• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Crashfix - kind of...

Lord_Kosmos

For King and Country!
Storm Modder
Hi there lads long time no see :keith
While I left off to other shores and mods for awhile, I frequently come back here to play the newest Build releases and get some of the "still" best Pirate/Naval simulation to date!

Well the mod itself runs mighty fine until I go and fight it out on one of the seven seas with some ships. If there is a large Fleet about...it is guaranteed to crash sometime in between the fighting (usually right before the last ship is pumped full o'load or right after). With small encounters, the chance of crashing is, well 10-40% which is too high to play without sitting in front of the screen and *sigh*ing. So I looked into the problem and came to the same conclusion as several other modders already...the engine itself is pretty bugged and is probably plagued by some kind of memory leaking.
So to fix the hole is out of my league, but I also remembered that, playing the vanilla game, those crashes did not occur that frequent (if at all). The leak is, and so do I believe, triggered by the incredible detailed high poly ship models ingame and the fact, that the "engine.exe" is not able to handle today's large memory and crashes out.
But fear not there is a program to mod the exe to recognise and handle your full system memory. It is called "CFF Explorer" and can be downloaded here

This two screens show what parts of the exe need to be edited, it is very simple. (still make a backup, just in case!)

After installing the App, right click the engine.exe (after backing up :facepalm) and select open with CFF Explorer
CFF2_zps6ec828d9.png

Now fear not...there are many strange words and columns trying to frighten you and your crew! Just select the File Header and make a check by "App can handle >2gb address space". Press OK and save the file. That's all... o_O
CFF3_zpsdea735a0.png

Now I do not say, the error is "fixed" or that this will save you from crashes all the time, but it defiantly got me back afloat and I even fought several battles (some large Warship encounters) after the other and did not crash.
There are still flickering fragments and sometimes slowdowns when the weather changes during a fight, but no crashes for me. I also did check this with my brothers PC, which is a totally different system. I would of course still need some testers before someone can say for sure but I am very happy right now! I could also upload the exe here to the FTP, but again, the change done is really easy to replicate. I do hope it also works for you guys and really would love some feedback from you if it also worked for you.

Till then...:ship

That sounds really interesting. Could you upload the modified ENGINE.exe, please? That would probably make it easiest for people to try this out. :cheers

I just tried this gizmo. I do not have that crash problem, but I have win7 64 and 16gb of ram.

Anyway I just sailed from one island to another, captured a surrendered ship, and sailed into port with no drama. Here is my modified exe.

Attachments

• beta3.7z
    636 KB · Views: 70
Darn me bones, that board also got an upload feature...and Hylie already beat me and uploaded it...! :nerbz

But great to hear!

Just for the record, me also got an 64bit Win7 Edition...with some 16gigs of ramming power

Attachments

• ENGINE.zip
    750.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
uhm....this is something I do with every program/game I use.
Tought everyone did this already :p.

Well, apparently not ;) I only apply it to older games/programs (and Mass Effect) and also was under the impression that the build mod already got this fix, since many if not all games from the pre xp/xp times got this. You do not need to apply it to all applications per se.

How old is this program? The files are dated as far back as 2007. I never heard of it before.

Well not as old as me but it is around for some time now. I first heard about it around the time Mass Effect from Bioware was poorly ported from Xbox to the PC in 2007. Since they did a really bad job at first, the community was forced to make hacks and tweaks just to get the game running. One of them was using the program described above for getting rid of the "~5 Minutes in the game crash to desktop" bug. Well, finally all that tweaking and fiddling with ME payed off, not only for that game but many other's too including this one! :onya

I first heard of it because of Supreme Commander. If you disabled all limitation you would get a crash as soon as your army got bigger. This was the way for me to keep playing. Since then I have used it on 3d modellers, calculating programs (like matlab) and video editing software to make sure they can perform as they should.
Officially you need some kind of licence from windows to distribute a file without this header eneabled. Such a licence is way to expensive so thats why they don't do it. Especially when its so easy to do it yourself.

One thing tough. I believe if you distribute a file with this header disabled some antivirus software will mark it as virusses. I don't know for sure but I know this was the case in the past.

Really? I had been hoping I could just stick it in the Installer EXE file.
Would we really have to make it a separate option?

Hmmm...me got no problem with that. I use Avira as well as Symantec Endpoint Protection at work, which also does not get the file. My brother has Kaspersky and can also play without any notifications or false detection. Someone using Avast or any other software?

I've got McAfee. I suppose it'll tell me soon enough once I get round to trying it. :wp

With playing its not a problem. I believe it used to give warnings when you donwloaded it. but best way to find out is just try. Might be they fixed the problem already. I'm talking about 3 years ago or so :p.

I use Avast.

The first time I started the game after making the change, Avast flashed the warning of a possible threat but with insufficient data to verify.

The options given included continue running the file.
On subsequent game starts, Avast does not interfere.

Just tested this file as well and McAfee didn't mind at all. So I think I'll include it in the next modpack update as it stands.
Should help with performance, I hope. Thanks for this on, mate! :cheers

And welcome to the Modders group. :doff

Back