• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Crash in Charleston cave

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
hi,
2) had a crash in Charleston cave, game was trying to load a sound file named HORROR, no such file exist in my installation.

sorry, actually i have no idea why game crashes\freezes or engine.exe just stops working, point is there is no error log: only system log which should indicate what was the last thing the engine was "elaborating" before the above happened.
`till now i had only 3 crashes, for 1 of them system log showed me the game was loading texture from the wrong folder, the following crash happened in the pirate cellar, i was reaching the exit when the music hanged, system log was loading sound from \sound\cave\HORROR (yes capital letters), the last ones was related to some "geometry size", some .gm file which could not be rendered (ok: i will KEEP the system log in order to give more reliable info).
by the way: i have intel chipset, so bad memory and cpu usage at 100% is normal......
can someone tell me if problem n. 3 or n.4 happens just to me?
i`d like to know if i`m allowed to start a game with different profession, without having to choose a vanilla nation in the starting UI.

Standard storyline

The only references I can find to the word "horror" anywhere in the game files are in one dialog file and related to "Horror of the High Seas".
No sounds whatsoever. So I do not understand how this could possibly be called, because I can find zero code asking for it.

it seems to be in music settings and aren't the music schemes define in resources? Did you also check there?

I checked my whole PotC folder. Maybe the Windows Search missed something, though. :shrug

I will do a search later with notepad++, I noticed sometimes the windows search doesn't get everything.

as far as I understood this is not a high priority bug cause taking an earlier savegame and doing it again didn't cause this again so its a freak accident.

Are those on location models sourced from CoAS? I know caves there would have special locators that, when stepped on, trigger a skeleton attack.
I could imagine those being named as "horror".

Charleston is probably Charlestown on Nevis.
The only "cave" there is this one used in the Hornblower storyline:
Code:
  Locations[n].id = "Tunnel";
   locations[n].id.label = "Beach Tunnel";
   Locations[n].filespath.models = "locations\Inside\Mine";
   Locations[n].image = "Inside_Mine.tga";
That is not a CoAS location though.

In QuebradasCostillas (Charlestown on Nevis) there is this location

Locations[n].id = "Town_Tunnel";
locations[n].id.label = "Cellar";
Locations[n].filespath.models = "locations\Inside\Cellar_downstairs";

and the locatorfile has a locator: horror01 which is a sound type.

Could it be this one that crashed?

Ah, that IS a CoAS location. Perhaps we can just get rid of that locator? It isn't used for anything anyway.

Back