• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cursed Ship Decks and Towns

I was just nosing around a couple of threads, out of curiosity, when I found this:

At one point some work was done (and subsequently lost) on enabling the player to go to the other side of Falaise de Fleur, accross the bridge you see.
Maybe there could be something weird on that side?
Now THAT sounds interesting! An entirely new place for the player to discover! :woot
Just throwing a couple of thoughts in off the top of my head:
  • I seem to recall that you can hear about a colony's history from citizens in town, and I swear the other side of Falaise de Fleur was once mentioned... perhaps we could build on that? Maybe something happened which caused the inhabitants to abandon that side...
  • There could be a sidequest related to searching the other side, perhaps for something of value... :treas
  • And of course, there could be cursed inhabitants. :328_skull:
I know this may seem far-fetched, but if someone managed it before... you never know! :shrug

I have thought about that bridge, but having no skills to do anything about it, just let it go. :(

But! I seem to remember a bridge with hanging balls full of prisoners, a beached ship, and cannibals. :nerbz

Off topic, what is the biggest ship you have gotten through that slot? :j2

I was just nosing around a couple of threads, out of curiosity, when I found this:

At one point some work was done (and subsequently lost) on enabling the player to go to the other side of Falaise de Fleur, accross the bridge you see.
Now THAT sounds interesting! An entirely new place for the player to discover! :woot
  • I seem to recall that you can hear about a colony's history from citizens in town, and I swear the other side of Falaise de Fleur was once mentioned... perhaps we could build on that? Maybe something happened which caused the inhabitants to abandon that side...
  • There could be a sidequest related to searching the other side, perhaps for something of value... :treas
I know this may seem far-fetched, but if someone managed it before... you never know! :shrug
If you really want to work on this idea...
1. Paint some sketches... Fulfill the idea...
2. Write up the quest (not code it into game, just write everything into notepad)...
3. Get readdy everything you can figure out...

And mightbe then, if your work/quest/idea will be impressive, I'll help you with custom-location part...

I have a great idea!
How about, it was the meeting beach where once in 10 years Davy Jones was supposed to meet Tia Dalma AKA Calipso? Then, when she didn't show up, he got mad and wreacked the once blooming city? That could be really cool, if we could find survivors who are trying to rebuild they'r hometown but every time he comes and destroys it, could be involved as a side quest to all storylines and a main quest in the Sparrow storyline. Our mission could be, somthing like, calming Davy Jones, then he gets really mad(only in Sparrow storyline) and that could be ANOTHER explanation to why he hates Jack.

But! I seem to remember a bridge with hanging balls full of prisoners, a beached ship, and cannibals. :nerbz
Good point! That would be a great for the DMC quest xD:

Well I've managed a battleship with some room to spare, but I daren't try the new Victory for fear of damaging that masterpiece! :shock

If you really want to work on this idea...
1. Paint some sketches... Fulfill the idea...
2. Write up the quest (not code it into game, just write everything into notepad)...
3. Get readdy everything you can figure out...

And mightbe then, if your work/quest/idea will be impressive, I'll help you with custom-location part...
Well, considering the fact that I start college on Monday, I won't be able to do a huge amount on this idea very soon. :facepalm
I could certainly think up some parts of a potential quest, but I won't have much time for sketches. Although maybe I could sort out a plan for how to get to the bridge, and what's on the other side. :shrug
I reckon, if someone else could help me with the concept/sidequest, and then another person works on the locations, then we could develop a very interesting new twist to the game. :hmm

[quote name='A Drop O' Rum' timestamp='1283509606' post='378175']
I have a great idea!
How about, it was the meeting beach where once in 10 years Davy Jones was supposed to meet Tia Dalma AKA Calipso? Then, when she didn't show up, he got mad and wreacked the once blooming city? That could be really cool, if we could find survivors who are trying to rebuild they'r hometown but every time he comes and destroys it, could be involved as a side quest to all storylines and a main quest in the Sparrow storyline. Our mission could be, somthing like, calming Davy Jones, then he gets really mad(only in Sparrow storyline) and that could be ANOTHER explanation to why he hates Jack.
[/quote] Hmm, including Davy Jones could be an idea, but I think we'd need to research the story of him and Calypso, to find out if it makes sense to involve him there. I was thinking more along the lines of some undead inhabitants, and perhaps the curse could involve the Aztec gold? :j2

