• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Create Custom Skins for Characters with only Custom Portraits

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
I see some "new" character models which are just renamed already existing models. Why not refer to the
original models instead? :confused:

I see some "new" character models which are just renamed already existing models. Why not refer to the
original models instead? :confused:
I imagine you're referring to models such as Milady de Winter and several others?
That is specifically to give them different portrait files. You were involved in making those, if you recall.... ;)
See here for details: Included in Build - Additional Custom Character Portraits | PiratesAhoy!

Of course I would much prefer if those models themselves were given a different skin as well; that would be so much better!
But that requires someone to do that and at the time nobody considered that worth doing for all of those.

If at any point you do feel like updating any of them, I definitely wouldn't object... *hint, hint*

Or am I completely misunderstanding you here? If so, please give me some of the model IDs that you are referring to.... :unsure

I imagine you're referring to models such as Milady de Winter and several others?
That is specifically to give them different portrait files. You were involved in making those, if you recall.... ;)
See here for details: Included in Build - Additional Custom Character Portraits | PiratesAhoy!

Of course I would much prefer if those models themselves were given a different skin as well; that would be so much better!
But that requires someone to do that and at the time nobody considered that worth doing for all of those.
All of them... no. But it's easy to get reference for Milady de Winter thanks to the recent BBC TV series about the Musketeers. So, based not on Daniell2 but on Daniell3 with a new face and a bit of recolouring...

Attachments

• Milady.zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Milady_1.tga.tx.zip
    112.9 KB · Views: 124
On second thought, I am making this a FEATURE REQUEST for these character models to be given a custom skin.
Is this important? No, it's not. Would it be nice? Of course it would!

This is the full list of characters that I can think of at the moment:
Milady
John Paul Jones
Jean Lafitte
Francisco de Almeida
Jean-Baptiste du Casse
Theodore Groves (various uniforms)
Andrew Gillette (various uniforms)
James Norrington (various uniforms)

And based on the above post, it looks like @Grey Roger has already made a start before I even officially posted the request! :rofl

All of them... no.
Don't worry. I won't ask anyone to do more than he wants to do.
This whole thing is optional.

But it's easy to get reference for Milady de Winter thanks to the recent BBC TV series about the Musketeers. So, based not on Daniell2 but on Daniell3 with a new face and a bit of recolouring...
Awesome! Does that one still match with the interface portrait that @Jack Rackham did?
Also, I've got to say: Nice (unplanned) collaboration between the two of you! :dance

Awesome! Does that one still match with the interface portrait that @Jack Rackham did?
Probably not. But then, neither does "Daniell2". ;)

This is the picture which I used for the face:
c3bf4ebdc6ae44a39e9faf074b12fde8.jpg

I have no problem with "my" portrait being replaced.
It's better if model/portrait has something to do with each other.

Besides, pointing back to that thread reminds me that it was I who noted from the Wikipedia article on Milady that she's supposed to have fair hair, and the BBC got it wrong. :facepalm

The problem is that for what I like doing, which is copying photographic features onto a character texture, the original photo must fit some precise criteria. The person must be looking near enough straight at you, otherwise the nose and mouth are going to look lop-sided on the model. And there should be no shadows or highlights due to lighting for the photo.

The portrait appears to be based on Milla Jovovich's portrayal of the character. The search now commences for a suitable photo...

As @Jack Rackham said, the most important is that the character model and the portrait match.
The other specifics aren't really crucial to me. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!

And thanks a lot for working on this, @Grey Roger! :cheers

This one ought to match the portrait reasonably well.

This is the portrait:

And this is the source photo for the new texture:
milady3.jpg

The model file remains the same, only the texture file has changed. This is the result:
milady_screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• Milady_1.tga.tx.zip
    123.9 KB · Views: 97
This is the full list of characters that I can think of at the moment:
Milady
John Paul Jones
Jean Lafitte
Francisco de Almeida
Jean-Baptiste du Casse
Theodore Groves (various uniforms)
Andrew Gillette (various uniforms)
James Norrington (various uniforms)

OK, here's the deal:

A significant part of the work is finding a suitable photo to use for the face. So if someone wants one of these to have a new outfit, they can provide the photo, then I'll see what I can do for the outfit.

The requirements for the photo are tight, which is why it's a significant piece of work:
  • The face - not the whole photo, the face part of it - must be at least 200 x 200. That's because a character texture is 512 x 512, the face is a quarter of that, though some of that quarter is the hair plus extra cheek and chin to wrap round the model.
  • The person must be looking straight at the camera. If not, the nose and mouth are going to look lop-sided.
  • There must be no shading, at least on the central face. The graphics engine will take care of that by applying current lighting conditions, so if the photo has a big patch of light or dark on one side, it's going to look wrong on the model.
See the photos of Milady de Winter which I found for examples of what can work (dark-haired Milady has excess lighting on one cheek but the central face is fine). See the portrait photo for an example of what can't (too angled, too much shadow).

Do we only have the one Elizabeth Swann in the dress? If so, we should get her various pirate outfits.

That ought to be possible since it doesn't even need a photo, I can just copy the face from the "liz1" texture and stick it onto a copy of one of the other outfits. "Various" is perhaps a bit much, but one pirate outfit for her would be useful as she shows up in the "Silver Train" side quest and at present is represented by the "Becka" model.

Do we only have the one Elizabeth Swann in the dress? If so, we should get her various pirate outfits.
For "missing" PotC characters, have a look at this thread instead: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/tales-of-jack-sparrow-storyline-update-cotbp-dmc-awe.13244/

That ought to be possible since it doesn't even need a photo, I can just copy the face from the "liz1" texture and stick it onto a copy of one of the other outfits. "Various" is perhaps a bit much, but one pirate outfit for her would be useful as she shows up in the "Silver Train" side quest and at present is represented by the "Becka" model.
That would definitely be VERY welcome! :woot

OK, here's the deal:
Sounds like a fair deal to me! :cheers

For the most part, I am not hugely fussed over the faces because as a player character, you don't often see your own face anyway.
I care most about the rest of the outfits matching with their portraits.

This doesn't apply for any naval officers, because by definition their uniforms shouldn't be changed.
So as far as I'm concerned, those can be skipped until someone finds those reference photos that you need.

So this is a texture thing, right? Maybe I can help make some of the characters look a bit better?

Back