• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confussion in regards of EVERYTHING on this forum

Sandslash

Landlubber
Ok. I've been wondering for an hour on this forum. SO MUCH INCONSISTENCY. Why so much freaking mods!?
I bought POTC and wanted to install the latest and most fixed mode there is. I found that there are 11 & 12 & 13 mods. Then I found mod 14, which has two releases - light and full. What's the differenec? I've downloaded a while ago the one which was 700 megs, now I see full mode is 1.9 gigs and light one 10 megs. The f* is going on? Which one do I need to install? I'm dead tired looking around the forum and trying to figure out - what's, where's and why's.

Can someone explain to me what all these things mean above? The difference?

Thank you.

P.S. Ok, it seems to me by the names of the patches that 700 meg one was for beta 1 and the 1.9gig one stands for the newest one? Do I need to install anything else or this mode includes EVERYTHING that was in previous mods?

:gday mate!

Well, it is really pretty simple. This is an old game and it has been modded a lot. It looks like there have been 14 mods so far with one being built on top of the other. When I found this site just over 2 years ago Build 13 was the newest one. Now we are up to Build 14 Beta 2.1.

Someday someone should clean up the old clutter because as it stands today build 13 is probably best for old hardware while Build 14 beta 2.1 is for newer hardware.

Anyhoo, if you have the original POTC cd's you want to look to the top of the page and click on "downloads". What you want is the Full install. The lite one goes on top of a Beta 1 install, which you do not have.

Read all of the instructions carefully and you should have no problems except for boredom while waiting for the thing to download. It is huge! Then tell us how you are doing. :cheers

Phantastique. I've installed mod, but now for whenever I try to press Start after I've chosen the character loading screen starts to load, but, presumably, at the moment when it should turn from loading to gameplay it throws out the message POTC:NH has topped working, looking for solutions...

Windows 7. Yes, I have set up the compatibility and everything in settings after this error occured and tried it as well.

This is a mystery to me. Have you read this thread yet? http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18371-beta-2-issues/

Build 13 is the latest full release. Build 14 Beta 2 is still a work in progress, although VERY playable with a LOT of brilliant content.
Build 11 and Build 12 are also still available for people who can't run the later releases and simply out of interest.
Basically: The higher the number, the more recent and the more features.

You ALWAYS should get the FULL version. The Light versions are only for specific cases.
For example, Build 14 Beta 2.1 Light is ONLY for the people who were already running Build 14 Beta 2.
I always make sure to mention in the installation instructions what the Light version is supposed to be installed on top of.

I have tried the following:

1. Replacing the MODULES folder
2. Disabling "Safe Mode" for the sound in configurations
3. Installing the SwiftShader V2.0 Demo first on my desktop and launching it, then into the folder of the game and launching it
4. Compatibility mode in properties
5. Disabling "rundll32.exe" and "explorer.exe" via Windows Task manager (explanation of why I tried it)
6. Adding ENGINE.EXE to the ffdshow exception list
7. Moving RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder elsewhere
8. Using Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) resulted in a few errors with (screenshot below). Applied mitigation twice and it fixed only one registry error.
9. Defragmentation
10.Tried to play original without the modes - same error. Hence, it must be the videocard, I assume.
Other scenarious do not work as well (not only the main one).

Log files:
View attachment compile.log
View attachment system.log

P.S. I have integrated Intel videocard and I have klite-codec pack, which, I presume, has ffdshow in it.
Untitled.jpg

P.P.S. Compatibility.
Untitled.png

P.P.P.S. Tried to add POTC to the exception list in ffdshow using the following method for other game:

First, download and install the latest version of FFDShow:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=4790&s=50

Now, go to: Start Menu --> All Programs --> FFDShow --> Video decoder configuration

Go to "DirectShow control" on the left. Check "Don't use FFDShow in", and click "Edit", then click "Add".

Find your Fallout 3 folder, and choose "Fallout3.exe". Now simply click "OK".

The game should work properly then.

Note that not installing FFDS at all (or having an old version, like I was) will NOT work. You need to install a new version of FFDS and then add Fallout3.exe to exceptions. Don't ask me why.

P.P.P.P.S. Screenshot of Standard User Analyzer tool from ACT
Untitled.jpg

Aha! You have been doing a lot of work. :onya

Now it looks like your problem is a combination of FFDShow and the Intel graphics.

The Intel graphics is not something we can help you with. SwiftShader is your only hope unless you are able to install a real video card in your computer.

FFDShow gave me nothing but trouble for a long time. I disabled it and thought I was good to go, but noooo. I had to delete FFDShow before POTC worked well. :shrug

The real clue is that stock POTC will not run. If that will not run, then the mod will not run.

I will not going to erase it, but this thread might be helpful anyway for anyone who will encounter the same problem later on. Thank you for your help.

Back