• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Create Custom Skins for Characters with only Custom Portraits

Fine by me! As long as you don't end up doing far too much at the same time.
Don't want you to get burned out. ;)

Now working on pirate Elizabeth Swann...
... who turned out to be more trouble than I expected at first.

For one thing, this being a new character rather than a retexture of an existing one, she needed all the accessories - entry in "initModels.c", interface portraits, their entry in "pictures.ini", and a talking head, which proved to be the hardest of the lot. Pirate Swann needs a hat to match the portrait, and there are three basic female models which have one. "9Td" - ho hum, yet another "Danielle" variant, albeit with a hat. "50_33_40Claire" - wrong hat. "50_Becka" - right hat and nicer hair, so that's the one I picked. But Becka is split between two texture files, one for the head and one for the body. The talking head animation only looks at one file, namely the head texture, which therefore has a few bits to use for the shoulders, which are cut, twisted and wrapped to fit - so it took me ages to get my replacement bits twisted into shape so they'd look semi-reasonable.

After that, I was determined to get this model used as thoroughly as possible. The obvious place is the "Silver Train" side quest, which now uses this model instead of the original "50_Becka". And the entry in "initModels.c" allows for a named Free-Play character in command of Bermuda sloop Stingray. (Why that name? Because it's written on the stern and I didn't have to put it there. :D)

This ought to contain everything...

Attachments

• elizabeth_swann.zip
    697 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Awesome! :woot

You have any screenshots by any chance? I'm curious to see your latest work of art.

@Jack Rackham knows how to use TOOL to add 3D details to character models, such as a different head or such.
If you want something like that some time, maybe you can ask him? I know it is possible.

"Elizabeth with pants" should probably see some good use in the Jack Sparrow storyline as well.

Screen shots will follow after I've had a chance to play the game. Or if someone who can play sooner installs the package. If I've done it correctly, getting the new outfit should be fairly straightforward: start a Free-Play game and look for a female character, probably named or specific.

It was the separate head which caused all the trouble! I'm quite happy to just retexture models which are all one unit and need only one texture file. What does interest me is how someone imported Blaze and Beatrice from "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales" because there are some other models in there which I wouldn't mind importing. In particular, how were the combat moves added to the animation? I remember some time ago that if one of them got killed, it didn't fall over, it just stood there because it didn't have the animation to fall over.

Well here she is: seadogs2_0005.jpgseadogs2_0000.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! Now you have Elizabeth Swann's outfit, hire an officer, preferably female, and have her use it. You can then get set up for a screenshot by pressing Tab to get to first person view and F9 to hide the on-screen information - we don't want the screenshot messed up by Elizabeth's portrait being in the wrong slot. :D

Look them up in initModels.c; you'll see they have some additional lines to use a different animation file.
That much I'd figured. ;) But, as I said, originally the animation didn't work as the characters wouldn't fall over when they died. So that animation file must have been corrected. I can import characters from AoP:CT along with their animation files, but they run into the same problem - they can walk around but they won't fall over. Or, for that matter, draw weapons. The models in question are civilians and may not have had the animations to draw weapons, fight or die in AoP:CT.

Excellent! Now you have Elizabeth Swann's outfit, hire an officer, preferably female, and have her use it. You can then get set up for a screenshot by pressing Tab to get to first person view and F9 to hide the on-screen information - we don't want the screenshot messed up by Elizabeth's portrait being in the wrong slot. :D
This is the one, its not as good as I wanted it to be. Can make some others if its wanted.seadogs2_0028.jpg seadogs2_0068.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my screenshots:
elizabeth_swann.jpg elizabeth_swann_select.jpg

The first isn't as nicely lit as @ANSEL's second picture, but it couldn't be helped because I wanted the ship in the background. The second is the Free-Play character selection screen.

Back