• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved compass size

kaizerkat

Freebooter
when upgrading to a better compass, it shows up in the upper right corner and that's fine. How can i reduce the size of the compass image on screen, like i have seen in other screenshots that players have? Is it possible to make the ship and characters icons smaller as well?

If anyone else has reduced the size of the compass I too would like to know how it is done.

Character icons and compass on the upper right corner of the screen get smaller when I adjust my resolution to my full screen 1366x768.
But it hurts my eyes so I just use 1024x768. The compass and other icons get smaller too compared to build default 800x600.

Adjusting your resolution on engine.ini adjusts some icons if not all icons size in the game as well.

Have you tried equipping a cheaper compass? That will give you the simple version back.

The NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT toggle is related to this as well since that controls whether the Options Menu or the Equipped Compass decide the size of your compass.
However, it is not written in an inverted way, so you can enable it in Arcade, but cannot disable it in Realistic.

Hi All,

Been away for a long time but just re-installed the POTC and new horizons mod. I have the oposite problem. I'm running it in 1920 x 1080 on a 3D monitor and it all looks fantastic except that I can hardly see the compass at all. I only just found a basic compass but it's in the bottom left corner and it's tiny. it's only about 25 mm across. cant read it and can hardly see the wind indicator either.

I'm playing on relistic and none of the compass options in the menu make any difference. Is there any way to get it back to the size and position of the original please? It's making me blind trying to use it.

Thanks for any help.

BB

Yes there is a way to get the large compass. Just play the game!

When you level up the better compass will become available in the stores and doesn't even cost much.

The compass options do make a difference, they make your compass look differently. But they do not affect size.
Size comes, as Hylie said, just from the quality of the compass you baught.

Refer to my previous post above. Nothing has changed.
So in Realistic Game Mode, just get a more expensive spyglass.

I does have something to do with the resolution also. might be worth looking into but I dont have time for it now.

when upgrading to a better compass, it shows up in the upper right corner and that's fine. How can i reduce the size of the compass image on screen, like i have seen in other screenshots that players have? Is it possible to make the ship and characters icons smaller as well?

If anyone else has reduced the size of the compass I too would like to know how it is done.

This is done by adjusting the compass texture file sizes and scaling in BattleInterface.c.
You have to adjust several parts of text code along with the textures because there are multiple texture file overlays used to support the compass for display.
The base size gets automatically reduced when using higher resolutions because the the initial size is FIXED on a scaled 800X600 resolution.

If you want the whole compass bigger increase the dimensions of the supporting text code for the position to whatever you desire.
However, keep in mind the quality of the image will suffer as you enlarge it based on the original texture files.

This is the same process when you need to adjust it for widescreen purposes, but is easier to just change the actual dimensions of the texture file, and use a higher quality image to offset the dithering effect.

To head off any questions, I currently do not have upgraded compass texture files for POTC New Horizons, but maybe at some point I will make some.

Last edited:
Back