• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Crew Payment Issue

Jason Maffettone

Lord of Entropy
Quest Writer
Provisional
Storm Modder
This isn't really a bug so much as a design issue but it is problematic so I am bringing it up here since it should be dealt with.

The option to pat crew salaries happens automatically and almost always, it seems to me, at a transition screen--likely because that's how time progresses. The problem is that often you loose the ability to pay them at these times because the game just moves on into something else. This can create backpay issues for the player and if it happens a bunch of times it seems to stop asking for a long time then you get hiy up for hundreds of thousands in gold all at once or face a mutany.

The "Crew" section under the "Ship" interface should have the option to manually pay any back wages or be set to auto-deduct it when available, maybe giving a warning that it was missed if the funds arn't there. It should actually tell you when it auto-deducys as well so the player doesn't wonder why funds suddenly dissapear and think it's a bug.

I thought Levis had deliberately put the salary payment screen up even when you are on shore to prevent such issues.
That was quite recently. :modding

The payroll screen appears properly on land. The problem for me is that I'm usually getting swords repaired when it happens and am just rattling away at the keys to get it done when, oops what was that? Then the next payday is a big one.

I get that payment screen in blacksmiths sometimes after we have signed articles.

I haven't attempted to sign articals yet because I recall in build 12's version (the last I played before I got a machine that wouldn't run this game) they were NEVER happy when articals were signed no matter how much you seemed to make. Is this better now?

Signing articles seems to work fine. In fact, it seems they remain happy for FAR TOO LONG for some reason.
I reworked the salary morale calculations so your crew shouldn't get too happy on salary alone.
But I think the article-morale-code needs some looking into as well, just to keep it a bit more "down to Earth".

I just altered my auto buy for double rum and always put them on double rum rations. They get pretty damned happy, lol. I'm always at "Heroic" unless we run out.

Not that I noticed so they couldn't have been too bad. What is supposed to happen? Is it just a scroll message (which I largely don't notice) or is there a proper event?

Oh, maybe then. I usually don't pay a huge amount of attention to those. Maybe a flash message would work better. Do you loose any crew? Might be good also if you got taken to your deck and had to deal with a few trouble makers. This feature gets lost in the schuffel as it stands.

Signing articles seems to work fine. In fact, it seems they remain happy for FAR TOO LONG for some reason.
I reworked the salary morale calculations so your crew shouldn't get too happy on salary alone.
But I think the article-morale-code needs some looking into as well, just to keep it a bit more "down to Earth".
It appears to be based on how many crew you have and how much gold you have, resulting in a calculation of how much a crew share is worth compared to average. Each day you get a message that the share is worth X * average. So if you have a small ship and lots of gold then you can keep going for ages, as I found when I was playing the "Assassin" storyline and stuck with the little xebec which you receive at the start. When I added a battleship to my fleet for fort-battering purposes, crew total went up, average share went down, and morale went down too. Likewise, morale stayed high while I've been playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and was only using a flushdeck frigate, though it was beginning to drop slightly. After I'd completed the main quest and had Black Pearl and Sovereign of the Seas, morale dropped sharply and I had to divide plunder pretty quickly! Incidentally, when you're washed overboard and end up on Bonaire with no money, if you've been forced into signing articles before that then you're in real trouble...
How about those drunken brawls? Get any of those? :whipa
Yes, in Beta 3.1. I believe that was fixed in Beta 3.2. When you go into a tavern you may get a brawl. Worse, having once been attacked in a tavern, I am always attacked by the soldiers in every tavern since. Good for some practice and free weapons if you and your officers have high Melee skill and decent armour, otherwise taverns become no-go areas.

Yes, in Beta 3.1. I believe that was fixed in Beta 3.2. When you go into a tavern you may get a brawl. Worse, having once been attacked in a tavern, I am always attacked by the soldiers in every tavern since. Good for some practice and free weapons if you and your officers have high Melee skill and decent armour, otherwise taverns become no-go areas.
Not talking about those. I meant the ones on your ship that make morale drop if you're on double rum rations.

Back