• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Commanding Large Ships?

agentad

Privateer
Storm Modder
well now i want to start more roleplay and want to seriously play the realism mode (im a huge arcade player cause some things in realism really make me bored)

i started so to play in realism and feel good at the moment (just a bit boring to get ALWAYS wind in face during like an entire day, and no fast travel...)

but about the class our char can command, how it works ? i see on char screen a ship with a number near, is that the max class he can command ? how to make it 1 ?

im REALLY bored that i cant sail the ships i want especially the FR_couronne... even when boarding i get sometime REALLY big ships but i just cant take because it says it will make bad points...

why cant i take any ships ?

i even tested to start with enough items to get 10 leadership but seems not working on ship class, i also tried to grow level to 20 but still stuck at "class 5" (yes now i started to fully play with auto-skill system)

thats the real only bad point... i want to command any ships !

edit: i read elsewhere we need leadership tied to sailing skill ? need 9 of each ? herm, i will unlock more items at start i think x)

That is correct. The game compares the Leadership and Sailing skill and takes the smaller of the two, then uses that to calculate your ship class.
For class 1 ships, you need Leadership at 9 and Sailing at 9.

Yes, expect the head wind to last 1-3 days before it gives up and lets you sail on in to port. Once you reach that port you can fast travel to it the next time and avoid the evil wind.

I wonder if we cannot update the weather system a bit further some time. For example, have the game generate a storm with worldmap coordinates.
Then the wind strength can be calculated based on your distance to that storm and the wind direction based on where that storm is in relation to yourself.
When there aren't any storms, perhaps we can convince the wind direction to be based on the actual trade winds.

Wondering even further, since we can influence the forward speed of a ship independent of the wind, perhaps we can do the same with the sideways speed too.
You know where that could be going? Ocean currents! Not sure how to work with a database of current vectors in the PotC game code though.
I have done that professionally though with a programming language that was pretty similar to PotC.

I can't afford to start on any of the above any time soon, but what do people think about the concept? Could it be worthwhile? Or not so much?

Most anything is better than now. No matter what direction you approach an island from you will most likely be fighting a head wind. For most islands this is only time consuming, but in the standard storyline when approaching Bridgetown on Barbados it means you will have to fight the blockade fleet most every time. And with the reduced fort cannon range you get no help there.

There is some code to set the Next Wind for storyline purposes. This is used to prevent the escape from Bridgetown with the captured (former) corvette from being impossible if you are unlucky.
This wouldn't work so well when approaching an island though. :facepalm

There isn't actually any code in place to deliberately put the wind from dead ahead all the time; that's... weird.
Sounds like some proper amount of bad luck. :8q

And with the reduced fort cannon range you get no help there.
Now you mention that, does that seem to have decreased the amount of "fort wasting ammunition on rocks" problem?
Personally, I have still seen both forts and ships happily firing on the rocks if there is a target somewhere far behind it. :(

i could say that i regulary fight against head wind but i get aswell "back wind" or "side wind" which help enough good too

the random aspect just make players unlucky some times :p

about fort i see less now the cannons firing at rocks, and more strategy to get their help (need to be closer), thats logical, forts must not help when oyu are too far, even in far sight :)

i really like it more :D

So decreasing the fort cannon range by 50% is good? No need to decrease it more/less?

at the moment here is my feeling:

=> increasing fort range is NOT a good idea, it feels more realistic and playable (in old version i was sometime sniped by forts, sometime they sniped ships that i was fighting, so no skill won...

=> decreasing fort range is POSSIBLE IF other players ask for it

to conclude i think the range is perfect for my gaming experience

it fires a little more range than a "regular" naval battle and so forts protect ONLY their area, it does not snipe anything near the island, so we do not notice fire at rocks that much now (happens only in really close areas but still better than before)

realistic mode is like forcing what i regulary do already in arcade mode (like not using much fast travel or skills needed for ships), but the impact of the wind and the reload while fighting in arcade mode are missed for me, its less realistic but better for much roleplays i go back to arcade mode, i will reactivate the manual skill system which i still like the most (especially for my officers) :D

globally forts must not be changed more for me, and realistic/iron man modes are really awesome but not for my full gaming experience at the moment ;)

time to continue sailing ! and hunt the pirates ! arrrrr ! my water will replace the rum and other alcohol !

