• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Correcting "Early Explorers" Period

Snag one is that it doesn't all happen in the same place. Questbook entries are made in various dialog.c files as well as "quests_side.c". Snag two is that some of them refer to several characters at once, starting with the first line, which mentions both Father Bernard and Father Jerald. So it's going to need different variable names and it's going to need 'Preprocessor_AddQuestData' and 'Preprocessor_Remove' lines at each occasion. (I hadn't realised just how convoluted this quest is when I had the idea of leaving some preprocessor definitions in place!)
Ugh. It couldn't just be simple, could it? :facepalm

The new preprocessor lines have done their jobs! :onya

After doing a bit of work on Antoine Chamfort's dialog and "quests_side.c", I did a test run with Francis Drake. Antonio Chamot correctly greets him as Senor and the questbook entry about Francois Moulin being relieved now gives Chamot's name. Then I did a test run in a later period, using Claire Larousse as the player character (and incidentally having an amusing encounter in San Juan tavern xD), and Antoine Chamfort correctly greets her as Mademoiselle.

And now look at "SideQuest.c" and see what I've done to Chamot...

Attachments

• SideQuest.c
    149.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Antoine Chamfort_dialog.h
    584 bytes · Views: 105
  • Antoine Chamfort_dialog.c
    1.8 KB · Views: 107
  • quests_side.c
    360.1 KB · Views: 101
@Grey Roger: Are there any other pressing Early Explorers issues you need support with?
Or is it just the various sidequests that may need to be tweaked/disabled?

"Help the Church" and "Strange Things Going On" will need some work, but if you're planning on a new installer this weekend then they certainly won't be ready in time for that!

"Sinking the Vogelstruijs" and "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance" need to be disabled - the first makes absolutely no sense in the "Early Explorers" setting, the second requires you to visit several islands which are disabled in "Early Explorers".

The new sword will need to be added to "initItems.c" and "ItemsDescribe.txt", as well as the interface pictures put in place. Then edit "quests_side.c", find 'case "jelaifini"' and replace "blade34+2" with the new sword's ID. The questbook currently has a fairly generic statement which works for any fancy sword, but line 11 could be edited to fit more specifically with the new sword.

Take your time @Grey Roger , we are aiming to have a functional finished 3.5 in 2,5 week or so.

"Help the Church" and "Strange Things Going On" will need some work, but if you're planning on a new installer this weekend then they certainly won't be ready in time for that!
I'm planning on a new installer YESTERDAY. Which has already been posted. So no pressure. ;)

"Sinking the Vogelstruijs" and "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance" need to be disabled - the first makes absolutely no sense in the "Early Explorers" setting, the second requires you to visit several islands which are disabled in "Early Explorers".
These sidequests are enabled in PROGRAM\Periods.c; you only need to add an if-statement around their starts and that should solve those ones.

The new sword will need to be added to "initItems.c" and "ItemsDescribe.txt", as well as the interface pictures put in place. Then edit "quests_side.c", find 'case "jelaifini"' and replace "blade34+2" with the new sword's ID. The questbook currently has a fairly generic statement which works for any fancy sword, but line 11 could be edited to fit more specifically with the new sword.
This one @Bartolomeu o Portugues and/or @Jack Rackham . :doff

Take your time @Grey Roger , we are aiming to have a functional finished 3.5 in 2,5 week or so.
At that time I'm aiming for a version ready for testing by myself because that is when my holiday starts.
Perhaps a public release of Beta 3.5 by the end of August if all goes well.

These sidequests are enabled in PROGRAM\Periods.c; you only need to add an if-statement around their starts and that should solve those ones.
"Elizabeth Shaw" has things set up in "Periods.c". Can the 'if' statement use 'GetCurrentPeriod()' bearing in mind that 'GetCurrentPeriod()' is also defined in "Periods.c"?
"Vogelstruijs" has nothing in "Periods.c".

