• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ctd speculation

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
My current game has died again. RIP. It is getting farther every time, and I thank you for your work. It's the old assigned to quest group error. I've been looking around in sea.c and found a few lines I recognize. As near as I can tell someone set it up that way to stop some ctds in the past. Anyway, here are the logs if anyone wants to look.

Also, I have found that if it dies because of this one can go back to a save from before it happens and play through ok. Sometimes. Too, look at the screenshots Keith posted of the crowded harbor. That is what happens when it doesn't QUITE ctd.

It's the old assigned to quest group error. I've been looking around in sea.c and found a few lines I recognize. As near as I can tell someone set it up that way to stop some ctds in the past.
If you're talking about this line, that was me and it was for these CTDs so apparently it didn't help. :modding
Code:
if (bAllies(rCharacter)) { Trace("SEA: Error: You assigned allied character " + GetMySimpleName(rCharacter) + " with ID " + rCharacter.id + " to quest group... This is an error!"); continue; } // PB: Attempted fix for CTDs at some islands at some points in some storylines
REALLY stupid problem, this. :boom

Yes it is. It's like I'm on a timer. I can only play for so many hours before it ctds and I have to start over. This is pure speculation, but methinks that for some reason it can't create groups, like egroup and ourgroup, so the player gets lumped into another group called questgroup. What array needs resizing and why?

The array which is said to require resizing is AIGroups, but it's already quite big (its size is 64). I think that those problems occur due to some error in code, so instead deleting groups which aren't used anymore, program tries to create new until reaching maximum amount. After exceeding that number it eventually crashes. I'll download those logs to verify that guessing and try to fix it.

pirate_kk

hello I think I'll ask this question here. I have read a way to minimize experiencing CTD's by changing a line with world... something but i forgot where did I read that. I mostly CTD when going from deck to sea and from worldmap to sea...

I used to get those ctds a lot, but that was 6-8 months ago. It was usually sea.ia group. Is your game fully patched?

This was for Build 13; it involved setting MAPSPEED to 1.0 at the top of PROGRAM\Worldmap\worldmap.c .
It already is by default in Build 14 Beta 1.

This was for Build 13; it involved setting MAPSPEED to 1.0 at the top of PROGRAM\Worldmap\worldmap.c .
It already is by default in Build 14 Beta 1.

Oh ok, its like I'm developing a phobia now when going to sea lol... "I think i better stay away from the port... what should I do on land?" Don't go to sea Rapier or you will see the black screen of death... :shock

Is this a recent development? The way it worked for me was that the game worked well for a while, and then this started. There was no way to stop it, so I just started a new game. :j3

Reinstall? :shrug Nobody likes to do that, but I do it often because I have no patience for the errors. I have done at least three installs since patch 5 came out. :rumgone

I'm having this errors and I don't know what they mean...

Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\interface.c; line: 1561
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: globals.c; line: 258
function 'NativeFindCharacter' stack error
integer function return reference value
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 234
Incorrect copy from array to single
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 236
no memory
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 802
Save - ARef to non existing attributes branch
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialog_func.c; line: 237
function 'TranslateString' stack error
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialog_func.c; line: 237
function 'TranslateString' stack error
RUNTIME ERROR - file: battle_interface\loginterface.c; line: 186
CreateMessage: Invalid Data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialogs\Cabinfight_dialog.c; line: 992
Using reference variable without initializing
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialogs\Cabinfight_dialog.c; line: 993
RUNTIME ERROR - file: dialogs\Cabinfight_dialog.c; line: 993
no memory
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 234
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 236
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 5053
invalid index -1 [size:800]
invalid array index
function 'SwapCabinChests' stack error

What i did is installed the game in a dedicated drive just for POTC then reinstall windows no update no other softwares no internet and it haven't crashed so far. So what POTC needs is a dedicated computer? I don't know but it is working :D

A dedicated gaming computer maybe. I use 2 hard drives. A small one for windoze and the utilities needed to keep it working, and a large one with all my important stuff on it, like PotC.

The "no memory" thing is worrisome, but the others are fairly common. PotC is just a very buggy program, which is one reason for porting it over to the COAS engine.

Back