• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help crew moral sinks rapidly

kungulas

Landlubber
Hello there

I have a problem, the moral of my other three ships sink rapidly down. In world-map sailing after a few seconds they want to mutiny.

I have them donated enough money, have payed for better moral, i have good leadership (10-10) and they don't need food and rum. Also the capitans have good leadership and so. It is inexplicable to me.

Why they do that? It may be i don't sign articles with the crew. When this is the problem, how i do that?

Thanks and greets

What are the reputations of your officers, and what is yours? If you're good (e.g. "Dashing" or "Hero") and they're evil (e.g. "Swindler" or "Horror of the High Seas"), or vice versa, then they won't like your command style and you've put them somewhere where they can do something about it! (Female officers have different labels. "Maiden" or "Lady" are good, "Floozy" or "Vixen" are naughty.)

How much gold are you carrying? As you've guessed, if you have too much and haven't signed articles then the crew become unhappy. But that tends to affect your own ship as well. If it's only the companion ships which are trying to mutiny, while your own ship stays happy, then look to your captains...

Ya. If you have over $1,000,000 the crew gets upset. Putting the excess money in the ship locker calms them down.

Putting the excess money in the ship locker calms them down.
Not anymore. :no

Actually, you can still give it to one of your officers for safekeeping. But the idea is that by that time you should think about Signing Articles.

Bad idea. I need a lot of money in order to buy trade goods to fill my holds. Plus for most of the game I am perilously close to going bankrupt.

I turn that mutiny feature off at the bottom of internalsettings.h.

Bad idea. I need a lot of money in order to buy trade goods to fill my holds. Plus for most of the game I am perilously close to going bankrupt.
How much money would you need? Perhaps we should increase the value at which this happens?
Perhaps even pre-calculate a "reasonable" value based on the amount of ships in your fleet and cargo hold size?

How much money is needed depends on the ships. Three ships like the large fleut, treasure galleon, heavy east indiaman, or war galleon could take millions, especially if you want to haul high value cargo like gold. Of course if you are only hauling sailcloth it is much less.

Huh. I just realized I am talking about the stock economy. With this new economy in its current state hardly any money is needed at all. $500,000 tops because no one will invest any money in a venture where the outcome is probably bad.

If you've used all your gold to buy trade goods then you don't have lots of gold rattling around in the ship's kitty. Do the crew still become unhappy? That is, do they calculate your total worth and want a share of it, or do they only look at the unspent gold?

But, pending a reply by kungulas on the status of his gold and officers, I still reckon there's a good chance that his problem is to do with the officers' reputation. You can do what you like with your gold but if you've put someone in charge of your companion ship who has a different outlook on life to your own, you're going to get a mutiny pretty soon anyway...

Incidentally, last time I signed articles (back when I was playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" with Beta 3) I actually saved money by doing so. After signing articles, I wasn't paying salary every month. And it took the crew so long to realise that they hadn't seen a penny that I'd completed the entire main quest before morale started to drop and I had to divide the loot.

Okey thank you all I will try that.

And how can I sign articles with my crew? I don't understand this because english isn't my motherlanguage^^

How much money is needed depends on the ships. Three ships like the large fleut, treasure galleon, heavy east indiaman, or war galleon could take millions, especially if you want to haul high value cargo like gold. Of course if you are only hauling sailcloth it is much less.
Do you have perhaps a vague "gold per capacity unit" that we could work with?
It depends on the cargo you decide to haul, of course, but there's no way of knowing that in advance.
So we should just use the "generally most expensive" cargo there is in the game, I suppose.

If you've used all your gold to buy trade goods then you don't have lots of gold rattling around in the ship's kitty. Do the crew still become unhappy? That is, do they calculate your total worth and want a share of it, or do they only look at the unspent gold?
Only the gold. So after purchasing the goods, the crew should be much happier again.

And how can I sign articles with my crew? I don't understand this because english isn't my motherlanguage^^
There's an option for it in the F2>Ship menu. Alternatively, talk to a tavern-hired officer.

I usually carry $1-3 million with me and store any excess in the ship locker. It is very rare that I need to stop, run out to the ship and get more money, and run back to the store to buy goods.

But that is also with the old economy. Now I only dabble in trading as the losses are far too high to contemplate filling all holds with my own goods.

I suppose we can look into it properly when I'm not at sea anymore.
Just keep it in mind for then, because it is quite useless to have that whole "morale" feature if it is just an annoyance.

Morale is fine. The risks of hoarding too much loose gold, or putting someone of opposite alignment to yourself in charge of a ship, have been a part of the Build Mod for a long time. Falling morale is an annoyance but it's one which is suitable for the setting, and which is easily countered in game. :onya

How 'bout increasing the maximum gold limit per ship in relation with the Ship Tier?

E.g.
Tier 3 Ships =+1M
Tier 4 Ships = +250k
Tier 5 Ships = and so on.. (I'm not that good in calculations :p)
for the maximum gold you can carry before crew mutinies.

What's going through the crew's heads is, are they going to get more money if they sign articles than if they are paid regular salary? That probably doesn't depend on ship tier but probably does depend on crew numbers. It also depends on how long they expect to wait until the loot is divided, and that's probably going to be influenced by your reputation - they'll be willing to wait longer if you're a Hero than if you're a Horror of the High Seas. And finally, it's going to depend on whether you actually paid the last salary!

Suppose they expect the loot to be divided in 12 months. If the crewman's share is more than 12 times the monthly salary then it's worth asking to sign articles, otherwise they may as well stick with salaries. But if you didn't pay last month's salary then they figure they're only getting paid every two months, which means it's worth demanding to sign articles if the share is more than 6 times the salary. The longer you skip payment, the further that balance shifts in favour of signing articles...

One effect of this is that if you're a peaceful trader, you'll probably keep your crew numbers up, meaning you don't need to worry about signing articles for a while. But if you're a pirate then you're going to take crew losses, which pushes up the share for those that survive - if they're risking their lives for gold then they're going to want a fair share of that gold!

The reason for this feature is to encourage players to switch to Divide the Plunder in the later game as that provides a bit more of an interesting challenge in the long run.

How 'bout increasing the maximum gold limit per ship in relation with the Ship Tier?
Indeed that is the general idea I was having. Need some sort of value per ship per tier.
If someone can give me the numbers, I should be able to come up with the code.

Last edited:
Indeed that is the general idea I was having. Need some sort of value per ship per tier.
If someone can give me the numbers, I should be able to come up with the code.
:thumbs1 - Attention! Me fellow pirates who are good in calculations :type1 or mostly Merchant Captains in the game, you heard Sire Pieter Boelen. Arrrr!:aar

I sail class 5 and class 4 ships. Anything bigger is too big for the economy and anything smaller can not defend itself.

My minimum is $1,000,000 and I usually carry around $3,000,000. That is my comfort zone.

I am also on a quest to see if there is a $50,000,000 limit as some have reported, and am up to $37,000,000 in the ships locker.

Sooo.....
3,000,000 for a Tier 4 ship, then?
2,000,000 for a Tier 5? And then base the numbers on that or so?

Back