We'll keep the fort range as-is then, unless anyone else pitches in.

As for the realism modes, could you describe your personal preferred set of options? What do you like in Realistic and what not?
In PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h, we've got these toggles:
Code:
// ======================================
// REALISM OPTIONS:
// ======================================
// Included in Realistic Game Mode:
#define NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT    0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Items required for certain navigational information to become available
// Included in Iron Man Mode:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD            0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED        0                // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED            0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED        0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES        0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding disabled
#define ITEM_REALISM            0                // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)
We could add some more so you can make Arcade Game Mode closer to Realistic, without going all the way.
Ideally, we want everybody to be able to tweak things exactly like they want it.

here is what i think:

>arcade mode<

(LIKE)

- reloading while fighting (reason later in post)
- free fast travel (mostly to manage faster some sea wind and sometime some details i want to do really fast, i like to have all fast travel always unlocked to check too all the buildings i can go in each city (of course opium den still not in fast travel, apothecary too but they are unique so no prob))
- sea inertia, more "arcade moving" but still not destroying realism and can make really awesome roleplays without taking wind that much in mind
- no skill need for ships
- all data unlocked

>realism mode<

(LIKE)
- sea inertia EXEPT that wind blocks you and make you using a longer travel with 50% chance mostly (totally random still)

(DISLIKE)
- sea wind causing sea inertia not that good
- skill need for ship
- data depending on items
- must discover for fast travel
- NOT reloading while fighting, at first it is good and full of roleplay, but being in a 25 vs 25 and using only 1 bullet on 24 each deck is a bit useless (and i dont want to wait 30 sec (musket example) on a side and not helping friends), a good example too: the mercenary pistol has 4 charges, and reloading is 25sec, 4x25= 100 sec to wait to be fully loaded, lot of other game made the system good, but POTC is not made for that, its an old game, and AI do not take time to reload, i want them to use regulary guns (im not talking about the shotgun with his 2sec reloading 2 charges (description still saying 3 charegs but anyway i will translate in french) :) )

most of the things i dont like is that im OBLIGED to do somethings, the best example is fast travel: i dont use it much but i like to just check in the menu all the choices i can have so i know what i search manually (i use it like a recipe of the locatiosn of the city im visiting :D )

here is explained why im more arcade gamer but not that bad in realism :) (the famous darthmod for empire/napoleon total war make a sea inertia as POTC realism mode with a bit of arcade way when wind face ships, thats why i switch sometime to realism mode in POTC :D )

if there is something not clear just ask :p

So basically the ONLY thing you would want to have added to Arcade Game Mode is the inertia of the ships?
You sure? The ships handling is rather exaggerated with those Realistic values in use in Arcade Mode... :8q

well i like both inertia, realistic one is for sure and of course the best (depends much on my head wind luck ;) )

so yea having arcade mode with realism mode sea inertia will be probably the best for me ! (as you saw in previous post)

and OH a last thing i love too in ARCADE MODE and not in realism: your char icon is red when an enemy is in area (random encounter) AND if your char icon is red you CANT fast travel (you know you are in danger but not WHO will attack, and you are obliged to pass :D ) in realism you can sometime fast travel and no surprise happens :p (even when not having enemies in area, im a bit stressed when i see enemy patrols or even raids :D )

Seems like it really IS Arcade Mode for you! :cheeky
The whole idea with that missing flashing danger icon is that you DON'T know you'll be attacked. Until someone draws his blade.
And then you have to react quickly! So I always figure that ADDS to the surprise, not detracts from it.
When I know there are enemies near, I draw my blade in advance and anyone that runs at me is cut down very quickly.

As for inertia, try this. Open PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c find ALL instances of:
Code:
if(iRealismMode>0){
Replace with:
Code:
if(true){
Start a new game and try the ships' handling now.
Is that what you want? Or not so much? o_O

What do you mean with "sea"? The code I showed you is for the inertia stuff as per the Willemstad Builders' Trials.

inertia doesnt act anywhere else ? every inertia setting is handled by ships_init.c ? (just to be sure for example wind is not in another file ?)

The wind effect is elsewhere. This is purely the ship's inertia-based handling.

ok then i will test it (tomorrow, 12:12 PM here :p ) im a bit curious how it will work :D

Back