• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Crash repeated, almost constant, for the screen in the sea

I need some kind soul checking the 5th rate SHIP_CARAVEL ("Caravel").

Deep check needed. Lure her outside the Ruin of Shore bay (may be the shore can cause crashes).

I'm not telling my suspicions because I need an independent opionion to compare with mine one.

Cheers.
buho (A).

I need some kind soul checking the 5th rate SHIP_CARAVEL ("Caravel").
...Lure her outside the Ruin of Shore bay (may be the shore can cause crashes)....
I'm sorry...
I can not help with the SHIP_CARAVEL.
I do not have in the parking, and I can not get in the shipyards (... also with reloads, so far...).
I expect to capture, random...
Impossible to predict when, is not a ship frequent
For the Ruin of Shore bay (Bermuda), in my game is all OK: Map -> Sea-> Ruin of Shore-> landing, and all possible combinations.

You can generate whatever ship you want in the Ruin Shore using the console file and the AIship.c file attached a couple messages above.

About the crashes: in the Ruin Shore bay the ships can go ashore, may be crashing the game. As I'm asking for a test, better doing it as carefull as possible.

Cheers.
buho (A).

You can generate whatever ship you want in the Ruin Shore using the console file and the AIship.c file attached a couple messages above.

About the crashes: in the Ruin Shore bay the ships can go ashore, may be crashing the game. As I'm asking for a test, better doing it as carefull as possible.

Cheers.
buho (A).
Ah, I'm sorry...
I do not understand English well... indeed, I do not understand at all...I only understand the google-translation. :cheeky
And this translation I was not clear for me.
You wanted a test with your files, but I'm not sure on how to apply them; I play, but I do not know the complications of the programs, and I can not understand the instructions.
Small changes I've done so far, I made them because they were simple.
For the others, I'll have to wait for the patch complete.
I can do a test on the game, but not on the application of files. :shrug

Awesome just that kind of tool I was thinking about. I'll check as many ships as I can with and without dismasting fix. Iure these buggers out starting with the SHIP_CARAVEL ("Caravel") as requested.

Edit
One question though... you can only summon AI ships right? So the player can not change his own vessel with this? Just that I understand correctly.

~135 Ships to test *harhar*
:shock

Right my aim is to do this in a semi professional way I've created an Excel sheet where all ships are listed also I type in the status of the test.

The 1st (A) sheet has all test with the mast don't fall hack active while the 2nd (B) has not. I've tested many ships already and only 4 ships so far are causing trouble even with the mast dont fall hack active... 2 are critical and known already (Lydia+Amsterdam). The Wicked Wench and the Sophie which were reported as crash ships are working fine no issues for the moment since I test with the mast don't fall hack... possible they crash the game if a mast will fall... we shall see when I switch the test pattern.

Please take a look at the attachment for details I shall continue the testing, an hour here an hour there, so I'm positive that in a couple of days I can test all ships with and without the hack applied someone simply HAS TO do it so I'll do it.

If you can't open the attached file you can install Open Office which is a free program
http://download.openoffice.org/

Cheers
Joe

Zillion thanks mate.

Gotta cross your list with mine an update the modders one.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Right I've tested all vessels (not all quest ships though) and the result is attached. We have like 5 ships that with CTD your game with a 100% ratio and many more that are close to "bulletproof" and you can't damage them nor reduce the enemy crew. And som other less importat issues.

Check the attachment for details. Next up is testing without the dismasting fix.

cheers
Joe

Attachments

• Betatest CTD's Ships.rar
    6.6 KB · Views: 99
Did that for all you guys who spent hundrets of hours improving the game and the community since we have a great bunch of friendly people around... besides for me too I enjoy a game much better if the bugs are fixed. Yay for us all.
:will

cheers
Joe

Now lets compare results: SHIP_SLOOPOFWAR and SHIP_CRIMSONBLOOD are crashing when dismasted in a consistent way for me (like 2/4 or even 3/4) but not for you. May be my very much feared system-related crash is lurking here :wacko:.

SHIP_CARAVEL is crashing sometimes and showing some invulnerabilities for both. Anyway, the GOF 1.2 model is apparently working ok.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Do we really need tartanes anyway? I mean really, if there was ever a more worthless ship that no-one ever uses...

