargo, perhaps. :wp
And you've just reminded me: I forgot to include an improved Interceptor (nothing special, just black yards to match the film ship and white sails by default).
I'll upload that one soon.

That texture was missing because I removed it myself; don't have time to check why I removed it at this time...

The Dauntless DOES seem high out of the water; maybe she needs changing her waterline value?

The walk files really ARE 100% the same; I checked with WinMerge.

That texture was missing because I removed it myself; don't have time to check why I removed it at this time...
Understandable. Either I can try to find an alternative, or I can give you the missing texture- your choice. :shrug

The Dauntless DOES seem high out of the water; maybe she needs changing her waterline value?
Easily done, I'll take a look at it. It's the same for all Victory variants.

The walk files really ARE 100% the same; I checked with WinMerge.
Interesting. That means one of the two ships will have extra/less guns being loaded in battle. :wacko:

Quick question: does the 'refShip.all' line in ships_init.c affect the BI tex and pic values?
If so, I can't remove the out-commented ones like you did in your version. If not, then it doesn't matter. :onya

refShip.all doesn't override the texture code; it just ensures that some attributes that need to be copied are still copied.
It should be good without those lines outcommented; I haven't yet found any issues using my copy of the file. :no

Bummer. :sad The only difference between the old shipyard and the new one is that the ship pictures were increased from 128X128 to 256X256. Plus there are now some 233 pictures. :shock: And ships...... :sail

So, it could be a bad download, a bad install, or your computer doesn't have enough memory or hard disk space. But if you can run the game ok, your puter is probably good enough. I've been using this for nigh on two months now with no issues. So..check and see if it installed correctly. Sometimes one of the folders doesn't merge but installs outside of the folder it's supposed to merge with. :modding That has happened to me. :j3

its weird because it only lags in the repair menu but its fine if i go to the ship painting menu.
and i re downloaded and that didn't help.

I wonder if your computer doesn't like the amount of different pictures and files it now has to display and read from.
Can you open PROGRAM\globals.c, go to the bottom of the file and find:
Code:
int DEBUG = 				0;
Replace it with:
Code:
int DEBUG = 				1;
Now start a new game, go to any shipyard and go into the Repaint menu.
If the problem really is what I think, you should now have worse lag there than ever.
Can you confirm that?

Oh dear. This could be a real downside for lower-performance PCs. :facepalm
Perhaps we'll need to issue a warning with the next ship pack, concerning potential lag in the shipyard interface?

Just out of interest, what are your PC specs? :?

Interesting. You've got pretty much the same processor and RAM as me, but I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card.
Yet, despite having a nearly full hard drive, I get no lag in the shipyard interface. :wacko:

It's probably your video card. I went to Newegg and read some reviews. The X1300 gives a windows experience index of 2.5 - 2.8. A 4650 can get into the 3.5 - 3.9 range. Here is a link to some under $100usd.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030349%204027&IsNodeId=1&name=%2475%20-%20%24100

Maybe we can change the code a bit so you can enable/disable the new interface screenshots?

Back