• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Competition?

Brendon Camons

HoO Team Member
2D Artist
Quest Writer
Provisional
Hey guys, looking around on Steam I fell on this.... www.navalaction.com . Seems as though they're taking it the same-ish direction as us, only much less focused on "Land" gameplay. Just thought you might like to see what's out there. I feel when our product is finished we will be able to show much better results with a wider variety of things to do and accomplish.

An MMO is not a single-player RPG. Also, by the time they release their game, we will still be heavily in development.
There will be no overlap either way. So as our FAQ says, there is no competition here whatsoever.

Okay I like it! Thanks for the heads up guys. I guess comparing our two games together is like comparing GTA with Gran Turismo.. Both have cars, but are very much different. Very excited either way. Keep up the work guys!

Oh and just curious.. Why not try for steam Greenlight? We don't necessarily have to have the "finished" product or even an alpha, but people seeing what has already accomplished will DEFINITELY get people fired up. Thousands of people see that, and if more people see what we're doing and have the ability to aid us I have no doubts they'd be more than willing to. Not only will word get out on the internet big-time, but we could even get more people on board.. What do you guys think? Or am I just rambling on a pre-discussion subject already haha.

For Steam Greenlight, I think we'd need to have the game in a more advanced stage of development before it's suitable to submit.
And we're still not decided on whether to launch on Steam for a number of reasons, but that's something to consider in future anyway.

Yeah I started looking for a thread that dealt with greenlight and I found it. Lots of things I didn't know. But i also looked and found games that were hardly developed at all that were greenlit. I just think that teasing people with the beautiful product you guys have already would create a boom in interest. You've got pictures of ships, water, BEAUTIFUL islands, Guns, all I really see you needing is a sort of "in-game cinematic trailer". Much like the fantastic videos Captain Murphey has already been doing but showing off what's been done. I understand that all the intricate details are a problem, but I honestly feel HoO is ready to spread its wings.

Once we've got the first playable tech demo released, that will hopefully spark a huge interest as people finally get their hands on it for the first time. ;)

I have watched many free games on the Greenlight process get passed up for it simply because Steam won't make any money on them, no matter how popular. It is understandable since the game files are hosted on Steam and they have to keep the servers running with money, so it is something they have to look at. There is, however, a step called 'Concept' that we could add HoO to that is where you pitch the idea and show some assets and just get feedback. You can do everything that Greenlight does except for accrue votes. It can't hurt to put a page up there.

all I really see you needing is a sort of "in-game cinematic trailer". Much like the fantastic videos Captain Murphey has already been doing but showing off what's been done.
I'm definitely still looking forward VERY MUCH to seeing such a trailer myself! :cheers

There is, however, a step called 'Concept' that we could add HoO to that is where you pitch the idea and show some assets and just get feedback. You can do everything that Greenlight does except for accrue votes. It can't hurt to put a page up there.
That does actually sound interesting. More coverage is always nice. Especially on a system where a LOT of people would get to see it!

Back