Okay I'll make the pictures for the new sword. Should there be different qualites?
The describe + stats in initItems maybe it should be up to @Bartolomeu o Portugues?
Francis Drake's sword gives +1 Melee, and it's indestructible - it does not deteriorate. (Is that "qualities"?) This one is also unique so it should be indestructible as well. The design does not look like a practical weapon, with the long double-pronged pommel and the block of metal in the middle of the cross-guard, so I'd be inclined to give it -1 Melee and +1 in one or two other attributes due to the ornate nature in general and the cross-guard jewel in particular. Perhaps +1 Leadership (ornate), plus +1 Commerce (which an ordinary sapphire gives) or +1 Grappling (which a gold sapphire ring gives). Otherwise let @Bartolomeu o Portugues decide which special abilities it gives.

And we'll need to find some other use for it. After the work put into the sword, it would be a pity if it only exists in one side-quest in "Early Explorers". It dates back to Columbus' time - I've written the alternative journal to include dates when Columbus first visited Cuba, so that the sword is safely buried even if someone decides to play right at the start of "Early Explorers", which is 1500. It is found in the 16th century. So it ought to be around somewhere in later periods...

"Elizabeth Shaw" has things set up in "Periods.c". Can the 'if' statement use 'GetCurrentPeriod()' bearing in mind that 'GetCurrentPeriod()' is also defined in "Periods.c"?
"Vogelstruijs" has nothing in "Periods.c".
Should be possible, yes. In fact, doesn't it already do that for some quest-related stuff in there?
How does the name for "Arabella Silehard" work again? I know that applies a period-correct change in that file somewhere.

Francis Drake's sword gives +1 Melee, and it's indestructible - it does not deteriorate. (Is that "qualities"?)
Qualities are "Broken/Worn/Excellent", etc. Swords that don't have them are automatically indestructable because otherwise when they damage, they would be instantly lost.
That'd be rather nasty for your special blades, so that doesn't happen. ;)

And we'll need to find some other use for it. After the work put into the sword, it would be a pity if it only exists in one side-quest in "Early Explorers". It dates back to Columbus' time - I've written the alternative journal to include dates when Columbus first visited Cuba, so that the sword is safely buried even if someone decides to play right at the start of "Early Explorers", which is 1500. It is found in the 16th century. So it ought to be around somewhere in later periods...
Perhaps give it some use in a sidequest that is disabled in Early Explorers? Then it serves a purpose in other periods too without giving a double one in the first period.

The Mefisto still needs to be replaced by something more appropriate to "Early Explorers" (and, for that matter, "Spanish Main") as the sort of frigate currently used shouldn't exist then. Possibly an alternative texture for either the Spanish War Galleon or Fast War Galleon?

The Mefisto still needs to be replaced by something more appropriate to "Early Explorers" (and, for that matter, "Spanish Main") as the sort of frigate currently used shouldn't exist then. Possibly an alternative texture for either the Spanish War Galleon or Fast War Galleon?
There is a PiratFastGalleon or something like that, isn't there?

Yes, it's Roche Brassiliano's ship for the "Assassin" storyline. So if you do "Strange Things Going On" in that storyline, you'll probably end up with two of them...

PROGRAM\Periods.c this should do it:
Code:
  if(GetCurrentPeriod() == PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS)
   {
     ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Contre-Amirale"), "none", ""); //Sinking the Vogelstruijs
   }
   else
   {
     //First Contact quest
     PChar.quest.Firstcontact = "";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1 = "location";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1.location = "Grand_Cayman_townhall";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition = "Contact_start";
     //First Contact quest
   }

Yes, it's Roche Brassiliano's ship for the "Assassin" storyline. So if you do "Strange Things Going On" in that storyline, you'll probably end up with two of them...
Having a look at the game now....
- "PiratFastGal": Indeed a quest-only ship by @Bartolomeu o Portugues, so he would need to agree with her being used to replace the Mefisto if we decide that is the best option
- "PiratBrig50": Nice piratey ship that appears in The Spanish Main and might fit the bill (though notably less impressive than the normal Mefisto)
I know that may not seem appropriate in Early Explorers, but this was supposed to be a special ship, so maybe an exception could be made?
- "Empress": A Chinese Junk? Are you NUTS? But at least she IS unique and they were developed well before Early Explorers (960–1279).

Otherwise you get into generic caravels and carracks, which may not be very impressive as "pirate boss ship".

Back