• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Crash when starting new game (windows 8)

Rosilio

Landlubber
Hey, I'm new to this forum and first of all I really appreciate the effort you guys put in this awesome game.

I've carefully read all the instructions, and in my believe followed through. However, just as the Stock version, the game (beta 2,5) opens normally but when I want to start a new game it crashes. I've also changed the .ini to upload the logs but I did not get a error log.

I installed the game directly to C: and not in program files
First installed Stock, then Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full and lastly the Beta 2.5
I let the game run as Administrator
I've set the compatibility mode to XP service pack 3
Let Nvidea to be the default graphics chip for this game (I've a laptop with Intel and Nvidea)
I've downloaded the application compatibility toolkit, however I don't know how to use this

Can someone please help me! I really want to play this game :)

Attachments

• system.log
    374 bytes · Views: 79
  • compile.log
    3.7 KB · Views: 79
Well you are not the first one having trouble playing this game in Windows 8. I advised him to make a virtual installation with Windows XP and install it in this. Old games in new OS can be problems.

I've been seeing this as the last compile.log entry a lot lately:
Code:
** Whr: CreateWeatherEnvironment - iCurWeatherhour = -1, theHour = 10
 !gWeatherInit Whr_Generator() - Initialized
But why, I do not know.

Can you check your main game folder and see if there is still a PROGRAM_new folder there?

Hey, thanks for the replies. No, there is not a PROGRAM_new folder (I expect this should be at the same location as the normal Program folder). And yes, I ran both .bat for 2.1 and 2.5.

Did the stock POTC run ok? Could you quickly install just the stock POTC and see if it runs ok?

Well you are not the first one having trouble playing this game in Windows 8. I advised him to make a virtual installation with Windows XP and install it in this. Old games in new OS can be problems.
I'm running PotC with the latest Build on Windows 8, and I haven't had any OS-related issues. New Windows versions aren't all evil. :p

Im trying to figure out how the compatibility toolkit works and will post if it worked. One question though, when the Stock version installation asked to install directx 9 and something about windows player should I have installed this? I clicked no, maybe thats a problem?

I doubt that would make a difference. As Hylie asks though, it is very good to know if the game worked BEFORE installing the modpack.
Then we'd know if it is a hardware or Windows software issue OR an installation problem.

The Stock version definitely worked on my previous pc (xp) but it does not work on my new computer (windows 8). I've installed the stock version a second time to make sure it was not a bad installation, but it still did not work.

If it is of any help, the printscreens that I uploaded are of the Application compatibility toolkit. I used the Standard User Analyser, which points out files that are possible fraudulent. Maybe the details of that point out whats wrong?

Attachments

• Other objects.jpg
    Other objects.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 70
  • Registry.jpg
    Registry.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 64
Do you get into the main menu at all on the stock game? If it crashes BEFORE that, it could be a video-related thing; we've seen that before.
If so, try moving all files from RESOURCE\VIDEOS to somewhere else so the game can't try to show them.
If it crashes AFTER pressing the "New Game" button, that usually indicates an Intel Graphics Card problem.
What kind of graphics card do you have anyway?

Also, see if there is anything in our FAQ that might point you in the right direction:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/frequently-asked-questions.14915/

Its after pressing new game. I've got an laptop with both Intel and Nvidea but like I said, I went to the control menu of Nvidea and added the engine.exe to be combined with High performance Nvidea processor. I could try to use the shiftshader just to make sure, right? One other curious thing, the Nvidea menu calls the engine.exe: "Hitman 5 (engine.exe)", lol

Never mind guys! I found the problem, well... at least how its fixed. Like most guys told about changing settings in the Nvidea control menu per game/application (that you have to add the .exe and change auto select into high performance processor), I found another tab next to this which says 'Global settings'. Just as the other tab, you can choose which graphics chip you prefer. When I change the default 'auto select graphics chip' to high performance nvidea processor the game works!

Thanks anyway for your help and especially for putting so much effort in this awesome mod!!

Never mind guys! I found the problem, well... at least how its fixed. Like most guys told about changing settings in the Nvidea control menu per game/application (that you have to add the .exe and change auto select into high performance processor), I found another tab next to this which says 'Global settings'. Just as the other tab, you can choose which graphics chip you prefer. When I change the default 'auto select graphics chip' to high performance nvidea processor the game works!

Thanks anyway for your help and especially for putting so much effort in this awesome mod!!
so this worked? was just about to suggest this, :onya

In the nvidia sticky thread above this thread it does not mention that last step. We did not know about it. :facepalm

Would you like to add a post about this there?

Back