And the crashing is just getting out of hand. It's so bad now that saved games that didn't crash before now cause crashes. That's right. The crashes have filled the present and are overflowing into the past!

The crashes have become so powerful, they are defying the laws of quantum mechanics!

And frigates (the regular ones that come with the vanilla game) are nearly invincible in GoF. I have a man-o-war and I can just barely sink one before it sinks me.

And the crashing is just getting out of hand. It's so bad now that saved games that didn't crash before now cause crashes. That's right. The crashes have filled the present and are overflowing into the past!

Very interesting... Think I got the same effect in POTC. But at that time I believed I had lost control of the saves.

But if you are experiencing it too, it bears to one possible conclusion: when you save a game the engine writes data in some other place too.

We need to investigate it.

And frigates (the regular ones that come with the vanilla game) are nearly invincible in GoF. I have a man-o-war and I can just barely sink one before it sinks me.

Yes. We are detecting some invulnerabilities. Actually it is like some ships can't be hit from some angle; it is even possible that not all instances of the same ship suffer from it. Hard to ferret out, it will take some time.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Check out the attachment of post #30 all ships with issues are listed as far as my experience and testing went it can help you to figure out problems you might have as well. So you know if you meet a certain vessel you see a "bulletproof" one for instance.

Or if you wonder about a crash you can figure out with that list who the bugger is and sell her (checking the list with the vessels in your squadron)... though some ships are slightly renamed ingame thus different from the name in the code... hmmm

I've stopped the "serious" gaming anyway we need to find a way to fix the ship's issues if you ask me that's priority in favor to adding new content or features but that's just my personel opinion.

I've stopped the "serious" gaming anyway we need to find a way to fix the ship's issues if you ask me that's priority in favor to adding new content or features but that's just my personel opinion.

Totally agreed.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Very interesting... Think I got the same effect in POTC. But at that time I believed I had lost control of the saves.

But if you are experiencing it too, it bears to one possible conclusion: when you save a game the engine writes data in some other place too.

We need to investigate it.

I think the easiest way to see IF it writes to other things would be to back up the saved games in question, uninstall the game, re-install, put in all the required mods, then try to load the saves again. I tried that myself, and the results were inconclusive, but it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion, methinks. Also, when I loaded my old saves into a fresh install, my controls were completely haywire. I had to reset to default.. I'll see about uploading my saves so you can mess with them. Here you go: https://rapidshare.com/files/162774937/sharksprizesavegame.zip

Yes. We are detecting some invulnerabilities. Actually it is like some ships can't be hit from some angle; it is even possible that not all instances of the same ship suffer from it. Hard to ferret out, it will take some time.

On that note, I think I should also say that, like the old CM, sometimes the cannons refuse to fire at an enemy ship, even though it's right there in range, right in the middle of the 'cannon fan' on the compass. I usually have to go to 1st person mode and fire manually. It's annoying. Sometimes changing the angle of my ship works. Also, I think, but am not 100% sure, that my cannonballs just go right through a hull sometimes, without hitting it. I can see bombs easily, and they 'hit' the hull, but then there's a bunch of splashes behind the ship.

On that note, I think I should also say that, like the old CM, sometimes the cannons refuse to fire at an enemy ship, even though it's right there in range, right in the middle of the 'cannon fan' on the compass. I usually have to go to 1st person mode and fire manually. It's annoying. Sometimes changing the angle of my ship works. Also, I think, but am not 100% sure, that my cannonballs just go right through a hull sometimes, without hitting it. I can see bombs easily, and they 'hit' the hull, but then there's a bunch of splashes behind the ship.
The sometimes cannons not fire but it works in 1st person view is a strange bug maybe this can be resolved if the reported ships are fixed I'm guessing those ships are the ones who have this problem exclusively... moreover I'm hoping so. If not we have to redo some checking. But lets wait for the fixes before we run to other measures.

In most cases if you hear the net beep something is wrong with a ship that is near, which goes from simply "damage texture missing" to "bulletproof" vessel ahead... it's a solid indicator from what I can tell now that I've tested ~130 ships.

Cheers
Joe

If memory serves, the cannon blocking bug is there from SD (the very first game on the series, ten years ago). I believe it survived POTC and AOP1. I'm sure I experienced it in POTC a couple times.

If I'm right I don't think we are going to fix it soon. If ever.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Back