• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Couple problems/questions that are impeding my gameplay.

Uberman7788

Landlubber
The title was a little dramatic but I have a few questions:

1. How do I increase my leadership skill? In my last game (I have since decided to start anew) I was sailing around in an advanced warship, making millions of gold. Yet I only had 3 leadership by level 20, and 16 months into the game! I have a feeling I wasn't doing anything to increase the skill. How do I increase it?

2. How do I join the navy? I want to join the English navy but the best I could do was buy a letter of marque from the governor at port royale. I was promoted a few times but I still cannot buy naval ships in the shipwright.

3. Are bombs accessible in the mod? I noticed that I cannot buy them anywhere I've looked. I'm talking about the ammunition for cannons.

Thats about it, I would appreciate some answers.

:ahoy

1) You increase your leadership by completing quests, paying your crew on time, and by talking to town folk.

2) You already joined the English Navy and are being promoted. What ships one can buy is regulated by your rank. The higher your rank, the better the ships you can buy.

3) Bombs are very rare and can not be bought. They can sometimes be found in random dismasted hulks floating around, and sometimes one can find a civilian wandering around in forts who can supply them.

Of course, thats how I worked my way up to an Advanced Warship.

But I hate the sailing and leadership penalties you take when sailing a class 5 ship when I'm only rated to sail a class 6

OH also another question:

How do I increase my sailing skill? Other than like, just sailing around or sitting in a storm forever.

At the main menu look closely at "advanced options". You can adjust some things in there so that you can get and sail any ship any time with no penalties.

1. In Beta 2.3, the game was set up to give you leadership as you follow the main storyline. But if you then want to do free play, it becomes very hard to get anywhere.
Are you using the Beta 2.4 Test Version yet? See here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horiz...ons-build-14-beta-24-test-version-2-available
There we added some code to increase your leadership if you keep paying your crew on time to help with that.
Also, we fixed the governors' Pirate Hunting quests so that you can get Leadership skill increases from those too.

2. With every two promotions, a new Tier of navy ship becomes available. These are the exact details:
Code:
/* ----REALISTIC SHIP PURCHASE----
This mod disables the selling of navy ships to characters who don't have a high enough national rank

Note: Navy ships are ships that have Type.War = true and Type.Trade = false
      If you want a certain ship to not be considered a navy ship, change these settings in ships_init.c

Settings per ship class:
------------------------
-1 = No LoM required
 0 = Only a LoM required
>0 = National rank required (see nations_init.c)
Set all to -1 to disable this mod
*/
#define RANK_FOR_EIGHTH_RATE            -1        // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SEVENTH_RATE            -1        // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SIXTH_RATE                0        // Only a LoM required
#define RANK_FOR_FIFTH_RATE                2        // Lowest rank: Junior Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FOURTH_RATE            4        // Lowest rank: Senior Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_THIRD_RATE                6        // Lowest rank: Captain (England)
#define RANK_FOR_SECOND_RATE            8        // Lowest rank: Rear Admiral (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FIRST_RATE                10        // Lowest rank: Admiral (England)

But I hate the sailing and leadership penalties you take when sailing a class 5 ship when I'm only rated to sail a class 6
It depends on your Sailing and Leadership skills. If this particular element of the mod is taking away from your enjoyment, you can switch off the "Restricted ship tier" setting in Options>Advanced Options.
In the Beta 2.4 Test version, we fixed that code so that at least you won't get stuck at Tier 3, but can go all the way to Tier 1.

How do I increase my sailing skill? Other than like, just sailing around or sitting in a storm forever.
If you sail from island to island in 3D sailing mode without using time compression, you'll increase your Sailing skill.
For the next modpack release, we'll probably change it so that you get that increase if you do use time compression as well.
You can't even sit in a storm forever, because they blow themselves out. Also, with the chance of capsizing, they're more dangerous than before.

LOL! Tell me about it. Here I am limping into port after just one storm with tattered sails and crew and cargo washed overboard.
Stormy.jpg

I don't like DirectSail without my trusty enhanced compass, sextant, and chronometer. Otherwise I'll end up somewhere I had no intention of going, due to the wind always blowing north for some reason.

I was playing 2.1 until a few hours ago and then I upgraded all the way to 2.4 build 2. I do see improvents with the skills.

Back