Well I've managed a battleship with some room to spare, but I daren't try the new Victory for fear of damaging that masterpiece! :shock
For a laugh, I just dared:

Tight_squeeze.jpg

Any taller and the ship's mainmast would knock the bridge down! :shock
Which reminds me, I think the bridge itself needs repairing if the player can eventually cross it!
Which leads to another idea- we could say that the bridge is now the ONLY way to access the other side; no beaches or ports are there. :d:

I have only tried running that slot in B13, and the largest ships went through ok. So they can make it in B14 too!

All I remember of the islands history is that they tried mining at one time but gave up. Why? Where were the mines located? This could be a big project! There is a whole island to populate. who has done something like this before?

Although I like the idea, there's still a lot of finishing/fixing work that we need to do as well. :(

Pieter, I remember a post by you, accompanied by more Moderators that build 14 beta 1 will stay beta 1 for about 2/3 years. So there is time to finish it all :shrug

Although I like the idea, there's still a lot of finishing/fixing work that we need to do as well. :(
Of course- it's just a concept right now, and I wanted to simply raise awareness about it before the great idea gets lost among other ones from old threads.
Finishing and fixing is our priority, and as explained, I'm certainly not going to have time to work on this idea while I'm helping with completion AND starting college. :no
That's why I really think we still need a new 'to-do' list, which everyone is aware of and has access to. Any chance of starting one?
At the moment it's very hard to tell exactly what is going on! :wacko:

@A Drop O' Rum, I know we have a lot of time in which to finish this, but some things aren't getting done because they are forgotten about and/or abandoned, so many MORE great ideas could be lost if we don't keep tabs on what exactly we're doing.
The more we get finished, the more time we'll have for new ideas! :dance

Well THAT took the wind out of me sails. You are correct. There is a lot of other jobs to finish before starting a new major project. Look at how long Bartholomeu has been working on his quest and he knows what he is doing.

I just so happened to be on Falaise de Fleur in a recent game, so out of curiosity I spoke to a local citizen about the colony's history. :wp
He said that the colony was originally located on the other side of the island, but mere months after it was established, the Spanish destroyed it.
Ten years later, the colony was rebuilt where it is now. Interestingly, where it now stands used to be home to some natives when the original colony was on the other side.
And, as miklkit said, mining was tried at one point, but it didn't work out.
I assume, since it wasn't specified, that it was on the same side as the current colony, though. :shrug
So for future reference, that is the current back story. When we get round to it, we could either build upon it, or make a whole new one! :dance

I suspect it'll take a year or more to finish Build 14 and it'll remain in Beta stage until that time.
Basically, the more fixing/finishing we can do, the quicker we can release.

As for a To-Do list, I hope I can work on making a proper one when I get back home again in a month or two.
Until that time, there's two things that are not too hard that I can think of from the top of my head:
1. Making Town Capture Boarding Locators:
2. Placing citizens in the new towns, who can provide directions, information on the locals, rumours and the history of the town
We've got those in the original game's towns but not in the others.

I've still got my project of Location-Specific Loading Screens going on;
I may try to get somewhere with that before I go back home.

As for a To-Do list, I hope I can work on making a proper one when I get back home again in a month or two.
Until that time, there's two things that are not too hard that I can think of from the top of my head:
1. Making Town Capture Boarding Locators:
2. Placing citizens in the new towns, who can provide directions, information on the locals, rumours and the history of the town
We've got those in the original game's towns but not in the others.
The second point is interesting; I had noticed that most inhabitants in Charlestown, for example, were either thieves or had rare items. :j2
Now I know why... xD:
As for boarding locators, it sounds as though that has needed doing for AGES... I might take a look at that.

It indeed IS a long-standing one. It's sort-of half-done, but never seen all the way through.
It's not too difficult, just requires some time and effort. It would be much appreciated if you could look into that! :bow

Just noting: If someone takes this Idea, note me with PM... I'll promise to do modelling part... But ptobabbly I'll lost this thread soon...

Back