• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help CTD -When Changing Starter Ship

TheUndreaming

Landlubber
Fresh install with Build 14 2.1 > I installed in C:\Games\POTC, ran Config.exe to uncheck the safe mode, installed the build, the the Lite.exe after that as I heard that added fixes?. Everything seemed to run fine so far. Went into the scripts and changed it so F12 would add the Black Pearl (cursed) and when I did, things seemed to freeze and crash.

I restarted, (uninstalled, installed fresh did same steps above) and this time went into the storyline>standard> main file there to change starter ship to the "Black Pearl" and replaced "LuggerLMV" to "CursedPearl" (I think it was.. currently uninstalled again) but whatevre the ship.name was in ships_init.c and immediately off the bat running the main game EXE it CTD without even loading to main menu...?

Am I doing something wrong to cause these crashes? Should I leave it on safe mode for the sounds I believe it was? Advice would be apprecated as I want the neato foggy black pearl to sail the seas, lol.

Also, I had ENB installed... could that be affecting anything?

The Lite installer does NOT add any fixes; it is just intended for those people who upgraded from the previous release instead of doing a clean install.

Does the game run properly before making your code adjustment?

Note that the cursed Black Pearl is the only ship in the game that has quite a different type of ID from the other ones.
This is the correct line for her:
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,SHIP_CURSED,"Black Pearl",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
This is already in console.c as a sample and you just need to remove the // from it.

oh... ok will try another install w/out the LITE.exe.
>well it seemed to run fine before code adjustment, but I didn't play for very long either.
>Yeah that was the line I first uncommented. Played for a little bit then hit F12, and everything froze. That's when I went for 2nd install, unchecked the safe mode for sound (which I heard would improve something? Maybe?) but instead of the uncommented line I went with the starter ship to "CursedPearl" instead of "LuggerLMV" which was the starter. Don't know if you want me to post code snippets, but will check back later on in the day. Gotta go to work first, heh. After work I'll try fresh install again, w/out LITE, keep safe mode on, and do the uncomment code again.

Will update later *crosses fingers*

EDIT: I wonder if any of the advanced options might've also caused crash... I changed a few options in there with historical compass, changed a few of the realistic settings as well. I'll try leaving as default for 2nd testrun this afternoon as well, just in case.

My recommendation would be to, for testing purposes, do the default install, make no changes other than the one in console, then see what happens.

Vanilla+Build 14 in this case, otherwise the GiveShip2Character function doesn't even exist.

UPDATE: Okay! well good news. I skipped the intro messages (and found out how I could've continue from the deck of the ship ....) hit F12 on the shore, ship turned into the Black Pearl (cursed with all the foggy FX) yay! It worked ^_^ but god so slow.... wonder if that's because of low skills? Even if in Options I checked the mark "can command all ships"?

Okay, so anyways main problem has been solved. But if I can ask 2 last questions before I leave ya'll alone for the time being:

1.) What file could I edit to make Nathaniel run/walk faster? :\ he runs incredibly slow too lol
2.) Already found threads on manipulating the pearl's visibility so that's done there, but is there a way to make my crew look like skeletons at night? :p

2nd question isn't as important, just wanted authenticity lol

==================

Well something entirely different happened to me. After tutorial messages and exit out onto the deck of your ship (haven't even tried the F12 yet). I hit F1 to look up the controls cuz honestly I'm confused at what to do on the deck of the ship... :\ but anyways, went into options, checked out controls and hit the Exit button and suddenly New Game/Load/Resume, all those buttons greyed out and had to exit the game entirely. Odd, lol.

Was going to try to get to the land portion before I hit F12, just in case. have no clue how to get to the port from the ship though.

The buttons being disabled after accessing 'Options' mid-game is intentional, because problems can occur otherwise.
Best to save your game before changing any options, then restart the game and pick up where you left off.

Well something entirely different happened to me. After tutorial messages and exit out onto the deck of your ship (haven't even tried the F12 yet). I hit F1 to look up the controls cuz honestly I'm confused at what to do on the deck of the ship... :\ but anyways, went into options, checked out controls and hit the Exit button and suddenly New Game/Load/Resume, all those buttons greyed out and had to exit the game entirely. Odd, lol.
Not really odd, actually. It's unfortunate that we had to make this happen, but for whatever reason opening the Options menu messes up your loaded game.
So make sure to save before opening the Options menu, then close the game and reload your save after you're done in the menu. Yes, it IS stupid. :(

Note that in the Documentation folder, there's a file "Default Key Assignments.txt" .

Edit: Armada beat me to the punch. :facepalm

So ya wants ta make Nat faster? Well ya will be a'gettin on a familiar note with them "R" an "G" buttons. :aar

Back